How bad is Nelson really?

soad

I keep on hearing conflicting stories about Nelson Ledges track quality. I'm on the fence about doing a track day there, it'll be my 2nd one ever. On the plus side, its the closest to me(aside from Mid-O, but I can't make a monday or tuesday track day, assholes), and the cheapest.

However, from pics and videos I see, it looks like I'll be in for a rough, rough ride. I'm from Michigan and I don't see roads that look as bad as this TRACK.

Does the track condition inhibit riding, and having fun? Most importantly fun.

My $.02...my first time there was last year after years of doing track days sporadically. After the first session, which I was tiptoeing through, I turned to r1crusher and said "I would rather be at work." After hearing myself utter those ridiculous words, I went out the next session and went faster. Then the next session, then the next. Like Nathan said, the faster you go, the better it (and all tracks IMHO) is. It is not pristine by any stretch of the imagination. But it also has some really fun spots that you can get over, get a knee down, and wrench the grip. And this is coming from one of the slower kids in the group! Take my advice after my having talked shit on a track I had been to but never ridden. Go. It's still the track, and it will be fun. As blue06who69'sr1crusher said, it's not Mid OH. Not a lot of places are.

Where is Desmo-Brian, he is the best to break this track down. He used to HATE IT, I mean hate it, now he races almost/if not every MS event there.

So far everyone is correct, yeah it's not Mid O, or Grattan, or even Pitt/Beaver, but it's fine. It actually gets kinda old to hear people b*tch about it because until you've rode it, you have no idea what it's like. The facilities are the worst you will find anywhere yes, but the track is fun, and really a good one to learn on I think. Plus the price is right with MS, and it's always on Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon(sometimes), so it makes sense.

MS puts on a great event too, their staff(Although mostly gay) are really good, and friendly. Not to mention there are people there that will help all the time. It's a huge family up there and there are guys here who run super fast, but will still take the time to work with you etc.

I know I plan to be hitting Desmo-Brian, and some of that crew up for some tows this season too. Figure I will get some from the staff, Trmm8tr, Jbot, Blue062356234523(if he ever shows up), Murse, etc.

And if you can wait around Saturady night into Sunday, it's the best time you'll have at the track, food, drinks, and fun.

I have a slightly different perspective than some of these guys. Nelson was where I first started doing track days so I had no other tracks to compare or base it off of. My first impression when showing up was, "Wow, what is this dump?" But I had paid for my trackday already and was going to get my moneys worth. After the first few sessions (in the rain) in the morning I had learned my way around the track a little, and found all the patchwork to be usefull as reference points for break markers, turn in markers, etc. Most of them aren't that bad and offer plenty of grip. At the end of the day I was buzzing around at decent novice pace on a dry track. I had completely forgotten any of the stories I had heard about the track's condition and was just out riding and having fun! I came back, again, and again, and now I can't think of a better place to spend a weekend, having fun with friends from staff to other riders, enjoying riding and racing. (poorly)

So forget all that nonsense you've heard and just give it a shot. Worse case scenario is you hate it and you never come back but I doubt that will be the case. And don't forget to hit up Dave and Tony's Bistro for breakfast and lunch!

Alright, sounds good. Looking at hitting it up May 4th. Recommend anything to bring? I'm just gonna rent a U haul trailer and probably stay the night friday at a hotel. Where is the cheapest place nearby?

Never done anything but camped there. I think there's a few here that will be camping at the track Friday night, possibly including myself.

If you are still pretty new to track days and running novice group, I would focus on bringing yourself, a well prepped bike ready for trackdays (including keys and gas), and plenty of water and fluids. You will be busy in the classroom between sessions so you probably won't need chairs/easy up. If you happen to need tools or something, a lot of us carry pretty stocked toolboxes and pretty much anything else you would need with us and are always willing to help out.

Here's my take.

As a racer and at some of the speeds we were getting close to, it started to get dangerous. That being said, track days are an easy and fun way to get to know Nelson.

It's no Mid-Ohio. For sure. But, it isn't any worse than Gingerman or even really, Beaver. Again, those tracks are not going to look as bad and are going to have better facilities and amenities etc. But, Nelson has a fast line. It's there and we still can pull 09s easily. I know we can do faster, but for Moto-Series and in general, it works.

