Help Speed Up A Old Laptop

2talltim

Long story short it's an old laptop that's not worth any thing but I would like to try to speed it up a little bit. Been really sluggish the last few years antivirus finds nothing on it windows defender finds nothing on it. Laptop is kind of junky won't even charge a battery anymore(junk plug) but Its easily to pick it up when I'm too lazy to walk over to the desktop. Anybody have any free scans or reg checks I can run on it. Its a Dell XPS M 140 with the centrino processor and Windows XP. Not worth putting any money into but if I can run some scans to clean it up I will do that for what I use it for

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by 2talltim

Re-load XP to get rid of all the hidden crap files.

If you don't want to do that then do a disc clean up:

My Computer > right click on the "C" drive and choose "Properties" then "Disk Cleanup".

Then go to "Add / remove programs" in controll panel and get rid of all the toolbars and stuff you don't use.

Including duplicate anti-virus programs and "Free" pc tune-up tools, weatherbug ect, ect...

Reboot.

After that create a new user, log in as that user, this is about as fast as your going to get.

Deciede then if it's worth going any farther with your pc adventures.

• Upvote 1

One word.  Ubuntu.  Once you get it running, you'll be astounded how much faster it is.  I loaded it on my netbook and it's faster than my Windows desktop now.  Seriously considering running it on the big machine too.

• Upvote 1

Lesser option: As said, reinstall XP. It will be back to its original speed, if not a little slower.

What I'd recommend (also said): Install Ubuntu. It will be faster than it ever was. I've done it to multiple older computers.

If you'd like to run linux use linux mint. It includes all the codecs at install so u don't have to spend an hour finding the right ones to install yourself. http://linuxmint.com

I hate ubuntu's new desktop.  windows 8 tried to copy it for whatever reason.  it sucks balls to me.  I Fing hate everything about it.

Edited by serpentracer

well im 90% done and everything seems quicker, still waiting on all the windows updates and need to install my anti virus. The biggest pain in the ass was getting the LAN driver uploaded because i didnt have a disk and with out it i could not get online, but i got it figured out.

well mine is 10ish years old to begin with and it has be beat around a lot. kinda on its last leg physicly but ill keep it going as long as i can. Juat watch some youtube on it and video was real smooth i havent been able to do that on this computer in 2 years.