School Me On A Tula Sks Rifle.

speedytriple

And no it will not be kept stock for long. It will be turned into a e.b.r. very quickly.

It's your rifle so do as you please, but why would you want to bubba-ize a historical rifle when an AK-47 would be a better platform for an EBR, and you can get them for the same or lower $$ that you'll have in an SKS plus its modifications?

If the rifle has historical value then keep it as is.

If not, and you want to modernize it, make sure you change enough parts to make it 922r compliant - that is, if you want the bigger mags you have to replace enough parts with made-in-usa parts to make it a US rifle, not a foreign rifle.  I replaced the mag body, baseplate, follower, stock, butt, top guard,hammer, sear and gas piston.

Here's my SKS:

Before:

photo4.jpg

After:

null-3.jpg

mikey, i'll call you tomorrow. got your voicemail but was riding around cbus and back to cleveland and hanging out with family all day.  i dont' know shit about lever actions, though

Fabulous rifle. Keep it unmodified to keep its curio and relics designation and collectibility.

It's your rifle so do as you please, but why would you want to bubba-ize a historical rifle when an AK-47 would be a better platform for an EBR, and you can get them for the same or lower $$ that you'll have in an SKS plus its modifications?

The SKS isn't really historical or collectible and deff not of high value. Also will not have less in an AK. AKs are pulling very good money, especially now. SKS are cheap, I'm sure he paid 200 or less, the cheapest AK we've sold at the shop lately was 600.

The SKS isn't really historical or collectible and deff not of high value. Also will not have less in an AK. AKs are pulling very good money, especially now. SKS are cheap, I'm sure he paid 200 or less, the cheapest AK we've sold at the shop lately was 600.

The SKS most certainly is historical, and (the Russians at least) are already becoming collectible ahead of the 91/30s as shootable pieces of history.  Books on the lineage and stampings have been around for years, ahead of the gun's eventual rarity.  And are you sure you're comparing Tulas to Tulas?  Russian SKSes aren't cheap - the lowest I've seen them in 2 years is $350-475 in original condition - usually lower if they've been modified and dirt cheap if they've been bubba'd.  Even the Chinese models (considered #2 in quality and collectibility behind the Russian models) are fetching $300-425.  Yugos are an excellent value, but they use a lot of stamped metal, whereas the Tula is all machined except for the safety and box magazine.  If you take a Tula at market value, add a synthetic stock and detachable mag and drill in a scope mount, you'll quickly be at $600 or more.

Anyway, like I said do what you want if it makes you enjoy the firearm, especially if it's reversible.  Scruit is right about 922r compliance, so be careful!  I just hate to see the most desirable of SKS lineages sportsterized.  It's my issue, not yours.  I tend to lean towards historical value with old stuff vs. using them as "chopper" platforms.

I have never been able to find a hi-cap mag for sks that feeds reliably, I've tried steel, plastic, different brands, different ammo, all jam. I'm not the only one either, I remember it being a big issue on the gun and game forums.

I have never been able to find a hi-cap mag for sks that feeds reliably, I've tried steel, plastic, different brands, different ammo, all jam. I'm not the only one either, I remember it being a big issue on the gun and game forums.

Tapco 20 round works great. Haven't tried the 30.

I noticed the feed lips on the tapco plastic mags are different from the metal mags. I took about 3/4 of material from the leading edge and now it feeds 100%

Agree with the don't modify anything that won't convert back to stock.

Not sure I'd even drill n tap for scope/mount.

Dang scopes move around on sks anyway.

1. Russian sks is worth more. (Although value diluted as more show up.)

2. Milled receiver is worth more (ditto)

3. Never heard of anything other than stock 10 round magazine working very well.

4. Scruit's conversion looks really nice.

5. Have seen an sks that was really accurate at short range with iron sights. (1973 Chinese militia milled.)

6. Reloading with clips can be really really fast once you learn how to.

edit: 7. Cleaning rods sometimes fly off when shooting.

edit: 8. Work best if all the cosmoline grease is cleaned out of the action.

Edited by ReconRat

Dude, it's an SKS not an AR and if you're dead set on butchering one up, get the Norinco.

+1

And the Tula and Norinco both shoot about the same at the carbine distances they were designed for.