Any Opinions On Buell?

Blitz

More specifically the X1 Lightning?  I'm in the market for a new bike and I have a couple that I'm very interested in.  But in my search I have come across a few Buells and I'm always perplexed.  Do I like them?  Do I hate them?  How reliable are they? 

So I just wondered what experiences you guys have had with them.  I'm sport rider, so I'd want one that falls in that category.  Is the X1 suited for that purpose?

Lots of question and I have no idea what the answers are.

Got a friend that has an X1 and he loves it, other than the fact it's flatout around 125mph. He tracked his many times and seemed to perform well. If I had a choice, I'd go 1125R

Got a friend that has an X1 and he loves it, other than the fact it's flatout around 125mph. He tracked his many times and seemed to perform well. If I had a choice, I'd go 1125R

Coming from the ZX14 owner whose bike will do that top speed in 2nd gear.  :badgerrock:

Coming from the ZX14 owner whose bike will do that top speed in 2nd gear.  :badgerrock:

Yeah, he doesn't ride with me anymore but asked to come along if I did a trackday.....most likely so he could whoop me in the corners and gather some pride back :lol:

Back when we took this ride >>> http://ohioriders.net/index.php?/topic/96348-the-tuesday-keep-the-sunny-days-acomin-ride/

This guy was on a Buell:

Name: Dennis IBEW 683

Bike(s): 2008 Buell 1125R

He's the one to talk to if anyone knows how to get a hold of him.

Ah right.....I remember him. He could really sling that thing around too. I don't know if I'm seriously considering one, just was curious about them cause they're so different. I always thought they looked cool too. But I think there are too many unknowns for me to go that route. It's the same problem I'm having with Ducati's. I love how they look, but mechanically they're so different from what I've ridden till now I have a hard time committing.

I guess we'll see.....

Edited by Blitz

Great bikes, the Ulysses I rode had the best suspension I ever saw on a bike. OK, everybody I know who has a Buell is getting rid of them now when they can get money for them as the parts and support will soon be absolute zero. They had no support from HD when they were being made.

Ah right.....I remember him. He could really sling that thing around too. I don't know if I'm seriously considering one, just was curious about them cause they're so different. I always thought they looked cool too. But I think there are too many unknowns for me to go that route. It's the same problem I'm having with Ducati's. I love how they look, but mechanically they're so different from what I've ridden till now I have a hard time committing.

I guess we'll see.....

Funny you mention Buell and Ducati.  When I was shopping for my first bike, I fell in love with the XB9 and XB19 lightning and the Firebolt, but they were out of my price range at the time.  5 years later when I swapped out the R6 I went with the Ducati.  I would still like to own a Lightning or Ulysses but as others have said, parts are going to become scare sadly.  It's a shame really because they're so rare and really eye catching when they go by.  But either way, Lightning/Ulysses/Monster, you won't regret swapping out the ZX-6 for as far as ride and enjoyment.  The big-bore twin powerband is just so much more enjoyable for what most people ride.