Would You Work For Harley Davidson?

mello dude

I am more the lurker on this board vs a post whore, but anyhoo knowing the flavor of this place, I thought I would throw this out there for some debate fodder. Kinda of a goofy silly topic but  anyhoo I am a veteran automotive engineer at the top of my game, lotsa products and projects and development stuff I have put in production. And of course the all out motorcycle geek foole too. Two wheels and its cool.  Many years of bikes and styles, mostly of Hondas and Yamahas. But Harleys have never been it for me, I have riden 5 or 6 and well that's nice, but no thanks. (Not a dig on Harleys, they are just not me.)

Out of the blue I have been invited to interview for a top engineering spot at Harley. I'm at - wow, an engineering spot for motorcycles! (but its on Harleys, -hmmmmmm, yawn)

Would you work for Harley if you really arent a Harley guy?

Just throwing out there for fun, whada say?

Edited by mello dude

Harley has engineers?  Who knew?

Seriously though, the biggest technical undertaking at HD in the last 25 years was probably the move from carbs to FI, and that's because they had to go to FI to meet emissions requirements.  I picture a lot of engineering ideas being over ruled by the HD stylists.

I would love some someone to engineer a bit more function into that ass jewelry though.

Edited by Tpoppa

Design a water cooled i4 Harley. Shove that shit down their throats. With the money they have, they could design and build one sick fucking sportbike...too bad they're living in the past.

Ask Erik Buell how

that would work out.

I am more the lurker on this board vs a post whore, but anyhoo knowing the flavor of this place, I thought I would throw this out there for some debate fodder. Kinda of a goofy silly topic but  anyhoo I am a veteran automotive engineer at the top of my game, lotsa products and projects and development stuff I have put in production.

So YOU'RE one of THOSE...  I have said many bad things about automotive engineers over the years.  "Have you ever had to work on what you've built?" is one of the big ones that we repair technicians throw around OFTEN...  :)

/rant

Back OT...

So this isn't a design position, but taking a design and making it work?  

Would you work for Harley if you really arent a Harley guy?

Just throwing out there for fun, whada say?

One of the main engineers that I worked with at Harley used to walk in to their plant wearing Suzuki, Yamaha, and Kawasaki shirts. He even had a Kawasaki lanyard that his ID badge hung from

I'm in aerospace and the engineers dont engineer they just copy the sos, just like the Motor Company. But its all about the money, take the job. One more line on your resume, and you might get some do rags & t shirts as a sign on bonus.

Do not take it. My brother went there out of college. 25 years. Started as a purchasing agent and worked his way up. He was in charge of building their KC plant. Got that online, came back and took over their museum. Saved the museum and turned it into a money maker.

Last year they cut all the managers with less than about 25 years or so. Broomed then all, him included. It is a f'ed up company man. And in some trouble.

Don't leave a good job for them.

• Upvote 1