an '06 R1 LE for sale in Cols...check this out

twincharge7

Thats the guy from this board I recognize the pics.He must have figured out that they aren't that rare.Hell there are at least 2 in columbus!

I called the guy and he offerrd to trade me $2500.00,two used car tires and a box of doughnuts for his bike.I guess they are'nt much!

He probably figured out you could buy a new 08 that is actually heads and shoulders better than the "LE" he wasted his money on.

He got trapped in the gold wheels and the name Ohlins and didn't realize they meant nothing overall... Forks are street forks and worth shit and the wheels equal taking a good ol fashioned poop...

$18k for a bike that became old quick.

He probably figured out you could buy a new 08 that is actually heads and shoulders better than the "LE" he wasted his money on.

He got trapped in the gold wheels and the name Ohlins and didn't realize they meant nothing overall... Forks are street forks and worth shit and the wheels equal taking a good ol fashioned poop...

Ouch, well stephan, your bike still looks pretty.

lol. lizard may have good points! For some reasons, many R1 owners like the '07 than the '08, weird huh?

Lizard, it seems you have a first hand experience. have you ridden one and actually tried to adjust the suspension craps? that must be a headache.

lol. lizard may have good points! For some reasons, many R1 owners like the '07 than the '08, weird huh?

Lizard, it seems you have a first hand experience. have you ridden one and actually tried to adjust the suspension craps? that must be a headache.

Nah, rode an LE, though and have ridden an 07 (same as 08) recently. The 07s and 08s are pretty damn good.

On paper, even, the LE is really a little short in terms of side by side comparos than the 08s...

As far as the forks, the forks are what Ohlins calls Street and Track forks. They are by no means a race ready fork even though the perception is that they are. They are a great start, but to make them track ready, you need to pull the guts and replace them. Been on a couple of bikes with Street and Track forks with the guts replaced - nice.

The rear is a legit rear shock and outside of maybe the spring rate, it is really track ready. The newer Ohlins rears are better for sure, but the LE's rear is a good rear...

The wheels are really just bling. The weight is what is key and they do lessen rotational mass which is always good, but the gains vs. the cost are equal to you going out and taking a good poop before you ride. It really isn't worth the cost.

The paint is cool, too and a bit of that helps in the rare department, but overall, it is like back in the days of the YZF1000 (Thundercat). Guys bought those thinking they were the shit and then Yamaha intoduces the R1. Instantly, their bikes were old. Same here. The LE was a way for Yamaha to get out a few cool bikes with some cool bling knowing people would pay for it. However, had they waited, they'd have not only saved a ton of money, they would have got a better machine.

You probably have $6-$7k in stuff that isn't on a stock R1, but the fact that the newest R1 is really just shy of having a fancy paint job and cool gold components, it is a better platform. A new R1 is what, $11,700? You can add the newest (and better) Ohlins rear shock for $1200, add a 25mm Ohlins fork kit to the existing stock forks for $1500 and add a wheel set for $2k and you'd be ahead of ANY LE easily.

The stock R1 for 07/08 included a slipper clutch, as well which doesn't even come on an LE. It's an LE - it should have had a slipper...

Basically, the LE was cool. For a year. When the 07 came out, it became old instantly.

Look, it is a cool bike, for sure. Maybe to a collector it is worth the asking price, but honestly, save the money, go down to your local dealer and haggle over an 08. Hell, I can get you to a dealer that will sell one for $500 over dealer w/o haggling. You could probably get it cheaper...

That's a HUGE savings over what you'd get with an LE. If the color is what is selling you, buy the plastic that is the Fiat replica colorway. That's more rare around these parts... I'll do your shock, forks and wheels for little labor cost and you'll have an LE smoking machine... Hell, I'll offer to help you get it setup at a track day (You ride it - I'll tune for you)...

actually i was riding next to that guy and i put it on him with my 600, he realized it was slow so it is for sale.

Uh, no matter how shitty a rider is, 160 hp vs. 110 hp is no contest. Rolling start with even a slow reaction will have that R1 eating that 600s dinner...

Uh, no matter how shitty a rider is, 160 hp vs. 110 hp is no contest. Rolling start with even a slow reaction will have that R1 eating that 600s dinner...

my 600 has a d&d slip on. don't think so, ohh and a flux capacitor. i eat r1 les all day long!! STEVAN i mean you.

Nah, rode an LE, though and have ridden an 07 (same as 08) recently. The 07s and 08s are pretty damn good.

On paper, even, the LE is really a little short in terms of side by side comparos than the 08s...

As far as the forks, the forks are what Ohlins calls Street and Track forks. They are by no means a race ready fork even though the perception is that they are. They are a great start, but to make them track ready, you need to pull the guts and replace them. Been on a couple of bikes with Street and Track forks with the guts replaced - nice.

The rear is a legit rear shock and outside of maybe the spring rate, it is really track ready. The newer Ohlins rears are better for sure, but the LE's rear is a good rear...

The wheels are really just bling. The weight is what is key and they do lessen rotational mass which is always good, but the gains vs. the cost are equal to you going out and taking a good poop before you ride. It really isn't worth the cost.

The paint is cool, too and a bit of that helps in the rare department, but overall, it is like back in the days of the YZF1000 (Thundercat). Guys bought those thinking they were the shit and then Yamaha intoduces the R1. Instantly, their bikes were old. Same here. The LE was a way for Yamaha to get out a few cool bikes with some cool bling knowing people would pay for it. However, had they waited, they'd have not only saved a ton of money, they would have got a better machine.

