Camera Geeks, Skewl Me On A New Camera

Gump

Going to Ireland and I know nothing about these new fangled things except I want SLR for fast pics and a big ass zoom lens for nature pics back home. Was lookiing at re-furbished and not really wanting to go over $500 much.

Was looking at thishttp://www.bestbuy.com/site/Canon+EOS+Rebel+T3+12.2MP+DSLR+Camera+Kit+and+Extra+75-300mm+Zoom+Lens/9999204900050024.p?id=pcmprd203700050024&skuId=9999204900050024

but seem to like Nikon better.

I have a Sony a330 with kit lens and a Minolta zoom I bought separatly. It's a nice beginner dslr, even has on screen instructions to help you learn all the adjustments. Fairly inexpensive too.

Don't buy a dslr thinking you'll automatically take great pictures. If you're only shooting on auto, it's kind of pointless since a cheaper point and shoot will give you the same quality.

Makes sense. I just want a big optical zoom to point and shoot but they get pricey. Although there's some used ones like yours for around the same price as Mj's 30 zoom new.

Isn't SLR, basically equate to you can buy different lens for it?

Yeah with a digital single lens reflex,dslr, you have the ability to change your lenses. Macro, wide, zoom, telephoto, etc. That is a huge reason people go with them. I'm not saying that isn't a big plus, but if you get one, learn to actually use it. Being able to adjust each setting individually can really improve pictures. and yeah sometimes I'm too lazy and just use the auto function. Lol

Makes sense. I just want a big optical zoom to point and shoot but they get pricey. Although there's some used ones like yours for around the same price as Mj's 30 zoom new.

Isn't SLR, basically equate to you can buy different lens for it?

SLR's have larger sensors and overall better performance/control. Thats not saying you cant get good pictures with a P&S but entry level DSLR's out perform the more expensive P&S camera. As Chevy said dont expect to get pro quality pictures on Auto mode but you'll still get very good photos nonetheless. That canon looks like it would work well but Ive been out of the camera game for awhile. vw151 on here would be a good person to ask...

Heres a Nikon option

http://www.adorama.com/INKD3100K4.html 

Stopped real quick by Best Buy today. How come the SLR types that say they have a 30 or even 55 whatever lense don't zoom anywhere as far as the non SLR type like the Sony cyber shot with a 30x optical zoom? Think I have something confused. The slr's zoom barely zoomed it to human vision.

One of the websites I prefer is DP Review.

They said:

The Canon EOS 1100D is a solid entry-level performer but doesn't offer anything out of the ordinary. The image quality is decent, it's easy to use and beginners will find their way around the user interface pretty quickly. However, as usual it is worth having a closer look at other options in the market as well...

...The Nikon D3100, which is from a price point of view quite close to the 1100D, comes with a larger screen, a 1080p full HD video mode, higher maximum ISO, more AF points and a more powerful built-in flash. The Pentax K-r is only slightly more expensive and comes, like the 1100D, with a 720p video mode but puts a higher screen resolution, faster continuous shooting, a larger viewfinder and a more customizable user interface on top.

Edited by ReconRat

And you'll need batteries, SDHC memory cards, and a method of moving the data off the cards.

Many photo shops while traveling (or Walgreens etc), can burn the pics to a DVD or CD for you.

I hook up and dump to a netbook and 500Gb external storage.

Got my own portable burner too, what the heck.

I'm currently using a Canon S3 (6mp, 12x zoom). More of a point and shoot on steroids.

Prices have gone way up. I paid under 300, they sell for more than twice that now.

Edited by ReconRat

^^ this...buy a refurb Canon Rebel (doesn't have to be the newest one) refurb. I know Adorama sells Canon refurbs (i.e refubed by Canon). I've bought 2 SLR's this way with zero issues. Refurbed is the way to go because they get 100% QA inspected whereas "new" only get a subset of the inspections.

By the body only. The kit lens is crap. Find a quality do it all lens and learn how to use the settings properly. There are numerous sites for this. If you are just going to use auto mode all the time, buy a P&S camera and save a lot of money.

Stopped real quick by Best Buy today. How come the SLR types that say they have a 30 or even 55 whatever lense don't zoom anywhere as far as the non SLR type like the Sony cyber shot with a 30x optical zoom? Think I have something confused. The slr's zoom barely zoomed it to human vision.

18-55mm is the focal length of the lens. If you want more zoom then you need more focal length which is your 75-300mm lens. You have to change lenses to get that much zoom compared to the cyber shot and holding zoom in.

^^ this...buy a refurb Canon Rebel (doesn't have to be the newest one) refurb. I know Adorama sells Canon refurbs (i.e refubed by Canon). I've bought 2 SLR's this way with zero issues. Refurbed is the way to go because they get 100% QA inspected whereas "new" only get a subset of the inspections.

By the body only. The kit lens is crap. Find a quality do it all lens and learn how to use the settings properly. There are numerous sites for this. If you are just going to use auto mode all the time, buy a P&S camera and save a lot of money.

18-55mm is the focal length of the lens. If you want more zoom then you need more focal length which is your 75-300mm lens. You have to change lenses to get that much zoom compared to the cyber shot and holding zoom in.

I'll go P&S after knowing more about this. That's a lot of money to get the zoom I want with a SLR and then have to deal with a huge lens to tote around, and you're right, I'd just use auto mode and it'll prolly sit around a lot. I'm thinking this one.

Thank you for the info.

