20 hours, 800 miles.

Benyen Soljax

so for those of us who arent in the loop, ive been in NH doing an internship since september without my motorcycle. september and october were hard months, but the original plan was to be back in ohio in march, just in time for the riding season. it was because of this that i left the bike at my parents house in columbus.

so after a while my employer asked me if i wanted to stay on my internship for a few more months, and i agreed because i like making money that isnt minimum wage.

at that point i decided i would fly back to columbus at some predetermined time and retrieve my motorcycle, with the details of getting it back to columbus left open ended...my flight was april 1st, skybus folded a few days later, and i left columbus last sunday. fate.

original plan was to take all backroads except to get around cities. google maps said this was a 20 hour trip, so i decided to stay overnight somewhere and have 2 really awesome 10 hour days. as i said, this was the original plan.

i rode us-62 through ohio and out into PA where i met up with PA666 (had to ride on it, and it looks to be pretty twisty). it ended up being a poorly taken care of road through the backcountry with wet spots and gravel littering the way. luckily i hadnt planned on staying on that road for long. soon i met up with us-6, which is by far one of the best roads i have ridden on. it is no deals gap, but it has some really good twists and turns that im sure would have been much cooler if my bike was faster. all of this and there was very little traffic, along with a litter of passing zones, and really nice sunny high temps. after making it through PA, i was approaching 10 hours in the saddle and almost 500 miles put away for the day. i did the math and figured i was making really good time. this fact, coupled with the fact that it was soon to be dark, and the fact that i wasnt as fatigued as i thought i would be led me to try and continue my trip on the freeway, and see just how far i could get before growing absolutely sick of riding for the day. i rode up to albany, NY on I-88 which is where it was back to the backroads, because the interstates stop at that point. at this point i figured i was pretty much in vermont and wanted to press on because i didnt really feel very tired. from albany, the route was NY-7 to VT-9 to NH-101, which goes right past my house here. it was around 11pm when i stopped for gas in albany, and i figured the trip through VT and NH would only take me 2 more hours, 3 at most.

what actually happened was much different. it was already getting pretty darn cold, but i had stopped to don the entirety of cold weather gear i had brought with me, as well as fill my gloves with handwarmers. this kept me relatively comfortable until i hit vermont. i started seeing some specks in my headlights while climbing up the VT mountains. i soon realized this to be rain, except this rain was falling rather slow. thats no moon, its a spacestation! no, nope, thats snow. i think i almost shit my pants. so i slowed it down to 30mph through this shit, which is the point when it started to accumulate. it was then i decided to cut all losses and get a hotel for the night. there was about 1/4" of snow on the roadway and i had had enough. only one problem, the only towns out here were ski towns and there was absolutely nobody at any of the motels. back on the road. so after countless miles going 25-30 through the white death, i finally made it back into the rain. never thought i would hear myself saying that about riding.

after all that, i made short work of finishing VT and charging my way through NH to my warm and cozy bed, safe and sound, just like the title says, 20 hours in the saddle later, with 800 more miles on the OD. i feel complete again.

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

This pic needs an arrow pointing down as well in the middle. :lol

I like the long trips too. I did 1300 miles over 2 consecutive weekends last September (Cincy to an hour south of Macon, GA then next weekend to Nashville)

Sounds like a blast.

I'll give ya $20 to go back and get one of those 666 signs. :lol:

when i was smaller me and my fam travelled on this road http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US-666

The route was given the nickname "The Devil's Highway", a reference to the Number of the Beast. This nickname and association made some people uncomfortable,[9] as well as making the signs targets for theft.[10]

i was going to originally suggest you pay me 50 to grab one of the US route signs, but seems like they are all but gone. so make it 25 and you got a deal.

edit: heres pics of both end of the road, i guess i rode the entire thing. started off from us-62 and went to us-6 http://www.state-ends.com/paends/state/666.html