Goodbye Vfr...

Steve Butters

Yes, wind protection.  That was a big difference that I notice going from a naked to the VFR.  Wind buffeting was bad on my naked a highway speeds and after a long highway trip I felt beat up.

^^^There is no need to remove layers if you wear mesh!  It is like riding in a Tee shirt!

But NICE BIKE!

Fender eliminator kit has to be the first mod.

Agree. And a yoshi system. But I'm going to wait awhile... At least until I have a good chunk, if not all of it paid off... This is the most I've spent on any vehicle in my life, going to work on paying it off so I don't have a payment over my head forever... Plus, once it's paid off, I'll have plenty of cash for any mods I want :D

Yes, wind protection. That was a big difference that I notice going from a naked to the VFR. Wind buffeting was bad on my naked a highway speeds and after a long highway trip I felt beat up.

^^^There is no need to remove layers if you wear mesh! It is like riding in a Tee shirt!

But NICE BIKE!

Yea the highway riding is where it gets me. It'll take a little getting used to again, but totally worth it. The bike excels everywhere else that the lack of wind protection is tolerable... Keeps me riding slower too so that's not a bad thing... On the VFR I used to slab 90-100 constantly from boredom (and it did this very smoothly).. This bike is smooth up to 85ish, after that I'll start being bothered by the wind... It still goes plenty fast when I want to, but it's breaking my triple digit habit too, which isn't bad lol.... Keep it in the 80s and I don't notice the wind any worse than the VFR... The VFR was mildly rough on my back, this bike isn't in the slightest.. That was one of the bigger perks

I will mention though... This bike doesn't ride as smooth over all, and I definitely would not consider touring on it unless I had plenty of twisties to keep me occupied... It doesn't have the overall comfort of the VFR for a long haul.. But for a daily bike I like it much more... Once it's paid off, I'll be looking for an fjr or similar bike to get as a second bike for longer trips or rides with my gf (unless she's got her bike by then.. She goes back and forth)

She hates riding the back of this one.. Complains about the seat being so small

Edited by Steve Butters

I don't get bad buffeting on the Z1000 unless I am well above 80 which I stay below on the highway anyway. Getting the right windscreen makes a difference. The original screen I had caused a lot more buffeting. The one I have now has a lip that changes the airflow.

So far, the aftermarket support for these things isnt very good.....right now, this is a good thing lol...it prevents me from spending a bunch of money i dont have....but i already have a small list of things i wanna buy, but cant find any good US based websites to look for stuff....i miss living riding distance of iron pony....so easy to go in there and browse the big catalogs

The stock seat on that looks like an aftermarket Sargent. Maybe Tokyo Seat is doing a bit better job.

Maybe...I havent sat on a seat similar to this one before....but its definitely not the most comfortable lol, i would hope a sargent was more comfortable than this....I was reading on some UK sites that someone makes a nice gel seat for this thing...im going to look around

• 3 weeks later...

itll break a thousand miles tomorrow morning ..... update on my thoughts about it

- The stock seat was originally not very comfortable and the weird hump on the back feels odd. It has now broken in a lot, and its perfect...the seat is much more comfortable than the vfr.

- Wind protection was my first concern. Still havent added a windscreen, but my neck was toughened up. the wind doesnt really bother me anymore (at least not in my normal 85-95mph cruising speed)....So that is no longer an issue for me.

- I wish it had a center stand like vfr - but it doesnt. need to buy a stand but $150 for a convenience item doesnt sound so great right now since im looking for a place lol

- Matte paint seems like a pain....I mean, it shouldnt be hard to care for...I just have to order all new products that are made for matte finishes....Havent gotten around to ordering all the stuff yet so shes looking dirty as fuck. collects crazy amounts of dust ....will invest in a gloss paint job at some point in time

- Gas mileage is worse than vfr now that im more comfortable with the bike and cruising at higher speeds....im averaging 31mpg vs 42 of vfr.....i got 38 out of this bike when i first bought it, so its possible to get comparable mileage, i just dont have the control for it lol

- Stopping for gas every day after work because the tank is a small 3.7g and i commute 65 miles a day for work......vfr i could get 2 days out of

- Stock suspension settings are soft as fuck....bouncey and almost oversteers turning 90*...hard to explain ....ill be tweaking that soon, everything is fully adjustable

Honestly at this point, I have zero regrets about switching to this bike....its more comfortable, faster, handles better.....in my mind, it does everything better....if i had to pick a bike for long tours or something, i would take the vfr for the little extra wind protection which will help on longer rides, but for anything else im definitely satisfied....every ride is as exciting as the last one.....Most fun ive ever had on 2 wheels.

- Stopping for gas every day after work because the tank is a small 3.7g and i commute 65 miles a day for work......vfr i could get 2 days out of

My biggest (and really only) gripe about my Z1000 is the smallish tank. Good to see you are enjoying it. Nothing's worse than buyers remorse.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it didnt take long :lol:

38615023-aa85-47bc-a322-3e5f8e6d864c_zps

Got my first ticket last week (first ticket ever on a bike at that, although ive been stopped plenty of times lol)

The cop lit me up at 80 in a 65...no big deal, pulled over.....turns out he had actually followed me for 5 miles, and had on camera where i had a little too much fun in a big sweeping curve (107 in a 65, ouch...) He was a fellow rider and cut me a lot of slack....After telling me he could arrest me for criminal speeding, he gave me a ticket for following too closely.

reckless op/aggressive driving is 8pts and 1yr license suspension out here....i lucked out lol...time to start easing up a little bit....also found out that highway patrol has an entire fleet of unmarked patrol cars....didnt know that before this lol...got stopped by an f150, and i actually saw a ford edge have someone pulled over later that night too

$168 ticket, but i can take traffic school for $170 online and waive the points and fine ....so, i wont save any money, but i wont get any points which is nice

Edited by Steve Butters

Ouch. Cops are usually cool if you treat them respectfully...I'm sure they get their fill of inbreds. I had a similar incident with a buddy in Brown county many years back.

So how is AZ? I'd love to live there - lots of off road opportunities - but the wife insists that if we move it will be somewhere with water. Of course, there's the fact that we are in the process of building a very large house here...

I love it here... Moved here the worst time of the year though.. It's too hot to really do anything right now.. But come September, I'll have 8-9 months of beautiful riding weather... Can't wait... Plan to do a lot of hiking and sight seeing too

There's a beach like 2hrs from here... Not that bad.. You have to cross the border into Mexico, but everyone says it's right across the border in a tourist area and the road there is a hassle free zone so no worries about Mexican police hustling you... We're gonna go soon