Tattoo people, need advice

ama146

I am thinking of getting this as a tattoo but my concern is it coming out not looking like shit since it is a detailed image. To those that have gotten tattoos, do you know of anyone that is capable of a tattoo like this? Or maybe I could make a few changes to it so it is easier to tattoo?

IMG_20130409_084605.jpg

^^^ Roger this. The bigger it is, the more detail it'll show. Most of the detail is done with shading. If you want it average sized (4"x6"ish), you probably won't get all of the detail you see here, but it won't look terrible. Make it your whole back, you'll be able to read the size off the tire.

Just go to a reputable shop and you shouldn't have any issues.

Getting a tatoo is like looking for a good bike mechanic, lots of people say they can do the work then they end up half assin it.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Dont be like me and get drunk as hell and go to the first shop you come to and end up sporting this shit the rest of your life. The good thing is the name is my first kid, that bad thing is, the guy fucked up the alignment on the name.

005-9_zps481a0aa9.jpg

yeah, you may not get the stickers on the lower fairing or the Star on the A-Star boot or helmet graphics, but a good artist should be able to do most of it.

Blair at Art Bomb in Massillon did mine and he did great.

picture.php?albumid=1676&pictureid=17332

Steve at Truth and Triumph is good, he's gotten awards from tattooing at Hell City, he's my guy and where I have sent some others. No complaints from them so far. Most tattoo artist prefer to draw their own though and not to copycat images, that way there's no duplicates of what you own. However use that pic though to inspire what you want. Matt Clemmer is pretty good too, he's at Wells and Co. There's several good artists in Dayton area and there are the share of shitty ones. I can send you links to their work if you want.

I am thinking of getting this as a tattoo but my concern is it coming out not looking like shit since it is a detailed image. To those that have gotten tattoos, do you know of anyone that is capable of a tattoo like this? Or maybe I could make a few changes to it so it is easier to tattoo?

IMG_20130409_084605.jpg

funny, that's been my avatar on here and Fb for quite some time. Was going to be switching back to that one on here soon.

Talk to Andy Johnson. He just opened his own shop downtown called The Long Street Collective. The dude has serious talent. It took me months to find someone to do my Koi sleeve and I finally decided to go with him.

http://iamandyjohnson.tumblr.com/

P.S. - He isn't the cheapest, but no tattoo should be. This shit is permanent, and the money is worth it.

Go big with it and you will get a lot more detail

This

Dont be like me and get drunk as hell and go to the first shop you come to and end up sporting this shit the rest of your life. The good thing is the name is my first kid, that bad thing is, the guy fucked up the alignment on the name.

005-9_zps481a0aa9.jpg

NOT this :D Dude, that's a cover up waiting to happen.....those lines are blown beyond repair :nono:

If I were to get it on my shoulder blade area, what size would you think k would be appropriate? I don't want it huge but I don't want it tiny either...

If you take a big copy ( 8-1/2 x 11 ) with you it will help to get the most detail in the pic for the artist to use. A GOOD artist will know relatively how big it would need to be to capture the detail you want, but there will surely be some compromise with how large you actually want the piece. If sizing of the tat is large enough to fill a sheet of paper, it's gonna cost you accordingly.

Can't say how much exactly, but on average a tattoo artist will price larger custom work by the hour in the $100-$125'ish/hr ( this is very 'ish - guesstimate compared to around here ) especially your first visit. There could be a flatrate amount too, but like said above.....don't take a sale priced tattoo. Usually the more you go in for ink, the more the rates 'can' drop for repeat biz. But you may get lucky with a good artist that feels particularly generous :D

Good luck and post pics of the work!

Talk to Andy Johnson. He just opened his own shop downtown called The Long Street Collective. The dude has serious talent. It took me months to find someone to do my Koi sleeve and I finally decided to go with him.

http://iamandyjohnson.tumblr.com/

P.S. - He isn't the cheapest, but no tattoo should be. This shit is permanent, and the money is worth it.

I cant find any form of email on his website, do you know how I can send him some pictures and ask him some questions? I really like his black and white, nice deep solid blacks which is really what I need.

If you take a big copy ( 8-1/2 x 11 ) with you it will help to get the most detail in the pic for the artist to use. A GOOD artist will know relatively how big it would need to be to capture the detail you want, but there will surely be some compromise with how large you actually want the piece. If sizing of the tat is large enough to fill a sheet of paper, it's gonna cost you accordingly.

Can't say how much exactly, but on average a tattoo artist will price larger custom work by the hour in the $100-$125'ish/hr ( this is very 'ish - guesstimate compared to around here ) especially your first visit. There could be a flatrate amount too, but like said above.....don't take a sale priced tattoo. Usually the more you go in for ink, the more the rates 'can' drop for repeat biz. But you may get lucky with a good artist that feels particularly generous

Good luck and post pics of the work!

The only issue is the picture I posted on my OP is the biggest picture I can find... Does anyone know of a copy of this picture that is larger and higher resolution? Otherwise this is all I have to go off of.

The only issue is the picture I posted on my OP is the biggest picture I can find... Does anyone know of a copy of this picture that is larger and higher resolution? Otherwise this is all I have to go off of.

The pic will need to be traced onto carbon anyway so it can be stenciled on your back, so the artist can blow it up larger on a copier then add details that would be lost on the enlargement. As long as the pic is legible and close to the size you need, it should suffice

The artist will be able to tell you what size will work best but if you want writing on stickers and such you want to go as big as possible because they may look good when done but if too small in a few years they may not look so good.