My first track bike FML moment...derp!

RVTPilot

OK, I am usually a glass half full guy, and rarely let stupid shit get to me. This is an accomplishment I am rather proud of, given my penchant for creating and encountering stupid shit situations. At any rate, one of my off-season projects was to replace the tail section on the bike. Can't afford to do the whole bike right now, so Nathan at RD hooked me up with a KILLER deal on an Armour Bodies tail piece. (Hoblick I know I have asked you about the Optimal stuff and promise I will call you for the whole set when the time arrives.....) Well, in preparing last weekend to get the bike in wrenching position in the garage, I removed these two small brackets on the very aft end of the subframe. I did so as A)the were vestigial parts for my previous tail section, and B) I cut the everloving shit out of my right leg on one last year swinging a naked leg over it during a wrenching action. So I figured I would take them off. And then, and this is unlike me as r1crusher will attest, I threw them out. Well, the good folks at Woodcraft found that the better mounting point for their supersport tail is to, you guessed it, these brackets - which are now in the possession of Waste Management, Inc. So my plans for much needed therapeutic bike wrenching and body building are now on hold until I can acquire what I thought to be otherwise useless parts. The only thing tempering my self directed anger is the fact that I can't help but laugh at having done this to myself. So off to the forums to find someone with a stock subframe that might be willing to part with two $2 parts (unless you get them from Ron Ayers, where they will cost you $6.80 each). FML.

At least it was a cheap mistake :dunno: I've done this to myself from having something for years and never touched it, to throwing it out, then needing it a short time later. Sucks, but you know this shit happens just so you can have a laugh at yourself :D

• Upvote 1

They are the two small brackets at the aft end of the subframe that (I am guessing) the stock tail panels or fender mounted to. There are two 10mm head bolts that hold each of them on the subframe, and they hold the very end of the subframe tray in place. Each bracket has two nuts welded to each end of the bracket. They look like this:

post-2488-13690979767498_thumb.png

lol a $12 mistake is fml? haven't you had any projects that snowball into $1-2k wtf am i doing moments?

Hahahaha, true, $12 isn't exactly FML worthy by typical standards. Today just felt like I went out of my way to get into my own way.

My wife can't stop smirking at me, especially since she is always kidding me about the boxes full of parts - most off bikes I no longer own - that clutter my workbench. Thanks all for helping me laugh at myself this evening. Kinda why I like this place.:cheers: