Anyone Else Get Called Paranoid For Prepping

speedytriple

Are the freeze dried meals any good, taste wise?

How long of a shelf life do they have?

My house is on a slab, I wouldn't mind building a tornado shelter in my closet under the stairwell. Is that weird?

And when he does get sick I bet it's a near death experience. I have a germaphob cousin that says "I told you so" when you have a small cold for a few days. But every time she gets sick she's hospitalized and has pneumonia or something else life threatening. Because she has no immune system due to never being exposed to anything. I'll take having a bug a few times a year vs. being in the hospital for days or weeks every couple years.

100% correct, same with his wife.  Even a minor injury, he just hurt his ankle last week on his first training day with a personal trainer, like first lap, and he's on crutches and all that jazz.  Not immune related but its always 100% serious injury when it might be a rolled ankle.  FWIW we sit all day so he isn't using crutches for work related stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Building shelving in my crawl space this weekend to better store and organize my water supplies, along with some Spam and canned goods.

Also going to stock up on propane cylinders for my heater, and I think another 5 gallon gas can (and some syphoning hoses) would be a prudent move.  In the winter, I do my best to keep my car's tank full.  That's a few days' worth of generator power in a pinch.

Building shelving in my crawl space this weekend to better store and organize my water supplies, along with some Spam and canned goods.

Also going to stock up on propane cylinders for my heater, and I think another 5 gallon gas can (and some syphoning hoses) would be a prudent move.  In the winter, I do my best to keep my car's tank full.  That's a few days' worth of generator power in a pinch.

Dude how funny is it I just started a small list to last about 2 weeks to put into the crawl space and SPAM was 100% on the list too!  As for the genny, I always keep a spare 5 gal can of fuel in the storage thing outside and then the 4.5gals in the genny is full, and wifes car is always over 1/4 tank or another 4 gals.  Or I will happily steal from all the cars left outside that are gas.  Hope no one tries to take my fuel from my truck though, diesel doesn't like spark plugs and carbs.....

Im not doing shelves but going to use the tupperwares we have left from our move.  Instead of cardboard we bought plastic containers the size of a good moving box so we could reuse them. 

remember, your hot water tank holds quite a bit of water, accessible via the drain in case of true emergencies.

Wow, awesome point! Ours is a 50gal so that's a ton of h20.  Man good looking out for real.  I planned on picking up supplies this weekend though and 2 cases of bottled water was on it.  Figure every year we will replace it and just use what we bought so it never gets stale.

Spam, canned beans, water, canned chili, canned veggies, are all going to be my main staples.  Figure it's all stuff we can eat without heating it if it's an absolute must.  Again, not prepping for "SHTF" long term but more a few weeks of an ice storm or something of that sort. 

I have a msr filter the life straw is ok but has many draw backs. One being having to get that close to the water source if you have nothing to hold it in. Fall in the water and risk exposer to the elements. In a home emergency they would be ok, but for field use i found the msr better. And the msr can filter 10000 gallons on one filter, life straw is like 25 i think. I just picked up more canned food and dried food after that storm hit Buffalo this week. Also filled up all three 20 pound propane tanks for my heater and picked up a case of one pounders for my camp stove.

Sweetwater miniEX and a Katadyn Base Camp Water Filter

Backpack and base camp

edit: US Marines are trying out a Sweetwater model. They found previous use of "push-pull" types to be prone to failure too often. Plus the Sweetwater quickly disassembles and cleans in the field.

Edited by ReconRat

My problem is that I'd LIKE to do a little more serious prepper stuff, but my wife is NOT into it, and I also don't have a lot of room.  Also... I'd rather not really tell her that I'm prepping.  She wouldn't understand, and what's more, we have a condo without a lot of room :(

So, coincidentally, Massdrop has a sale on Sawyer 2 liter Filtration Systems today.  

The link is here: 

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/sawyer-2-l-water-filtration-system?s=water

But if you sing up for massdrop, PLEASE use my invite code thingy: https://www.massdrop.com/r/DN97AS

It'll be cheaper if more people order it... Only 15 needed for a pretty steep discount.  Even if you don't buy it, feel free to sign up with my invite code :)