Bike won't start

Omega

I am hoping you all can point me in the right direction.

After a spirited weekend of riding, I put it away to rest. This afternoon it won't start. Key on (pump cycles), clutch in, press starter button and nothing. It doesn't engage the starter.

Can you help with trouble shooting? I haven't checked the battery voltage but I will most likely pick up a new battery as I think this one is the original.

The bike is my 2008 Hayabusa.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a dead battery. Check the voltage on the battery when you get a chance.

Did you keep it on a trickle charger over the winter/early spring?

Oh, and definitely check the kill switch....

Not to be a smartass, but kill switch?

Sent while riding

Sounds like a dead battery. Check the voltage on the battery when you get a chance.

Did you keep it on a trickle charger over the winter/early spring?

Oh, and definitely check the kill switch....

No offense taken. Sometimes these minute details are often overlooked. Alas, this is not the case.

I keep it on a trickle charger if it sits longer than a few days (and all through the winter)

I had this happen with a dead battery. The thing actually died at a gas station before a ride. I suspected electrical problems but once somebody pushed enough to get a bump start, if fired right up. New battery fixed me right up. (old one was the stocker that was 8 years old.) I think battery tenders hide the symptoms of an otherwise dying battery.

Probably the battery then, mine is still on it's stock '08 battery too but I can tell the amps are slowly dropping little by little when I fire it up. Fuel pumps and instrument lamps dont draw nearly what the starter does. Check the battery's volts/amps if you have a multi meter handy to be sure it's not a faulty connection, but probably end up replacing it.

Edited by Hellmutt

Battery sounds suspect. Check the terminal connections to verify they are tight too. The battery may show good voltage just sitting, leave the leads on the battery and see what the voltage drop is when you hit the start button.

Sent while riding

Thanks for the quick responses. I just checked my aftermarket lever and it must have been bumped to the lowest setting and not letting the clutch switch engage.

All is right in with the world again.

You guys rule.

Thanks for the quick responses. I just checked my aftermarket lever and it must have been bumped to the lowest setting and not letting the clutch switch engage.

All is right in with the world again.

You guys rule.

Awesome. Cheapest fix ever!