Ohio Bike Week

imagineer

Ok folks; school me on Ohio Bike Week.    I’ve always wanted to go, but this is the first year I’ll actually have the time.      I’m not looking to party my ass off or see any of the shows/bands, just look at bikes and boobs and maybe buy a t-shirt or two.     Sandusky is about a 2 hour ride from my home base, which will be the longest/furthest ride for me, so…

Is it worth going?   

I’m only planning to go on one of the Saturdays.   Is one day enough?   

Is it better at the beginning or end of the event?

Seeing as I ride a cheap metric cruiser, can I expect any crap from the HD crowd?

Safety…should I be carrying?   

Would a disk lock be a worthwhile investment?

Any pointers for making the best of the event?

Thanks in advance.

I went last year for the first time and will probably head out on the 8th. It's not bad stuff is spread around the outskirts of town and in town. No one will give you crap about your bike and I wouldn't bother with a disk lock no one is going to steal your bike there.

These kind of events are something every one should do once or twice. They are amusing. One day is enough, go early in the day if you are going on a Saturday. It will get busy. No one will fuck with your bike.

Yes you should carry, not because it's dangerous there, it isn't. You should always carry, no reason not to. WTF good is your weapon at home?

But watch for signs, the fairgrounds might be posted.

I don't begrudge anyone for either attending or wanting to attend. If you are into the people watching and party aspect im sure you'll get your fill. I rode down to Daytona Bike week in 1987 I believe and it was a lot of sitting in traffic and dealing with drunks and a lot of women who thought they looked really hot wearing clothes for women 1/3 their size.

I have gone to OBW for a number of years and it is good to hear some bands, see stunt riding shows and people watch. The second weekend is better because they close downtown Sandusky streets except for bikes and have a stages set up for bands. I would recommend stopping at the HD Dealer for a while and then head to the downtown area. It's a carnival atmosphere. Typical BN crowd of 70% cruisers, no one bothers anyone, I've taken my wife a couple of times.

Sandusky is right next to my hometown.  I've never actually attended this event.  I've only ever been irritated with all the traffic issues it causes.  That said, all the people I know that attended were drunk and riding, which means I will NEVER attend this event.  I'm not saying that people shouldn't go, just be very careful and stay extra alert.  Just my .02

• Upvote 1

just look at bikes and boobs and maybe buy a t-shirt or two.   There will be a shit load of bikes for you to look at   

I’m only planning to go on one of the Saturdays.   Is one day enough?  Yes, you'll be ready to leave after one day

Is it better at the beginning or end of the event? No sure

Seeing as I ride a cheap metric cruiser, can I expect any crap from the HD crowd?  Shouldn't, your bike will be parked most of the time 

Safety…should I be carrying?  No 

Would a disk lock be a worthwhile investment? No, there will be much more expensive bikes there without locks that the thieves will take first

Any pointers for making the best of the event?  Print off event scheduled of the day you're going and make sure you have a map of Sandusky, some of the events are throughout the city.

Went a few years ago, not really my scene (went with my dad who rides a Harley). Bold my reply.^^^

Edited by Audi_F4i

Sandusky is right next to my hometown. I've never actually attended this event. I've only ever been irritated with all the traffic issues it causes. That said, all the people I know that attended were drunk and riding, which means I will NEVER attend this event. I'm not saying that people shouldn't go, just be very careful and stay extra alert. Just my .02

What home town?

Nice. Huron is a nice little town. They put in a really nice public boat ramp on the river. Did you use Holiday Harbor or Huron Lagoons?

I wish I remembered. It was very industrial.... Kind of dirty. We would sail from Sandusky in spring and fall to winterize.