an '06 R1 LE for sale in Cols...check this out

twincharge7

^^^ that bike sounds like a perfect track bike!

I thought superstock motors were for track only? something about them having to be rebuilt every year or two? :confused:

They can be run for years w/o issues... They will over time drop in power to a point where they really need a refresh.

The point is that he can get a KILLER for teh price of a lamb with pretty wool...

They can be run for years w/o issues... They will over time drop in power to a point where they really need a refresh.

The point is that he can get a KILLER for teh price of a lamb with pretty wool...

:D:D

still thinking...tempting....how much is it for superbike-setup engine, not superstock? I heard that will cost about $10K?

yeah supersport will be ok for a while. here is a good place for motor work too http://www.npsracing.com/prod011.htm

They're probably OK guys, but Chad Lewin ended up having my engine guy (Reuben Frankenfield - 35 Motorsports) help him out... Not saying anything bad, but Reuben's been around a while and knows a few things...

Plus, the listed prices are a tad high...Not bad, but higher...

:D:D

still thinking...tempting....how much is it for superbike-setup engine, not superstock? I heard that will cost about $10K?

It can cost as much as you want it to be. In other words, the sky is the limit in terms of cost. I'd say you're close, but remember one thing - Superbike built machines like Emgo's FX bikes, they were race to race. They were rebuilt after every event and a spare motor or more were always on the truck... Hell, even their SS 600s were that way in 04/05...

The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys...

Who here has owned one?? Or i should say- who here has been owned by one. ;)

Don't knock it until you try it- Its like saying all 600 bikes are slow and for noobs.

Ya know what? Every seller is entitled to their asking price. The topic was really was it worth it. I've ridden R1s and especially the 07/08s and honestly, the LE wasn't worth the asking price. Of course, in hind sight, you couldn't have known about the 07 R1 being what is was.

Now, the color scheme is badass!! Beautiful for sure!

Ya know what? Every seller is entitled to their asking price. The topic was really was it worth it. I've ridden R1s and especially the 07/08s and honestly, the LE wasn't worth the asking price. Of course, in hind sight, you couldn't have known about the 07 R1 being what is was.

Now, the color scheme is badass!! Beautiful for sure!

yeah i mean you definitely have to give them credit for making a nice limited edition bike, i guess we will always expect more.

I got a great deal on it- I wasn't a fan of all the yellow so i replaced the rear with a black one and added the 50th aniv. decals. I'll get a pic of it up here. Last year i had a 06 1000RR but wanted to try something new- I want to go back to a 06-07 CBR- the new 2008's are just ugly.

I got a great deal on it- I wasn't a fan of all the yellow so i replaced the rear with a black one and added the 50th aniv. decals. I'll get a pic of it up here. Last year i had a 06 1000RR but wanted to try something new- I want to go back to a 06-07 CBR- the new 2008's are just ugly.

have you seen one in person? we saw a black 08 cbr at qsl and it was HOT. i didnt think much of the pictures, but its stunning in person. it doesnt look big enough to be a liter bike.

nice. if you had a great deal, then it's all worth it. Nope, the price on the ad is not worth it, especially now it's 2008. if one picks up an '06 R1 with the same mileage and put all of the same decals, painting, wheels, suspension, and will be installed by oneself, the $$ save is a lot but...

Am I comparing between orange vs. apple here? Yes. My argument: if I wanted to compare those objectively (orange vs. orange), then one had to buy a regular '06 R1 with the same manufacturing cost plus all of those goodies (wheels, suspension, etc.) and plus, one had to pay the manufacturing cost of labor and ON TOP OF THAT added the profit percentage that's applied onto R1 LE. Now, do we really really save $$?

Sometimes, we learn those skills to install of these aftermarket parts and think that we're saving $$ if we install it ourselves. Regular Joe who doesn't know how to install those will have to pay the price to have them installed by professionals. Again, that's comparing apple vs. orange, not orange vs. orange.

However, with the LE price, I'll pick 1098 anyday anytime.

In fact, I just got off the phone with my engine guy. He does AMA quality engine builds and here's the laudry list of what can happen:

-Buy a 2008 R1 for $11700 - that's no negotiating, etc...

-Front Ohlins 25mm kit and Ohlins rear shock - $2500

-Forged wheel set - $2000-$2500 depending an what ones you want

-Superstock engine build - you roll the entire bike off to him - $1800 nets you about 172-175 rear wheel HP that is dependable - no superbike stuff...

