Whatsa behind me is important!

Strictly Street

I can't see!

Whatever is behind me is invisible to my fairing mounted rear view mirrors. I can see the lane next to me but that is all. It's kinda scary not knowing how fast the car or truck is approaching from behind at a light. Or if they are going to stop. Escaping in the nick of time once before by running the light before getting run over it's now something I look for.

both-photos.jpg?w=6276a00d8341c630a53ef0133f4ee504d970b-640wi

On the highway a semi truck could be behind me and I would have no clue it was there. Or worse yet it could be the choppers chasing me down over the change ($1.85) I found on 270! :)

I can't be the only person with fairing mounted mirrors that has had this trouble. Any advice or ideas from the OR peeps on this one?

Edited by Strictly Street
  • Upvote 1

here's one for ya...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOeR18b2hKs

i feel strongly that being a defensive rider/driver is your best tool. I would have never stopped behind these 2 bikes and that car. you don't stop for a funeral like that on the opposite side of the road. the 2 bikes up front were just as much at fault as the pickup in this case.

Edited by serpentracer

here's one for ya...

i feel strongly that being a defensive rider/driver is your best tool. I would have never stopped behind these 2 bikes and that car. you don't stop for a funeral like that on the opposite side of the road. the 2 bikes up front were just as much at fault as the pickup in this case.

That's one scary video. I thought about different mirrors but which ones? Possibly bar end mirrors or just replace the stock with something else, but what?

Hoping to find somebody that has done this and has positive results.

Right now the mirrors show me my own shoulders, just in case I was wondering where they were I guess. Maybe something aftermarket that is longer or adjustable or something.

These are supposed to eliminate blind spots

http://www.reevu.com/

Interesting idea. Anybody tried this product?

here's one for ya...

You don't stop for a funeral like that in Ohio . And no, the bikes are no where near as at fault add a driver who hit a vehicle that hard from behind. It takes a serve lack of perception and far too much speed to go 2 car lengths too far AND still hit another vehicle.

I have a bar end mirror and dont know how I ever rode without it. All I see in it is traffic behind me and it has such a wide view I can even see in the OPPOSITE lane. Look into CRG Hindsight mirrors.

i put blindspot mirrors on my stock mirrors and i can see everything just fine.....my stock mirrors are long enough i guess that i can already see directly behind me....they like to look at my elbows, but some fine tuning adjustments (moving the mirror itself, and the arms) and i got past it

It's kinda scary not knowing how fast the car or truck is approaching from behind at a light. Or if they are going to stop. Escaping in the nick of time once before by running the light before getting run over it's now something I look for.

Mirrors are worthless. You should get really loud pipes. If you rev them while sitting at a light people will hear you and stop.

Someone should come up with a radar system like cars have for auto breaking except it warns you when someone is coming up hot so you can get out of the way. I have been lane splitting lately in stopped traffic downtown. I saw a horrible rear ender last night in Elyria, looked like the guy never took his foot off the gas and the trunk of the car he hit was in the back seat with both cars 70 feet into the intersection. A bike would have been demolished!

Edited by JStump

Someone should come up with a radar system like cars have for auto breaking except it warns you when someone is coming up hot so you can get out of the way.

I'd prefer a radar-activated clarymore that blows up rear-ending car. :bow:

Bar-end mirrors FTW. I went through about 3 sets of mirrors before I got some CRG Arrows and I couldn't be happier. My rear visibility is awesome.

I've seen some prototypes online of helmets with rear view cameras in them which project on the face shield. Seems distracting to me but Italy work out nice.

You don't stop for a funeral like that in Ohio .

People DO stop for funeral processions, or at least slow way down here around Central Ohio.

I never ran into that up in NE Ohio where I'm from originally, first time I came across one down

this way I damn had an accident like that truck!

I've always been taught to stop for funerals. Just like you stop for emergency vehicles.
Same and I know in the south (TN) they stop on both sides of the road.

Must be a regional thing :dunno:

Edited by SWing'R

Same here, I put on shorter after market mirrors, and I look at my elbows a bit.

To see directly behind, I have to pull the elbow in a bit.

Which I've gotten used to doing when I look in the mirror.

Seems like people seem to like bar end mirrors a lot.

I have a CRG bar end mirror on my left bar. using MX bars on a SV1k. Love it. convex design, and lets me see all I need to behind me. Pricey. Aluminum.

http://tinyurl.com/agmzemp

$104 each sure is pricey but the design seems like it would work for me. Although I have bar end caps on it already. Wonder about bar buzz if I took the weighted ones off.
Bar-end mirrors FTW. I went through about 3 sets of mirrors before I got some CRG Arrows and I couldn't be happier. My rear visibility is awesome.
I'm on my second set of mirrors and I still can't see. Something about to much middle to pull in the shoulders or elbows far enough to actually see. Looks like time to take some measurements to see what would fit and hit up fleabay for some options.

Although I gotta admit this one sounds pretty good too!

I'd prefer a radar-activated clarymore that blows up rear-ending car. :bow:
Sadly it wouldn't help seeing if the choppers were behind me or seeing a rider behind me go down on one of our rides. Edited by Strictly Street

I like my bar end mirrors. The only draw back is that they are not in my riding field of vision , they require me to look down. So if there was a cage about to hit me, I wouldn't catch it.

People stop for funerals in the south, so beware. Small towns and rural areas in the Midwest, it is not uncommon to see people stopping or pulling over for funerals.

Larger cities, fahgetabout it. Rarely if ever do I see that kind of courtesy or respect. At least in a small town or the south, good chance the deceased is a cousin, friend or acquaintance.