Extreme Points Of The Contiguous United States Tour.

2talltim

I've been thinking about this for a while and I want to start things in motion. I what to hit all the extreme points of the contiguous United States sometime on my bike that your can drive to. These points include most northern which is Angles Inlet/Lake of the Woods Minnesota, southern most which us Key West, eastern point at West Quoddy Head/light house in Maine, western point at Cape Alava,Washington. Would also like to hit the highest and lowest points in elevation which are Mount Whitney, and Badwater Basin, Death Valley both in California.

This is something I'll probably streched out over several years and ill save the longest routes for last. I'm thinking about doing the eastern most route first since it is the easiest and shortest. Not going to make it a race or an ass burner just take the time enjoy the scenes in a few points interest along the way and enjoy it. Not really wanting to camp in these trips, my thoughts are being on the road all day its nice to have a nice dry bed and a shower etc to kick back and relax in the evenings. I'm not opposed to camping it just wouldn't be my first choice.

I know I've got the right bike, riding gear, and luggage, will eventually need to get a better GPS set up. There is some gavel sections in the Angles Inlet route that I would have to deal with but it's only 20 or 30 miles worth. And the out west trips would require oil changes and maybe tires mid trip. Main thing I would need I is a partner, I know my wife would not want to so this and for safety reasons and to split the cost of hotel rooms ect somebody to go with me would be beneficial. Would anybody else consider making this journey with me our at least parts of it?

The shorter trips I would like to knock out in the next 1 or 2 years the out west trips im probably looking more like 3 or 4 years out but i would just like to get things in the thought process.

Thoughts? Input? Suggestions?

I'd be up for it - always looking for new places to go and I'm not new to long distance riding.

Best part is that the wife works in the hotel industry and I generally get great room discounts ranging from free to $50 or so per night. Anyway....

Been to Key West many times and only once on a bike. Boring ass ride for the most part, but the town is kinda fun. Kinda like a college bar scene for old people <ggg>. Have done Death Valley on a bike as well but not much of Washington state and Maine really. Dipped into both states before, but not very far. The Minnesota trip would be an easy one, distance-wise. Black flies and mosquitoes will be an issue though. Still, I'm up for it.

I'll be within 300 miles of Death Valley next week on my annual trip to Utah / Arizona. Would be a piece of cake to add in another day or two and do Vegas and Death Valley.

Anything planned for later this summer? Could do the Minnesota thing before the end of the summer this year and get it done. Could hit Aerostich on the way, Mall of America, crap like that. Shouldn't take much more than 4-5 days round trip.

edit: 940 miles from Indy to Warroad, MN with Minneapolis being about half way. Easy 4 day ride.

Edited by Earache

I've been to key west too a few times but never on a bike. As far as this summer goes I still have one week of vacation remaining that i have no plans for which is currently scheduled for September 15-22. But I have a sick aunt in Colorado that me and parents were thinking about visiting before anything happens to her. So it all depends on what happens there.

The Minnesota trip would also require a passport due to having to cross into Canada, which I do have.

Thoughts? Input? Suggestions?

first, go for it, I have yet to to break three states in one ride (well, cheated ohio/pa/westva) so something like that is on my bucket list. Skirting the northern border in and out of Canada from Mackinac to Hippieville in Oregon would be incredible. oh hell yes. 

keys..lived s fla...would be a fun bike run, but winter silly with tourists with their heads (and eyes) up their asses. early early summer would be best, like march before you'd be a strip of bacon, head on a swivel, hated florida for bikes.

you a member of ADV? Or some other forum like goldwing, supertourer etc where they live breath and drool ironbutt trips? Find one to your liking, join, mingle and likely a safe hook up with a sane person of similar wants- I'm at a couple of those and routinely guys hook up for those long distance trips.

yes, dont go alone, good gps and a good camera! and use google to map out dealers, vendors etc all along the route, save to a flash drive and bring it with-all that info with no need for wifi. keep a flash drive on the bike with the shop manual in it-

Would also like to hit the highest and lowest points in elevation which are Mount Whitney, and Badwater Basin, Death Valley both in California.

2TT:  I haven't 'abused' Google this morning and it sounds like you've done yer homework, but I was always under the impression that the highest paved road in the US was Mt Evans in CO.  I know that is a 14er, so was wondering how high is Mt Whitney?

EDIT/ADD:  Here ya go!  http://byways.org/explore/byways/2112

Edited by Bubba

Well you probably are correct on driving to the highest point I guess I was just thinking getting to the highest point. You just added another to my list .lol.. Plus if your going to death vally you might as well check out mount Whitney they are real cost to one another.

ive been to cape alava. its a 3 mile hike from the parking lot out to the actual point. should go at low tide too so you can walk all the way out.

cool place though. pacific northwest is awesome. tons of other cool stuff in WA too.

Edited by John

ive been to cape alava. its a 3 mile hike from the parking lot out to the actual point. should go at low tide too so you can walk all the way out.

cool place though. pacific northwest is awesome. tons of other cool stuff in WA too.

What is the gravel road section like is it perfectly passible with regular street bike?

hmm, you know its been a few years, but i dont remember it being anything crazy. i think you'd be fine.

the trail is actually a boardwalk for most of the way too, so that's nice :)

2TT:  I haven't 'abused' Google this morning and it sounds like you've done yer homework, but I was always under the impression that the highest paved road in the US was Mt Evans in CO.  I know that is a 14er, so was wondering how high is Mt Whitney?

EDIT/ADD:  Here ya go!  http://byways.org/explore/byways/2112

Looks like ill be able to knock this one off my list in 2 weeks. In going out to Colorado with my parents to visit my sick aunt and im taking my bike in tow. Want to hit Mt Evans, Rocky Mt national park, pikes peak, and a few other places. She live just outside fort Collins so its a great place to start.

Edited by 2talltim

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like ill be able to knock this one off my list in 2 weeks. In going out to Colorado with my parents to visit my sick aunt and im taking my bike in tow. Want to hit Mt Evans, Rocky Mt national park, pikes peak, and a few other places. She live just outside fort Collins so its a great place to start.

Did you make it to Mt. Evans? I was there 2 weeks ago and the road was open all the way to the top - it's been closed for over a year.  Some pics....

IMG_3788_zps46d236cb.jpg

IMG_3782_zps1c67fd73.jpg

IMG_3771_zps106cdb94.jpg

IMG_3765_zpsca856d2d.jpg

Excellent shots! 

Looks like your day was quite a bit nicer than mine.

Headed top the Grand Canyon (again) and Bonneville in a couple of weeks. Hope to get back up Evans on a day like you had.

Nice vaca pics! With I could stomach a full months worth of time off all at once to do something like this, but I'd be SOL the rest of the year. I'd love to get a C14 to load up and test myself at it someday though ;)

Dont think im some hard corer just yet. I accually trailer the connie out to Colorado. We went out to visit my Aunt and there were 4 of us to split the gas so it just made sence to throw her on a trailer. We spent a day at Pikes peak too but we drove the Tahoe that day due to sever weather. Also spent a couple of days in the black hills,  Ill get more pics up once i get the change to upload them.