-Exhaust and PC unit - $2000+

Total would be $20k. You'd have a sleeper machine that would SMOKE any stock 2008 R1 or any LE bike. Easily.

Hell, you can get $1k off that price easily just begotiating and I could probably push you to a dealer that can save you even more.

OR, buy a left over 2007 for $1500-$2k less and you'd be even with the price of an LE...

I understand the bling factor in the street and track forks (Oh, priced them and I can get them for about $2500) and the fancy wheels, but honestly, they do nothing for you for the money. Keep the stocker wheels and buy the Black and Gold R1 for 08 that has the gold fork tubes (The other colors have the black tubes) and add all the above and you'll be ahead by $2-$4k...

Lizard,

Good points, the funny thing is that the ad wrongfully states that it has magnesium wheels. An LE comes only with forged aluminum wheels! However, you may see things about an LE a little bit too far sided because you may have forgotten the point of $12K that you can spend on an LE for fairly low mileage. With an '08 cost: you're stating the cost of $20K. To get an LE for 12K, I still have 8K to go, will I smoke the well-prepped '08 R1 that you presented? YES (of course, there'll be factors of riders skill and other stuff) To prove my point, the fact is there was an ad on 4/11/2008:

FS: 2006 Yamaha R1 LE - 3350 Miles - $11900 obo

BIKE HAS BEEN SOLD

This bike is #86 of 500 produced for the American market. MSRP of the bike was $18,000. Limited Edition models come equiped with forged aluminum Marchesini wheels, Ohlins suspension front & rear, a slipper clutch, an adjustable shock linkage, Brembo master cylinder & titanium exhaust. Extras added include an Ohlins steering damper, Graves frame sliders and clutch basket protector, Galfer steel brake lines, Puig double bubble windscreen, PP rearsets, and passenger seat cover. Price $11,900 obo.

Bike has 3550 miles, has never been down and is in like new condition. Comes with R1 LE special tool box and all manuals. High resolution pictures can be sent upon request. Bike is located in the Seattle area.

David (253) 370-0062

However, with the LE price, I'll pick 1098 anyday anytime.

Except stock to stock and apples to apples as you say, the 1098 is more of a 750 in line comparable machine. Any R1 is going to be about 155-157 at the ground and easy to ride at a regular pace. The 1098 falls short.

Of course, if it is what you like, that's totally cool, but again, if apples to apples, the 1098 is more comparable to the GSXR750...

Lizard,

Good points, the funny thing is that the ad wrongfully states that it has magnesium wheels. An LE comes only with forged aluminum wheels! However, you may see things about an LE a little bit too far sided because you may have forgotten the point of $12K that you can spend on an LE for fairly low mileage. With an '08 cost: you're stating the cost of $20K. To get an LE for 12K, I still have 8K to go, will I smoke the well-prepped '08 R1 that you presented? YES (of course, there'll be factors of riders skill and other stuff) To prove my point, the fact is there was an ad on 4/11/2008:

FS: 2006 Yamaha R1 LE - 3350 Miles - $11900 obo

BIKE HAS BEEN SOLD

This bike is #86 of 500 produced for the American market. MSRP of the bike was $18,000. Limited Edition models come equiped with forged aluminum Marchesini wheels, Ohlins suspension front & rear, a slipper clutch, an adjustable shock linkage, Brembo master cylinder & titanium exhaust. Extras added include an Ohlins steering damper, Graves frame sliders and clutch basket protector, Galfer steel brake lines, Puig double bubble windscreen, PP rearsets, and passenger seat cover. Price $11,900 obo.

Bike has 3550 miles, has never been down and is in like new condition. Comes with R1 LE special tool box and all manuals. High resolution pictures can be sent upon request. Bike is located in the Seattle area.

David (253) 370-0062

I was saying it had forged wheels - not mag wheels... $2k is for forged wheels... which is what the LE has.

As far as smiking an 08 R1, it wouldn't all things equal. The bike is not going to smoke a similar machine. The 08 suspension is good enough to actually keep up with the street and track Ohlins on an LE. The engine upgrades and slipper clutch on the standard R1 for 07/08 are enough to keep it even steven with the LE. What he bolted on as extras are pretty much the same boring stuff everyone bolts on to their machines. Outside the Ohlins damper, but honestly, it isn't a big deal as any stock ZX10 owner has the same thing...

Point is this. All the STOCK components at retail when refering to an LE and an 07/08 at RETAIL are in favor of an 08. What I am pointing out is that if you want to talk parts to parts.

