Tips/advice For Long Distance Trip

Koreo

Because of car issues and the price of plane tickets, I plan on riding my 300 to Virginia this coming up weekend. Its about a 6.5 - 7 hour (450ish miles) trip. This will be my first long distance trip on a bike. I've ridden around eastern ohio before for about 5-6 hours with no pain/sores/ whatever afterwards. 

I'm just looking for some advice/tips on long distance riding. Karl is letting me borrow his saddlebags for the weekend which is awesome. 

Stop every hour or 2 for a few mins to stretch and what not.

Make sure your stator works. Other than that enjoy and plan a fun route.

The route there is a route I've driven 50+ times at least. Pretty much all highway.

70>79>68>then some back roads to my home in VA.

I plan on riding skyline dr (105 mile route through the blue ridge mountains) on sunday.

The trip back might be through the mountains depending on how i feel

The only reason I'm taking a straight shot there is because I want to make sure I get there in time for the wedding I'm going to. Thats why I was saying I may take a very mountainous route on the way back

Once you have your bike packed and loaded, jump on it and ride it around a little bit, look for any little annoying flutter of a strap, or anything that isn't 100% comfortable. Long rides have a way of compounding annoyances. Wear your ear plugs, and enjoy the ride.

do NOT try a new dandruff shampoo the night before the trip, theres nothing quite as annoying as an itchy head under a helmet for a 12 hour ride...

Edited by magley64
  • Upvote 2

What part of VA are you headed to?  My folks and inlaws are in Loudoun County, I'm very familiar with that route myself.  Watch for construction around Washington, PA.  They're building a fly-over overpass to replace the poorly designed transition from 79N to 70W.  Lots of junk in the road.  Coming back, look at US50.  Fun road through WV and SEOH, but plan on spending 12-14 hours on the road. 

Once you have your bike packed and loaded, jump on it and ride it around a little bit, look for any little annoying flutter of a strap, or anything that isn't 100% comfortable. Long rides have a way of compounding annoyances. Wear your ear plugs, and enjoy the ride.

do NOT try a new dandruff shampoo the night before the trip, theres nothing quite as annoying as an itchy head under a helmet for a 12 hour ride...

Good advice!

Do a test pack  a few days before you plan to take off...there's not much storage on a bike and you may have to downsize or come up with alternative packing methods.Dry bags are nice,I have a couple I could loan you if you need one.

Grab a tire plugging kit and a source of air if you don't already have one.You probably won't have any mechanical problems with a new bike,but you never know about a punctured tire.

Don't wear cotton underwear...seriously,cotton can be very uncomfortable on a long haul..get some thing that wicks like ex-officio.

And don't forget those earplugs.

Enjoy your ride.

• Upvote 1

The route there is a route I've driven 50+ times at least. Pretty much all highway.

70>79>68>then some back roads to my home in VA.

I plan on riding skyline dr (105 mile route through the blue ridge mountains) on sunday.

The trip back might be through the mountains depending on how i feel

I am also riding through WV and VA this weekend.

That much highway riding on a Ninja 300 sounds unpleasant.  Also, your highway trip will bypass some of the best motorcycle roads in the eastern part of the US. 

On a curvy back road, where you're moving around on the bike you won't get nearly as stiff or uncomfortable as you will  droning along the highway.  If it were me, I would leave a few hours early and take the fun route.  http://www.motoroads.net/

If you know someone with a Spot tracker that you could borrow, that would be good.  I don't venture far without mine.  Cell phones are OK as long as you are near "civilization", but they can not be counted on when in the middle of nowhere.

A few years ago, while leading a group ride, one of the riders crashed and broke his back.  We were in the middle of B-F Nowhere, with no cell coverage and I utilized the "Emergency" feature of the device to summons help.  It literally was a life-saver.

A "Cramp-buster"  is also good (and cheap) for long runs (if you don't have cruise control)

Edited by sirepair

Make sure someone knows your routes, bring something to clean bugs off your visor, drink plenty of fluids. It's better to stop too soon than too late if you wait to stop until you are sore and cramping up then you're going to end up suffering. 

I'll just listen to music the the whole way.

I have a DIY coat hanger cruise control 

Im going to put the silencer into my leo vince exhaust to cut back on droning.'

just ordered a blow up doll. check

Edited by Koreo

What part of VA are you headed to?  My folks and inlaws are in Loudoun County, I'm very familiar with that route myself.  Watch for construction around Washington, PA.  They're building a fly-over overpass to replace the poorly designed transition from 79N to 70W.  Lots of junk in the road.  Coming back, look at US50.  Fun road through WV and SEOH, but plan on spending 12-14 hours on the road. 

Fredericksburg/Orange County area.

Yea, I know all about that construction. Like I said, I've been driving this route for years. 

I was thinking about taking 33/55 out of Harrisonburg, through the moutains and Elkins, WV and cut over to 79N. I've taken this route before in my car and it was amazing.

Also forgot to add, I do have a power outlet on my bike that I installed to charge my phone

Edited by Koreo