Expanded Background Checks DO NOT PASS

Tomcat0403

What is stopping you from using an FFL now if it's that important to you?

Who in the hell is this 90%, it certainly isn't anyone I personally know. It might be some of you nut jobs here but you can't pick all your friends on the internet. I think this number is so wrong that it's laughable for the anti's to use as fact.

I agree completely, if you're not comfortable to sell to someone without a background check/FFL, don't! - it is irresponsible gun ownership in my opinion to sell a gun to someone that you don't know is not a felon or otherwise violent.

And the 90% came from a phone survey done by a University with ~1700 participants. I haven't been able to locate the actual survey yet to determine how they conducted the study, or how they chose their participants, or how they concluded that it was 90%.

I don't understand why people need to be compelled by government laws to do what they think is right. There is no reason at all not to use an FFL if it gives you piece of mind other than it adds cost to your transaction. People that think we aren't taxed enough are free to send in all the extra money they seem fit but they don't, they wait for the government to compel them.

There is no law to require me to wear a helmet but I think it's the right thing to do so I do it. That decision cost me money but it's worth my peace of mind.

OK, I sort of found info on the study, they don't seem to have an official write up, just cliff's notes really - a poll of 1700 people from (ONLY) VA, NJ, and PA is apparently sufficient to say that 90% of our nation wants background checks for every firearm transfer. Check out the question they asked too - VA and NJ residents answered the question: are you in favor of "requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows,"... at gun shows. Only PA people answered the question of if they are in favor of background checks for all gun buyers.

I'm hoping that there is another source that has better collected evidence to support using the 90% stat.

are you in favor of "requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows,"

The people that own guns know that it is already required and those that don't know the difference think it should be. The results aren't hard to understand when you see the question. This certainly doesn't support the assumption that the majority of those surveyed think additional laws need to be put in place as the anti's are trying to infer.

Here's a question for the next survey. "Did you know that you are required to get a background check at a gun show when purchasing a firearm from a dealer?"

How about "Are you in favor of requiring private individuals to conduct a background check when selling their personal property to friends and family?"

Another “Did you know that when purchasing a firearm from the internet it has to be shipped to a FFL for a required background check?” (Yes I’m away of some of the issues to this.)

I agree 100%. Gathering info on the person's previous knowledge of the topic may help shed light on results.

From what I'm reading, after this initial study (end of January), similar results were gathered from OH, FL and a few other states.