Under Deck Storage Area Project

Bad324

I have a large deck that sits about 5ft off the ground and in an attempt to rid my garage of a lot of clutter I am wanting to do something along these lines. So far the easiest idea I know I can tackle myself without it looking awful and not being super expensive is outlined in this video:

http://www.todayshomeowner.com/video/how-to-build-a-storage-area-under-a-deck/

Basically just get lattice sheets for the "walls" backed with landscaping fabric to hide whats under there. The roof to drain water would simply be some corrugated tin roofing panels on a slope. I need to check my measurements but to do the whole thing I'm estimating would cost about $500

Before I start this I'm open to other ideas or solutions that might be easier and/or cheaper if anyone has one. If not I'll go this route and update with pictures and what not. I should have gotten before during and after pictures of the refinishing process on the deck itself as it hadn't been touched in years and looked terrible

I like the landscaping fabric idea. I'm going with the plastic white lattice positioned so it's not diamond shaped. Don't want to have to stain and preserve more wood.

go to sam's for the landscape fabric if you have a membership

cheaper than Home Depot? I have a bunch of HD gift cards from Christmas and my birthday that I've been saving for this project

Yeah, I kept meaning to do this since I had that boat under my deck, and never did. We had seen it in NH at my cousins wedding and it was slick. Their deck actually was high enough(stilts) that you could walk in, then the ground sloped into the hillside, but it was awesome for sure. They had electric lights and everything. Similar to a crawl space but out doors.

My deck is about 3' from the floor so it doesn't make sense to try and store stuff under the entire length, but I can make the lattice panels hinged and store things under the deck close to the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

well step 1 has been completed. Pictures arent the best as it was getting late, its actually a decently bright redwood stain. Hoping this week and weekend I can start on enclosing it. I forgot before pics but this entire deck was gray looking

51C0052D-6900-4604-AE4B-3B5EAE85725E-311

34BB8624-C41A-4E9F-989B-155E0968732A-311

0992A713-DE8D-4766-87EA-DEDE10CD2606-311

Looks good, did you spray the bottom or no?  Mixed reviews when I looked online about what to do with mine.  I used a plain colorless sealer last year and still get some water beading.  Needs done again but 12 months and used the cheapest stuff they had.

If the house doesn't sell I plan on replacing a bunch of hand rails etc when we are home with the baby.  Then powerwashing it and resealing it later.

I did not do the bottom since I'm going to put the roofing panels to keep under it somewhat dry underneath. Hoping what I have left is enough to stain the lattice I want to put up

• 4 weeks later...

alrighty I'm hoping to get to the 2nd step before I leave for vacation mid July and found the route I'm going to take:

Lowe's has Tuftex DeckDrain system that I'm going to use in order to divert the water:

http://www.lowes.com/Search=tuftex?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=tuftex#!

As far as what I'm going to do for the sides, I had planned on wood lattice however I found Lowe's has a vinyl one that might match my deck close enough to make me happy. For as much lattice as I'll need to put up, the price difference might drive me back to the wood and just staining it which the cheap side of my brain is saying. The lazy side says pay up front for the vinyl and not worry about having the pain of staining the lattice in the future

Lattice is junk, even the plastic stuff is, so the cheap side may win this battle.  By junk, I mean it's all made so cheaply I think the cheaper the better as you will be replacing it at some point I am sure, plastic, wood, metal, whatever it is made of.

So far that looks good.  There's one done with wood lattice I passed yesterday on way to church.  Same concept exactly as yours, except no water diversion, just used the deck as a roof.

Lattice is junk, even the plastic stuff is, so the cheap side may win this battle.  By junk, I mean it's all made so cheaply I think the cheaper the better as you will be replacing it at some point I am sure, plastic, wood, metal, whatever it is made of.

So far that looks good.  There's one done with wood lattice I passed yesterday on way to church.  Same concept exactly as yours, except no water diversion, just used the deck as a roof.

So long as whatever option lasts me 4-6 more years then I'll be happy. At that point, if all goes as planned this house will be up for sale for an upgrade!