Urgent Help Need Home For Geman Shepard!

cOoTeR

My roommate had a dog that was super aggressive to other dogs... howard put him on his side twice and let my dog sniff around and after that they were friends.  I don't want to be a jerk, but I don't think that eliminating any homes with other dogs is the right choice.  I think if you're being up front about it and letting people know that its a situation that needs work, that should be enough.

depends on the dog....some breeds of dog are naturally dog aggressive. sometimes you get some that are more mellow than others, sometimes not. you can train a DA dog to behave around other dogs, but you will never truly take that agression away. A dog with a bite as strong as a shepard, could be a real risk if forced into those situations. If/When he loses his edge and snaps at another dog, it could turn into a fight and leave the dogs seriously injured. Forcing DA dogs to behave with other dogs just takes away any warning sign you might of had to an upcoming fight. But you wont ever fully "train" the aggression out of the dog....you cant undo evolution and breeding with training

that really limits your options then.. I mean not to be rude but we honestly considered it for a bit.. we have 2 other large dogs too.. but I know of a few people that could be interested they have germans already but you just cut  out all of those people as possibles sounds like the poor dog will be put down at that rate

As long as the person knows what they are doing and understand that the dog doesn't get along with others he may be ok with it. He just doesn't want someone to take her something to happen and cause problems. Then have them return the dog.

Beautiful dog!!!!  I've had a few white shepards throughout the years, and grew up with shepards.  I'd love to have it, but not sure our Labs would like it too much.  I don't want to do that to our dogs.  I'd take a white shepard puppy, but not an adult.

Good luck with finding a home.

Yeap. I had one of those. Tan and white. Nice dogs. Head strong though. you can go dominant on them and be cool, but once and a while they will not listen and just do their own thing. With mine, it mostly concerned the nearby presence of a rabbit.

Edited by ReconRat

Did it get along with the other dog in the pic?

If we werent living in a small house with two cats and a dog and fish and no extra room, I would definitely take her and work with her.  You said she's a good dog normally, did anyone ever spend time to train her to deal with children?  Is there any possibilty that you can keep her and work with her?  I mean, she is a big strong dog, she could have smashed your neice's face in and killed her before anyone had a chance to say or do anything, but it sounds like she nipped and left a scratch.  I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk, but I hope having her put down isn't an option you're considering.

• Upvote 1

You can also start laying out baby blankets on the floor and train the dog that anything on the blanket is off limits. Baby, toys, food - everything.

It takes time, but dogs understand boundaries. Thus why ours barks at the neighbors through the fence, but is best buddies with them when we're on a walk...

Start now.

Did it get along with the other dog in the pic?

If we werent living in a small house with two cats and a dog and fish and no extra room, I would definitely take her and work with her.  You said she's a good dog normally, did anyone ever spend time to train her to deal with children?  Is there any possibilty that you can keep her and work with her?  I mean, she is a big strong dog, she could have smashed your neice's face in and killed her before anyone had a chance to say or do anything, but it sounds like she nipped and left a scratch.  I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk, but I hope having her put down isn't an option you're considering.

It's not my dog its my dads so I dont really have a say in it. The way they see it is they got lucky this time and would love to keep her but dont want to put my niece at risk. They never had a problem before and it has really been a shock to everyone. My niece could do anything with the dog and she would just wag her tail.

The Jack russell in the pic is the reason she doesn't get along with other dogs. The jack Russell would attack her and they would get in fights. One time the Shepard killed the jack russell after the jack Russell attacked her.