Anyone Here Do Body Work/paint Jobs?

TMonhollen

I didnt ask anyone here but I looked into this recently. The few shops that would do it were asking almost as much as it would cost to do a whole car. So I did the paint myself. Probably not as good as a professional but a lot cheaper!!!

• Upvote 1

plastics only were anywhere from $800 to $1900.

It was very disappointing seeings as the size of the surface area. I even made it clear that they would be removed from the bike and should only need scuffing. 

I have the pics in my album.

..or, do it yourself?

its not impossible with the BULK* of cost on any paint job being prep (*taking it apart, sanding) spraying isn't that complex or expensive, then finish (*wetsanding buffing)

If you're determined to drop it off, and pick it up shiny, then 800 would be fair, a grand or more (I'd want references) really wouldn't be out of line. Think about it...20 an hour for a skilled craftsman @ 20 hours is already 400 bucks-factor in electricity, paint, sand paper, wear on tools, insurance.. . I wouldn't trust anyone telling me they were going to take my bike apart, spray it, finish it, reassemble it for 300 bucks..oh hell no.

I own a compressor, spot repair canister sprayer as well as air brushes. I've painted all kinds of things.

-One time, a giant cardboard freezer box, two 100 watt light bulbs, a table fan I got for 5 bucks (cut a hole sort of jury rigged it to suck the spray OUT the back away from me) and did an ATV plastics I had. 

multiple coats, allow proper dry time, then wet sand with 1200 grit, and respray with multiple clear coat, then wet sand and buff...I've seen amazing pro looking jobs with spray cans- hillbilly that lived next to me in florida used to do all sorts of things- changed my way of thinking

google has zillions of movies and tips to accomplish the task in less than a week for less than a 100 bucks. 

I guess I could try doing it myself... But I'll have to get the tools to do it. I guess my biggest fear would be losing a piece, or once I got everything taken apart, I wouldn't know how to put it back together. Since I've never done it before.

I live in Berea. Right near Hopkins/Baldwin Wallace. I want to re paint the entire bike. Debating if I want to do mainly white, with a little black. Or dark(wine) red, and gray. I don't mind doing the prep work myself, like I said. I've just never painted anything before.

YES, drain the tank before you prep it. You'll appreciate the lighter load flipping it around when you're sanding it. A paint job will only be as good as the base is prepared, imo I would let a pro handle it all.