Need an upper half

AndonD454

Hey guys, I have had a complete AR lower half sitting around forever and it's finally time to start looking for its better half. I need a complete upper assembly that fits the following:

18ish " barrel

.223 (or 5.56)

Fairly accurate

1:8 or 1:7 twist

No bull barrel (hate the awkward front-loaded weight)

Doesn't have to be in stock ATM, I can wait a few months

Under 700 dolla

Readdddyyyyy.... Go!

Do you guys own any of these companys' products? It would be helpful to know if you have had positive experiences in the past, especially with build quality.

Thanks!

Build quality and rep is excellent, honestly hard to go very wrong with most anyways. The BCG and barrel is where many like to spend extra money where it isn't even needed or gonna make much of a difference, a good trigger job and some nice furniture is worth it though. You can't be real picky these days, take what ya can get.

Anything from Palmetto is price wise a good choice.

That 18 inch barrel severely limits the choices.

Most stuff is 16 or 20.

The two 18 inch barrel uppers I listed have stainless steel barrels.

There are no sights. You'll need a pair of sights and/or optics.

edit: make sure you're looking at a 5.56 and not a 6.8 or other caliber.

Edited by ReconRat

Anything from Palmetto is price wise a good choice.

That 18 inch barrel severely limits the choices.

Most stuff is 16 or 20.

The two 18 inch barrel uppers I listed have stainless steel barrels.

There are no sights. You'll need a pair of sights and/or optics.

edit: make sure you're looking at a 5.56 and not a 6.8 or other caliber.

I could do anything 16-20.. I actually prefer a shorter barrel on an AR but I am hoping to make this more of a hunting/target gun since I already have a civilian carbine. If the extra 4 inches is going to be worth the bulk, I have no problem going 20. I also don't want a 15+ lb gun since I'll be chasing pigs from time to time.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

you planning on going with a chrome moly lined or a stainless barrel? Chrome lined is usually a little more costly, but the stainless is slightly more accurate. In my opinion they are both just as easy to clean. The chrome barrel will allow you to shoot steel case ammo easier vs the stainless. When you go to make your barrel selection look at your twist rate, the higher the twist rate, the more accurate over longer ranges, I personally like a 1:7 but a 1:9 will suffice too.

you planning on going with a chrome moly lined or a stainless barrel? Chrome lined is usually a little more costly, but the stainless is slightly more accurate. In my opinion they are both just as easy to clean. The chrome barrel will allow you to shoot steel case ammo easier vs the stainless. When you go to make your barrel selection look at your twist rate, the higher the twist rate, the more accurate over longer ranges, I personally like a 1:7 but a 1:9 will suffice too.

My current barrel is a 16" 1:9 chrome lined so I think I want this one to be longer, with more twist and not chrome lined. 1:7 seems about right