Sony DSC-HX300/B 20 MP Digital Camera with 50x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD

One of the benefits of a dslr is the ability to change lenses to meet a certain need. If you plan on going out for a trip to the zoo, take the kit lens and a zoom, it's not much to carry in the bag. If you plan on going to take longer shots, like at a baseball game, take only the zoom or telephoto lens. You'll learn what each lens is capable of and can plan ahead. Yeah it can be a good amount of dough to drop for a camera, but you can find deals. My Minolta 75-300 lens I bought on craigslist for fairly cheap. I wish I was better at taking pictures but photography interests me as an art form and hobby and a dslr gives me more flexibility worth the shots.

I'll go P&S after knowing more about this. That's a lot of money to get the zoom I want with a SLR and then have to deal with a huge lens to tote around, and you're right, I'd just use auto mode and it'll prolly sit around a lot. I'm thinking this one.

Thank you for the info.

Sony DSC-HX300/B 20 MP Digital Camera with 50x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD

I think that is the new improved version of my camera, mine is a HX100V.  Its pretty cool bc it has a built in GPS (drains the battery fast, but if you want to pinpoint your photos, its sweet).  Also, it has pretty much all of the manual settings an average person would need... plus if you want to move on to a SLR later, I think a camera like this is good to practice on.  I'm an ametuer though, so maybe I'm way off.

My camera also is able to take full HD movies and 3D pictures, so I'm guessing (without looking) that one can too. Only thing that I've found with mine that I don't like is that sometimes the red in the picture is a little off - probably not enough for most people to notice, but it gets me sometimes and i have to fix it.  Also, I wish mine had a shutter setting to stay open longer than 30 seconds.

It is the latest version of yours. It's my best choice at the moment. Cnet did a comparison against this, Canon and Fuji. Seemed to be liked the most. I don't think it has GPS though. They prolly ran out of room with the big lens.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330931338751?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Bought one of these a week ago and it's been fantastic.  Keep an eye out as they have been dropping the price to $305 periodically, slickdeals.net is your friend.  Finding a used lens with more zoom for the rest of your budget shouldn't be too hard.  And the auto shots are substantially better than my P&S Olympus.

Few things to consider:

-Megapixels are overrated in cameras and only impact image quality depending on how large of a photo you want to print. High MP doesn't mean better pictures.  My dad's older Nikon D50 6.1MP DSLR camera takes incredible pictures that blows away higher megapixel P&S cameras.  6.1MP translates to around 3008x2000 resolution, well beyond the resolution of most screens you'd ever look at the pictures on and 8x12 pictures are no issue.

-Zoom is only as good as the pictures you end up getting.  How often are you really gonna use 30x and can you hold it steady enough to even get a good shot?

-Learning manual shooting is really not hard.  Took about a day to feel comfortable working with manual aperture and zoom.  Took the below the 2nd day of owning my first dSLR in full manual mode:

1014508_10100499437480476_1666147039_o.j

That's a nice pic. I'm not feelin the dslr anymore. I'd need a expensive 900mm lens to get any real zoom and don't want to mess with carrying around lenses et cetera. Besides vacations I'm gonna take pics of critters in the woods. Otherwise it will just sit around.

A 200-300mm lens would be enough and are around $300. It can be a hassle a carrying multiple lenses and ease of use sounds important to you. I think you'll be happy with that Sony. It is still a capable camera. I would suggest going to best buy and demoing it in the store to compare to the others and get a feel for it.

Edited by Mykill

is there a class of camera that is somewhere between the DLSR and a Point n Shoot? The girlfriend fiance, doesn't use her DSLR I got her for Xmas much because its too big to haul around as well as I think she's intimidated by how complex it is and doesn't have the patience to learn all about it

If you want to shoot Canon, I love this guys site for his consistent reviews

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

I agree about bhphotovideo.com behing awesome and locally I highly recomend Midwest Photo Exchange,  mpex.com   This is probably the best brick and mortar camera shop in the state and they do provide classes and seminars.      Find MPEX on facebook and like them.  They post all the time about seminars and photo contests.   They are a very good resource in Columbus.  

If you want to stay under $500 and get an SLR I'd read a bunch of reviews and learn as much as you can and then hit craigslist.   If you want a very good point and shoot I'd look at the Canon G series.  

I will say this, SLRs are very bulky for vacations and most new guys end up shooting them on full auto anyway.   

Last bit of advice.  If you do get an SLR, learn to shoot and process RAW.   You will be able to make much cleaner and better looking images that way.   Especially anything you shoot indoors in mixed light.   Gives you amazing latitude with your white balance.  

I'd recommend L series glass but in your price range sticking to the Kit lenses is probably the best bet.   18-55 EF-S lens and 70-300 would be some good starter lenses to stay in budget.    The Canon Rebel/3 digitD or 2 digitD  20D, 30D, 40D, 50D, 60D cameras are good bodies that can be had at a reasonable price.   

Be careful my friend, it's a slippery slope, before you know it  you could be $10k in with out even blinking.   

Edited by vw151

is there a class of camera that is somewhere between the DLSR and a Point n Shoot? The girlfriend fiance, doesn't use her DSLR I got her for Xmas much because its too big to haul around as well as I think she's intimidated by how complex it is and doesn't have the patience to learn all about it

I don't know much about them, learned a lot on here but I picked up the Sony Hx300. They call it a bridge camera? I like the zoom and point and shoot feutures. Seemed to liked more than Canon or Fuji in the same class. It's not a SLR. You can take 10 pics at a time or as long as u hold the button down but focus stays the same as the original pic. Has a ton of features ( ill never use)and again I really like the zoom and I don't need another lens to carry around. I'm impressed with its clarity. Used it last night, taking pics of my daughters eyelashes at 15' away. Really fine detail. I took photography in highschool and criminalistics photography in college and didn't care to re-learn all the gunk and after realizing how much i'd need to re-learn and spend, I went with this one. And I really like the ZOOM.