Brought Home Another Zook!

Gixxus Christ!

Got my 03 bandit 1200 today and man is she a great bike. I can't get over the power delivery, smooth and constant and lots of it. Its taking a little getting used to the different seating arrangement but it was comfy enough to ride all day. It may get me in trouble, I can't help but giggle like a kid while stretching 2nd gear out. After riding the 1100 shadow, which was a good bike in her own right, the raw power of the i4 1200 is a welcome change. Still getting used to the handling, the tip in is very abrupt but that may have more to do with the shinko ravens than anything else. I've already managed to scrub off the previous owners super wide chicken strips tho. It came with givi hard bags and top box which look horrible but hold a ton of shit. All in all for $2700 I'm happy, already ordered a yoshi rs3 to replace the heavy, almost silent stock can.

IMAG0039.jpg

IMAG0040.jpg

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher
  • Upvote 1

Nice bike.

I have the '97 model and had a '98 before, put the yoshi on it, open a 2" hole in the airbox, rejet it and you will really be giggling like a school girl. Even stretching out third will be fun.

When I done my '98, with help because I hate carb work, we went from 102.5 main jets to 127.5 mains and once the carbs were dialed in it was unreal fun, wheelies everywhere. It wasn't the seat of the pants performance of a sport bike but for what it was it a blast. 

The air screws were of course adjusted and don't quote me for sure but I think the needles were shimmed something like .032.

I stayed with Bridgestone Battlax BT-045 that it came with when I needed new tires. I hope the carb info isn't too far off but I'm going by memory and that was 12 years ago. Also, mine was very cold blooded, didn't want to take the throttle for three or four mile after the choke was turned off and after the carb work, header and airbox mod it came to life almost as soon as I left the driveway.

In other words, You'll love it.

I'm now having fond memories of my '92 Gixxer raising holy hell out in Idaho back in '03 riding up and down Bogus Basin in Boise....yeah, what a lovely bike she was.

Maybe we'll get out for a spin tomorrow.

Nice buy Sam. I love big bore 4's for the fun factor and passing pull they have, but play too hard too often and you'll fair well with buying shares in your favorite tire and fuel companies :D

I typically burn through at least 2 rear for every steer and fuel mileage can vary between 20-42mpg. I agree that's some fugly luggage, but wish I had some at times for long hauls instead of overstuffing my backpack. Good to see you went sport tour, that bike can take you anywhere! That machine will love you for all the overdue maintenance it's about to get

Yeah, I go back and forth on the luggage. Finally got the wreckage of my TL out of my buddy's barn and into the garage today via the guy who bought my shadow, I knocked $50 of the price for him to trailer my shit and he was happy to do it. The TL is a little more fucked up than I thought, sub frame was pretty tweaked, I basically jumped up and down on one of the passenger pegs to straighten it out. The radiator is bent to shit and the cooling fan won't turn. Motor fires right up but is leaking oil bad. Fairing stays are all out of whack, gonna be hell getting everything straight. Anyhow, if I can rehab the TL then it can be my sport bike and I'll make the gsf my designated sport tour. If I can't return the TL to her former glory I'll sell her, make the gsf my sport bike and probably buy something cushy like a naked gl1100 for touring purposes. Plus there's always my Honda 850 project that could go either way: power cruiser with forward controls and king/queen seat or hooligan cafe racer with rearsets and clip-ons. At least I have a 'get on it and ride' bike right now while I work on the other two.

Holeshot stuff is nice but expensive. Was thinking about doing their stock bore piston kit but the money to hp ratio just isn't there. Ill pick up a few with the rs3 pipe, k&n and jet kit, plus I hate the stock can. Why have a huge crossover header and then put a huge cork in it?

I will look into it a little more, I checked the OEM parts finder and mine have longer stalks and a rubber grommet, they mount to the fairing braces. It looks like your style mount to the fairing, I'll get back to you.

When you happen to be walking past the bike take a look at how they mount, please and thank you.

I use to run the 2 inch hole mod then went to pod filters. It was getting 118bhp with the mod and 121bhp with pod filters and still use to average around 40mpg. I miss my bandit very good do it all bikes. 

Dug up a old pic of mine after I ditched the fairing. 

bikepics-32874-full.jpg

Edited by speedytriple