Reasons why to go to Nelson with Moto Series:

-Friends and the people there with the org. Great peeps, great race friends and track day buddies. Overall awesome feel. I associate it with when I first started racing and the fraternity feel we had. It later got to be a job almost and lost the fun factor. Moto Series provides GREAT competition. Look at the lap times with WERA. Right there. But, it has that fun factor that makes it a joy and you end up smiling all the time.

-Challenge. Yes, the track has bumps, it has issues and it has some safety things that I even still am concerned about. BUT, it is also a challenge to fight your feelings and ride the damn track. There is a fast line and as you grow with the track and learn that line, it gets not only faster, but easier also.

-The location makes sense. The cost, travel expenses, etc. All factors. Sure, come on down to Mid-Ohio, get to Beaver (Moto Series also) and do a Putnam. But, if you are in Ohio and for the money, you can't beat it.

In the end, great place for track days 100%. Great racing and solid if not some of the best competition in the region. So, you get both slices. Fun and competition.

Give it a try.

it is also a challenge to fight your feelings and ride the damn track.

It's mostly mental. Usually when I'd be shitting my pants trying to find the smooth line through 456 some SV on primitive suspension would whip around me on the outside. One day I followed a guy straight out of the pits on dead cold tires, followed him through there, felt like an easy pace, didn't notice any bumps, and the data says that is the fastest I have gone through that section ever.

That track bothers me, and it bothers me that it bothers me, because I know at any pace I run it's pretty much all in my head. YMMV.

If you are thinking about a hotel Friday and it's just you, you're more than welcome to crash with Murse and I in my toy hauler, you literally can have your own room, the garage, but I have a XXL cot and blankets. It's heated, and Murse and I will try not to ass fuck you in our sleep. We can't always control that.

But for real, if you are coming and just running Saturday, check out the track day list in this section, bring some stuff, mainly fluids, gas, and we will have the rest with us. I'll be rolling in mid evening Friday with Murse, huge F250 Dark Shadow Gray and a Toy Hauler in tow, we have plenty of room, and may even have extra food. Feel free to stick around Saturday night too, we are having a meet n greet kinda event for the OR clan.

If you are thinking about a hotel Friday and it's just you, you're more than welcome to crash with Murse and I in my toy hauler, you literally can have your own room, the garage, but I have a XXL cot and blankets. It's heated, and Murse and I will try not to ass fuck you in our sleep. We can't always control that.

But for real, if you are coming and just running Saturday, check out the track day list in this section, bring some stuff, mainly fluids, gas, and we will have the rest with us. I'll be rolling in mid evening Friday with Murse, huge F250 Dark Shadow Gray and a Toy Hauler in tow, we have plenty of room, and may even have extra food. Feel free to stick around Saturday night too, we are having a meet n greet kinda event for the OR clan.

Just look for the two most awkward looking motherfuckers you've ever seen.

There may be a fast line that isn't as bumpy, but as a track day virgin I RARELY ever rode that line. Nelson was my first track EVAR and it was in the rain. Because ofvthat i had a new found respect and confidence in my tires. Like someone said, a lot of it is mental...but it is bumpy, and for a newb T13 can be a little precarious turning out of T12 into what seems like rolling hills.

With that said, you'll be in novice and though the CRs are a bit flamboyant and homoerotic...they'll take care of you on and off the track. Ask questions, hydrate, have fun out there.

I may also be hosting slumber parties at my house (like 45min away... I like sleeping in my own bed when possible) for some of you who I don't hate.

Yeah man, I will definitely keep this in mind if there's an event Murse can't make it to and I am running solo. Wait, "for some of you who I don't hate." Shit, guess I will spoon with Craig.

Thanks guys for the info. I was really worried about the track, honestly. My bike is old and has stock shitty suspension. I just won't push it as hard as I did at Mid-O.

You guys are awfully nice, too. Seem like a good group of guys. Just so you guys know, I remain undefeated at gay chicken.

Me and my buddy will hopefully be showing up, and we both enjoy showering. Sometimes together, you know, water and time conservation.........but thanks for offering a stranger a place to lay his head for the night.

Whats the alcohol policy at Nelson? not while riding, obviously, but i'm thinking about sticking around to watch some racing, and the meet and greet thing you guys were talking about.

There will be plenty of people enjoying some adult beverages. After the riding is over of course. It's allowed especially if you aren't racing Sunday. I'll probably even have a few myself but I hold off on getting smashed when I gotta race the next morning. But by all means stay Saturday night and get as fucked up as you want.