Need A Home Inspector

Hoblick

• 1 year later...

I'm going to bump this .... anyone know a good home inspector?? We are leaning towards a guy that our realtor recommended, but wanted to scope out other possibilities! Thanks!!

Don't have a recommendation for you, but I would tend to shy away from anyone recommended by a realtor. The incentives are too closely aligned to warding taking the path of least resistance to closing a deal.

The inspection period is basically reopening negotiations on your home. You want a report that is very nitty. Leverage is very much in your favor from this point foorward, so ask for a lot of cash concessions. Most people don't take full advantage of this, I feel.

Don't have a recommendation for you, but I would tend to shy away from anyone recommended by a realtor. The incentives are too closely aligned to warding taking the path of least resistance to closing a deal.

The inspection period is basically reopening negotiations on your home. You want a report that is very nitty. Leverage is very much in your favor from this point foorward, so ask for a lot of cash concessions. Most people don't take full advantage of this, I feel.

Lemme tell you a word about that...

First I am a dumbass for not thinking of what bloodninja said above. When I bought my house, my realtor had been awesome the whole time. Her husband is an inspector and of course she recommended him. Oh and the house that I found, the selling realtor was from the same office as my realtor.

Any combo of the above is bad, my situation really ended up sucking. On the positive side, six months later...I'm almost able to move in.

• Upvote 1

Go with an ASHI or NACHI endorsed inspector.

Years ago I worked with home inspection franchises. Getting our guys to get one or both of those endorsements from one or both of those agencies was a huge initiative, and any of the impropriety of giving a favorable inspection based on realtor referral would cost them their certification.

That said, our inspectors were strongly encouraged to build referral relationships with realtors. People buy 1 or 2 houses in their lifetime. It's hard to get repeat customers who aren't realtors.