Now, if he's selling it for $12k and it is used, then let's talk an 07 used R1 that you can find for similar % of reduction. Again, a used 07 R1 can be built for a total cost of $12 and be a better machine than the used LE talked about here...

Again, you need to understand that the LE is outdone by the 07 when it was newly introduced.

Buying an LE because it is limited means you don't ride it much and that you are a collector. Think LE Ferrari, etc. If you bought it with the thought it had all the trick suspension components and wheels, at the time, it was a good deal of sorts. Not really, but like you said, a lot of people don't take the time to research prices for parts and many do not install them on their own. So, it would have been a deal to those folks.

However, compared to what you can buy at this VERY moment, a used 07 or even a used 08 (they exist all over) or buying a left over 07 off a floor new, you can build a better overall machine. the platform by which the 07 and 08 are is better than the one the LE is built from.

It's like an 06 GSXR1000 vs. an 07. Night and day differences. It's called progression and it cannot be stopped. My point was that OEMs usually redo machines every two years on a cycle. The LE could have been brought out or introduced the newly designed 07 R1, but due to dates and cycles, it wasn't possible. A savy owner, however, would have caught that...

I was saying it had forged wheels - not mag wheels... $2k is for forged wheels... which is what the LE has.

As far as smiking an 08 R1, it wouldn't all things equal. The bike is not going to smoke a similar machine. The 08 suspension is good enough to actually keep up with the street and track Ohlins on an LE. The engine upgrades and slipper clutch on the standard R1 for 07/08 are enough to keep it even steven with the LE. What he bolted on as extras are pretty much the same boring stuff everyone bolts on to their machines. Outside the Ohlins damper, but honestly, it isn't a big deal as any stock ZX10 owner has the same thing...

Point is this. All the STOCK components at retail when refering to an LE and an 07/08 at RETAIL are in favor of an 08. What I am pointing out is that if you want to talk parts to parts.

Now, if he's selling it for $12k and it is used, then let's talk an 07 used R1 that you can find for similar % of reduction. Again, a used 07 R1 can be built for a total cost of $12 and be a better machine than the used LE talked about here...

Again, you need to understand that the LE is outdone by the 07 when it was newly introduced.

Buying an LE because it is limited means you don't ride it much and that you are a collector. Think LE Ferrari, etc. If you bought it with the thought it had all the trick suspension components and wheels, at the time, it was a good deal of sorts. Not really, but like you said, a lot of people don't take the time to research prices for parts and many do not install them on their own. So, it would have been a deal to those folks.

However, compared to what you can buy at this VERY moment, a used 07 or even a used 08 (they exist all over) or buying a left over 07 off a floor new, you can build a better overall machine. the platform by which the 07 and 08 are is better than the one the LE is built from.

It's like an 06 GSXR1000 vs. an 07. Night and day differences. It's called progression and it cannot be stopped. My point was that OEMs usually redo machines every two years on a cycle. The LE could have been brought out or introduced the newly designed 07 R1, but due to dates and cycles, it wasn't possible. A savy owner, however, would have caught that...

mmhhh....somewhat what you said made sense :cool:

What didn't?

Based on your emails, it made sense ($$ spent) with an '07 but not an '08. For some reasons, I'm still in awe with the engine respond with 5 valves/cylinder that screams after 10K rpm in comparison with 4 valve/cylinder. '07-'08 engines were made because the complaints of the engine's streetability.

Based on your emails, it made sense ($$ spent) with an '07 but not an '08. For some reasons, I'm still in awe with the engine respond with 5 valves/cylinder that screams after 10K rpm in comparison with 4 valve/cylinder. '07-'08 engines were made because the complaints of the engine's streetability.

The 07s are the same as the 08s. So, when I was refering to 08s, it was new retail to new retail...

Anyways, the newer motors are easier to make power and they are much better in terms of performance. It had nothing to do with streetability as to why they changed the motor.

Again, these bikes are designed more and more for racing and street application comes second. The new motors are better...

• 2 weeks later...
have you seen one in person? we saw a black 08 cbr at qsl and it was HOT. i didnt think much of the pictures, but its stunning in person. it doesnt look big enough to be a liter bike.

ya- it looks the the front end smashed into a wall... So round and flat. But you're right the tail makes it look really short and narrow. I haven't ridden one yet- but i talked to someone who bought one and he said it was the most powerful liter bike he has ridden. (who knows what the guy has ridden tho)