Nothing bad ever happens in Ashtabula....

max power

We average less than 1 homicide per year, we're still on track.

And this one wasn't a spouse (like most of them are) but pretty close. Some disgruntled worshipper with daddy issues.

Also, I'm not sure I'd have shot my own son, even if I were armed and he were pointing a gun at me...

Thoughts?

Edited by magley64

We average less than 1 homicide per year, we're still on track.

And this one wasn't a spouse (like most of them are) but pretty close. Some disgruntled worshipper with daddy issues.

Also, I'm not sure I'd have shot my own son, even if I were armed and he were pointing a gun at me...

Thoughts?

Two so far in the past month. Not sure how that's on track to continue the rate of less than one per year. Looks like neither were spouses by the way...

http://www.wytv.com/mostpopular/story/Youngstown-Man-Murdered-in-Ashtabula/AcwpNZh4DEC2MyxIb-zGXg.cspx

I like Peni.

Max-I have that 7mm ammo to get to you this week for Carwhore, I'll be at Chumleys Fri PM, and my place Sat working on the TH, if either of those work. Or I can meet at the trailer storage off Diley/Basil Western Fri when I go get the TH.

Two so far in the past month. Not sure how that's on track to continue the rate of less than one per year. Looks like neither were spouses by the way...

http://www.wytv.com/mostpopular/story/Youngstown-Man-Murdered-in-Ashtabula/AcwpNZh4DEC2MyxIb-zGXg.cspx

right, one was his dad. The other was a drug deal gone awry...

over a 9 year period from 99 to 08, there were 4.

http://recordspedia.com/Ohio/Ashtabula-County/Crime-Statistics

looks like 2 in 2009 (ex-spouse) and daughter

http://starbeacon.com/local/x905910191/DOUBLE-HOMICIDE

0 for 2010

http://starbeacon.com/local/x905910191/DOUBLE-HOMICIDE

3 for 2011

cord cox, his g/f (drug deal), and the L.A. cafe shooting (bar fight)

2 for 2012 (spouse, daughter)

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_ashtabula/double-murder-mother-daughter-found-dead-on-kain-avenue-near-rt-20-in-ashtabula

and now 2 for 2013

so i count 13 in a 14 year period...

.928 murders per year...

if we can get through the rest of the year, it'll drop to .866

Edited by magley64

I like Peni.

Max-I have that 7mm ammo to get to you this week for Carwhore, I'll be at Chumleys Fri PM, and my place Sat working on the TH, if either of those work. Or I can meet at the trailer storage off Diley/Basil Western Fri when I go get the TH.

Just let me know. I haven't seen ol Chumley in a minute.

In 2010, there was a homicide. It was ruled self-defense, but I believe you yourself have said even in self-defense it is murder. So no, it wasn't 0 for 2010.

I'm sure I'll be able to shoot more holes in your points when I have more free time.

:D

• Upvote 1

alright, then we are at 1 a year on average... (who brought balloons?)

still 14 times more likely to die in a plane crash, even if those murders were random, as opposed to being related to domestic problems and drug deals.

How are you 14 times more likely to die in a plane crash? What's the average number of trips you have to take to make that statistic a probability? I fly less than once a year. Way less than once a year' date=' actually. My boss flies somewhere 2-3x a month.[/quote']

Odds of dying in a plane crash is about 1 in 7000.

Nothing bad has ever happened in my house. You are eleventy hundred times more likely to suffocate from a frying pan.

You must have some defective firearms then. Don't worry, mine are as well. Except for that one bird that walked behind my target at just the right time...

We have a population of over 100,000. 1 homicide makes the simple math estimation 1 in 100,000.

This is yearly odds ratio, IP(and yourself earlier) is/are using stats which cite lifetime odds. You need some fancier math to be able to directly compare them. An extremely oversimplified analysis would be to say that if the average person in the county lives to be 80, and the yearly homicide rate is 1/100,000, then the lifetime odds are 80 * (1/100000) which is 1 in 1250. This is not an actual lifetime odds analysis, but shows that yearly odds are vastly different than lifetime odds, and you cannot compare them directly in a meaningful way.

• Upvote 3

This is yearly odds ratio, IP(and yourself earlier) is/are using stats which cite lifetime odds. You need some fancier math to be able to directly compare them. An extremely oversimplified analysis would be to say that if the average person in the county lives to be 80, and the yearly homicide rate is 1/100,000, then the lifetime odds are 80 * (1/100000) which is 1 in 1250. This is not an actual lifetime odds analysis, but shows that yearly odds are vastly different than lifetime odds, and you cannot compare them directly in a meaningful way.

Your voodoo numbers have no place in this thread.

92.3 WCOL in Cbus is providing FREE CHL classes. Signup is on their site, not sure what the limits are etc. but they are paying for them. Not kidding.

Not related to the topic at all, but I don't give a shit.

It looks like it is females only. I wonder if they will take a pre-op in the interest of fairness

Magley, I've said it before, there are people that will kill you because they want what you have or for no reason at all. Guns are not evil, it is the intent of the person. The only thing that will equalize two people is a gun. The chances of you winning a fight against a gang banger with a gun while only duel wielding elbows is a lot less than if you had a gun. You're inability to process this simple fact is astounding. Your lack of understanding that you don't live in a crime free area is sad. Your attempt at having a debate on the pros and cons of gun control, or lack thereof, is absolutely pitiful. I carry a gun. all the time because I love my life and my family and friends. I will do what I can to protect them at all costs. I'd even protect the life of someone I don't know because that's how much I believe in good over evil. But I will not protect someone that has shown such a lack of intelligence on the subject, and that includes you. As a CHL holder, I would not put myself on the line for someone that would more than likely hold me at fault for saving their life and I believe without a doubt you would do that. As a LEO, I would uphold my oath no matter what.

Edited by chevysoldier
  • Upvote 1