Open carry lawsuit out of Dayton.

4DAIVI PAI2K5

I will just leave this here.

Uses a computer-aided dispatch system, receive emergency calls from the public requesting police, fire, medical or other emergency services. Determine the nature and location of the emergency; determine priorities, and dispatch police, fire ambulance or other emergency units as necessary and in accordance with established procedures. Receive and process 911 emergency calls, maintain contact with all units on assignment, maintain status and location of police and fire units. Monitor direct emergency alarms, answer non-emergency calls for assistance. Enter, update and retrieve information from a variety of computer systems. Receive requests for information regarding vehicle registration, driving records and warrants, and provides pertinent data. Monitor several complex public safety radio frequencies. Operate a variety of communications equipment, including radio consoles, telephones and computer systems.

Not seeing anything that says is a dispatchers job to decide if a crime is commited or not. Their duty is to determine priority and collect information to pass onto the responding officer/fire/ems. Not to determine if there is a crime commited.

I should have clarified, my disagreeing was based on your "lack of training" comment.

For Columbus 911, it's 6 weeks classroom, 8 - 12 weeks on the job training, and a one year probation period.

To me, that sounds like quite a bit of training.

Now, to your comment as the whether they should determine if something is a crime or not, please read this(especially the part that says IMPORTANT):

In an emergency, call 911 or your local emergency number immediately from any wired or wireless phone.

An emergency is any situation that requires immediate assistance from the police, fire department or ambulance. Examples include:

• A fire
  • A crime, especially if in progress
  • A car crash, especially if someone is injured
  • A medical emergency, such as someone who is unconscious, gasping for air or not breathing, experiencing an allergic reaction, having chest pain, having uncontrollable bleeding, or any other symptoms that require immediate medical attention

Important: If you’re not sure whether the situation is a true emergency, officials recommend calling 911 and letting the call-taker determine whether you need emergency help.

When you call 911, be prepared to answer the call-taker’s questions, which may include:

• The location of the emergency, including the street address
  • The phone number you are calling from
  • The nature of the emergency
  • Details about the emergency, such as a physical description of a person who may have committed a crime, a description of any fire that may be burning, or a description of injuries or symptoms being experienced by a person having a medical emergency

Remember, the call-taker’s questions are important to get the right kind of help to you quickly.

Be prepared to follow any instructions the call-taker gives you. Many 911 centers can tell you exactly what to do to help in an emergency until help arrives, such as providing step-by-step instructions to aid someone who is choking or needs first aid or CPR.

Finally, do not hang up until the call-taker instructs you to.

If you dial 911 by mistake, or if a child in your home dials 911 when no emergency exists, do not hang up—that could make 911 officials think that an emergency exists, and possibly send responders to your location. Instead, simply explain to the call-taker what happened.

Furthermore, I'll follow up with this:

If someone calls 911 to report a person open carrying a firearm, I would hope the 911 operator would have enough training to realize this is NOT an emergency UNLESS further information was given(meaning the person carrying was doing something else to constitute committing a crime).

Now, if the second was the case with this incident, I highly doubt the police officers would have just strolled up to the open carrying individual and started asking questions...most likely, the officers would have come in guns drawn, sweeping the place, as if a crime was currently being committed.

Because things DIDN'T happen the second way, we are led to believe that it was a basic 911 call stating a guy has a gun on his hip, and yes...that should have been deemed NOT an emergency(or crime) by the 911 operator.

Don't try to read more into this than what it is.

It's very simple, cut, and dry.

BTW, the Chief of Police in this case has a history being anti open carry. He was sued and lost when he was an LT in Michigan.

http://forums.officer.com/t145512/

Judging from his comments on the topic, I find that very easy to believe.

If he keeps his job in any type of law enforcement position, it truly is a shame.

Furthermore, I'll follow up with this:

If someone calls 911 to report a person open carrying a firearm, I would hope the 911 operator would have enough training to realize this is NOT an emergency UNLESS further information was given(meaning the person carrying was doing something else to constitute committing a crime).

Now, if the second was the case with this incident, I highly doubt the police officers would have just strolled up to the open carrying individual and started asking questions...most likely, the officers would have come in guns drawn, sweeping the place, as if a crime was currently being committed.

Because things DIDN'T happen the second way, we are led to believe that it was a basic 911 call stating a guy has a gun on his hip, and yes...that should have been deemed NOT an emergency(or crime) by the 911 operator.

Don't try to read more into this than what it is.

It's very simple, cut, and dry.

Your right. Its the dispatchers job to determine if its a emergency and assiggn a priority level to the call. Not to tell a caller that someone carring a firearm on their hip isn't a crime. BTW their "trianing" is in codes radio etiquette and the computer system ;) not orc

OK, fair enough, I'll play along...

Hypothetically situation #1.

You call into 911, and state a man is in your convenience store, and that he is carrying a pistol on his hip.

What level of priority and emergency is that?

It depends on units available somewhere between school shooting and cat stuck in a tree.

It depends on units available somewhere between school shooting and cat stuck in a tree.

Pretty broad range, lol...but OK.

Hypothetical situation #2.

You call 911 and report a woman pushing a baby stroller in your convenience store.

What level of priority and emergency is that?

Once again same answer. If there was a 911 call made a unit will be sent out.

I don't think you're understanding what I'm getting at, or you're just playing dumb...

If you call 911 with a bogus call, YOU'RE the one the police are coming to see...not to check out the situation.

Same thing as calling 911 because your McDonalds french fries are cold. The police aren't going to investigate McDonalds, they're going to investigate YOU.

If you can't comprehend that, you're dumber than you're trying to act by beating around the questions I'm asking.

Reporting a man with a gun on his hip to 911 is not an emergency on any level. It's not a priority either. Anyone who thinks it is should not be in law enforcement, or have a job as a 911 dispatcher.

The world is truly full of idiots!

I give up...

I don't think you're understanding what I'm getting at, or you're just playing dumb...

If you call 911 with a bogus call, YOU'RE the one the police are coming to see...not to check out the situation.

Same thing as calling 911 because your McDonalds french fries are cold. The police aren't going to investigate McDonalds, they're going to investigate YOU.

If you can't comprehend that, you're dumber than you're trying to act by beating around the questions I'm asking.

Reporting a man with a gun on his hip to 911 is not an emergency on any level. It's not a priority either. Anyone who thinks it is should not be in law enforcement, or have a job as a 911 dispatcher.

The world is truly full of idiots!

My point is that its not the dispatcher job to dertemine if a CRIME has been committed. Their job is to determine what level of priority each call has and DISPATCH the unit to said call. Being a murder in progress to the husband won't do the dishes. If a dispatcher takes a call they are not going to tell the caller their husband not doing the dishes isn't against the law and no one is coming out. It the OFFICERS job to detrmine that.