You probably have $6-$7k in stuff that isn't on a stock R1, but the fact that the newest R1 is really just shy of having a fancy paint job and cool gold components, it is a better platform. A new R1 is what, $11,700? You can add the newest (and better) Ohlins rear shock for $1200, add a 25mm Ohlins fork kit to the existing stock forks for $1500 and add a wheel set for $2k and you'd be ahead of ANY LE easily.

The stock R1 for 07/08 included a slipper clutch, as well which doesn't even come on an LE. It's an LE - it should have had a slipper...

Basically, the LE was cool. For a year. When the 07 came out, it became old instantly.

Look, it is a cool bike, for sure. Maybe to a collector it is worth the asking price, but honestly, save the money, go down to your local dealer and haggle over an 08. Hell, I can get you to a dealer that will sell one for $500 over dealer w/o haggling. You could probably get it cheaper...

That's a HUGE savings over what you'd get with an LE. If the color is what is selling you, buy the plastic that is the Fiat replica colorway. That's more rare around these parts... I'll do your shock, forks and wheels for little labor cost and you'll have an LE smoking machine... Hell, I'll offer to help you get it setup at a track day (You ride it - I'll tune for you)...

wow...that's awesome, learned new stuff everytime I read your respond! :thumbup: on all the points. Definitely, I like the 6 piston brakes on '07-'08

two things that I did research on:

1. LE comes w/ a slipper clutch

2. Based on your calculations: $11,700 + 1,200 + 1,500 + 2,000 (Marchesini wheels for a set is actually $2,500) so it comes out about: 16,400-16,900. that's not including labor. Labor is about $500-2000 (I guess depending on the place and that can be more than $2000) so it's about $17 to $19K. Not sure if it's worth the $$, which anyone can spend on an LE for about $14K (of course with about 3-5K miles) with a little bit crappy front forks n rear suspension (as what you wrote). I don't know. I'm still holding for something better. You'll definitely my first contact when I'm going to hit a track.

wow...that's awesome, learned new stuff everytime I read your respond! :thumbup: on all the points. Definitely, I like the 6 piston brakes on '07-'08

2. Based on your calculations: $11,700 + 1,200 + 1,500 + 2,000 (Marchesini wheels for a set is actually $2,500) so it comes out about: 16,400-16,900. that's not including labor. Labor is about $500-2000 (I guess depending on the place and that can be more than $2000) so it's about $17 to $19K. Not sure if it's worth the $$, which anyone can spend on an LE for about $14K (of course with about 3-5K miles) with a little bit crappy front forks n rear suspension (as what you wrote). I don't know. I'm still holding for something better. You'll definitely my first contact when I'm going to hit a track.

I thought the LE came with a slipper also.. Labor cost is however a mute point as everything can be done yourself. I just replaced the forks and rear shock on my bike this winter.. Its not as hard as you would think. Forks are simple, the shock takes some finagling depending on what bike you have.

Dont forget that you then have the stock parts also to sell or keep for backup. Labor is cheap, unless you are buying really fancy beer and pizza, and still then not much at all.

Dont forget that you then have the stock parts also to sell or keep for backup. Labor is cheap, unless you are buying really fancy beer and pizza, and still then not much at all.

Exactly... The only labor cost is for food and beer for the buddy helping you do it.

I thought the LE came with a slipper also.. Labor cost is however a mute point as everything can be done yourself. I just replaced the forks and rear shock on my bike this winter.. Its not as hard as you would think. Forks are simple, the shock takes some finagling depending on what bike you have.

I was wrong on the slipper. Sorry. My point was that the following year it was standard on the same bike essentially.

Yes, labor will flex based on who and where you take it. Putting on a rear TTX Ohlins is simple as pie. Doing the 25mm internals is shown as a price that included labor and the cartridge inserts into the OEM forks. My prices on stuff is skewed as I don't pay retail on most things. I have enough connections that I can save at least that amount. I actually can get the wheels cheaper than that...

Point is this - you can buy a showroom, everyday, stock 07/08 R1 and add $5k to a bike and still have almost $2k left over in your pocket. Wheels can be installed yourself, rear shock can be done easily yourself, and the forks would come to your door ready to be installed by yourself with WAY better internals in them.

In fact, let's say you can't do it all yourself. You can find a guy like me that will do it all for well less than that almost $2k left over amount. You can take me to dinner and pay me for track side set-up of $100. So, for $130, I'll do it all for you and all you have to do is ride it...

In fact, I just got off the phone with my engine guy. He does AMA quality engine builds and here's the laudry list of what can happen:

-Buy a 2008 R1 for $11700 - that's no negotiating, etc...

-Front Ohlins 25mm kit and Ohlins rear shock - $2500

-Forged wheel set - $2000-$2500 depending an what ones you want

-Superstock engine build - you roll the entire bike off to him - $1800 nets you about 172-175 rear wheel HP that is dependable - no superbike stuff...

-Exhaust and PC unit - $2000+

Total would be $20k. You'd have a sleeper machine that would SMOKE any stock 2008 R1 or any LE bike. Easily.

Hell, you can get $1k off that price easily just begotiating and I could probably push you to a dealer that can save you even more.

OR, buy a left over 2007 for $1500-$2k less and you'd be even with the price of an LE...

I understand the bling factor in the street and track forks (Oh, priced them and I can get them for about $2500) and the fancy wheels, but honestly, they do nothing for you for the money. Keep the stocker wheels and buy the Black and Gold R1 for 08 that has the gold fork tubes (The other colors have the black tubes) and add all the above and you'll be ahead by $2-$4k...