What's the best stuff to clean your chain with?

Casper

WD-40 will soften your chain and make it stretch prematurely.
Proof or just what you've heard? Seems to be a whole lot of people who've used nothing but WD40 to clean their chains and have seen 15-20k out them. I'm genuinely curious.

Proof or just what you've heard? Seems to be a whole lot of people who've used nothing but WD40 to clean their chains and have seen 15-20k out them. I'm genuinely curious.

Oh, Iv'e seen it first hand. I sprayed my chain with it once and saw it sag under it's own weight all the way to the ground. Like an overcooked piece of spaghetti.

p.s. Iv'e used the stuff since day one. Always had the cleanest chains and never had any failure or issue. WD-40 rocks!

Which only starts to congeil when cold I can't start the bike when its less than 40 degrees outside. Never had a problem with it. And your purple power eats seals I only use it for engines

I meant that as a positive... But I'll go back to personal experience, never had a problem with seals, or sea otters, or walrus, 20-25k out of a chain, and I'm not gentle with it.

Yes, I extract it myself.

No shame in extracting unicorn sperm...you'd know this if you'd ever done it.

I sell it too.

$1000 for an ounce, but your chain will last forever.

It actually brings old chains back to life.

It'll make your sprockets like new too.

Wanna buy some?

Sorry.. I mean Switzerland. :)

104_l.jpg

THIS!!! This stuff is the shit. We used it exclusively with the KTM race teams and demo bikes. The demo bikes were constantly abused.

But, as Gixxie stated - it's less about how you clean it and more about how you lube the chain...

+1

It's not that WD-40 is bad for the o-ring, but rather it is a repentant and it breaks down the grease on the chain. Kerosene is oil based and shouldn't do that. Or something sciencey like that. :confused:

Incorrect, sir.

WD40 Myths and Facts

I'll let that link explain it.

I use WD to thoroughly clean the chain, but I do not spray it directly on the chain. I use a good heavy duty rag, saturate that, and clean. Repeat as necessary using clean parts of the rag. Once done with that, final wipe with another clean rag then either a brief 5 min. ride or letting it run on the stands to warm the chain. Apply your favorite chain lube and you're done.

I normally use kerosene to clean and the Dupont chain lube above for lubing. But before the epic ride, I was out of kerosene, so I used WD-40 to clean. At the end of the day, my wheel was dirtier than it's ever been. I don't know if the WD-40 kept the lube from sticking or what, but I never had that issue with kerosene.

Just got 26K miles out of my last chain on the 1000. Wiped with a rag, sprayed with Honda Pro-Lube with moly & wiped down again every 300 to 500 miles.

This except I use the ProLube with Graphite. Lube & wipe every 500 and clean w/Motorex every 1,500 or so. 26k on the oem chain as well though the viffer. Probably get a few more out of this one since a VFR800 is probably less hard on a 530 chain than a CBR1k. (Though it still has to move my 230#.)