Chain Tool?

Blitz

Anyone have a chain tool I could borrow for a day? I just bought and mounted two new tires and in the process realized I also need a new rear sprocket. So I'm going to do both sprockets and the chain at the same time.....but I've used up most of my bike repair budget for the month at this point.

If I could borrow a chain tool for 24 hours, I'd greatly appreciate it. I live near Newark but I work in Columbus. I'd just need it for a day and would return it promptly. Many thanks to anyone willing to loan out a tool to a stranger. I assure you, I'm good for it.

I'm pretty far out of pocket to help you unless you feel like driving 1800 miles. But a chain tool isn't too expensive and is a.worthwhile investment. But the pins are easily breakable if used improperly. So you may have trouble getting people to loan One out.

Yeah, I plan to invest in one. I had a nice motion pro breaker and riveting set, but left it in an ex-girlfriends garage, and that's about all I miss from that relationship. I'm just tight on funds at the moment so I thought I'd ask. If I were to break it, I'd buy a replacement.

And yeah, 1800 miles is the definition of "out of pocket". :)

Edited by Blitz

If you are just removing the factory chain with no plans to ever reuse I can let you borrow a grinder/cut off tool. Not trying to be stupid and not positive that will help you but if it will its yours to borrow.

Edited by bowdog

I like the chains with the spring clip style never had any problems with them

I always used those on my dirt bikes and atv's but never on a street bike. You're not supposed to, don't know all the reasons why but I'm sure 160+ mph and way more hp/tq than any dirt bike has a lot to do with it.

I always used those on my dirt bikes and atv's but never on a street bike. You're not supposed to, don't know all the reasons why but I'm sure 160+ mph and way more hp/tq than any dirt bike has a lot to do with it.

I've  always used the spring style master link on my street bikes; wouldn't hesitate to use it on the track bike either, other than getting shit when going through tech.  Installed correctly("sharp" stamped side out and open end trailing), there is nothing wrong with the spring clips retainer IMHO.  The problem arrises when people install them wrong, damage them, or continue to use them after they have become bent or twisted.

I used the spring clips on my heavy bikes (77 and 79 CB750) and those were 630 chains, Heavy Duty.

on the XX, i just use the crush style just because I have the tool, and that's what the manufacturer suggests. I'd have no concerns about running a spring clip master link if a situation arose where i needed a link and didnt have the tool.

My bike don't go that fast plus its old as dirt have put 3000 miles on it since I put the new chain on it never had any problems so far

Cut the old chain with an abrasive wheel, use progressively bigger punches to swage out the rivet link, just have someone back the chain up with a sledge or big chunk of metal. Air hammer works wonders. I've done 4 chains like this without a problem.

I've  always used the spring style master link on my street bikes; wouldn't hesitate to use it on the track bike either, other than getting shit when going through tech.  Installed correctly("sharp" stamped side out and open end trailing), there is nothing wrong with the spring clips retainer IMHO.  The problem arrises when people install them wrong, damage them, or continue to use them after they have become bent or twisted.

This^^^

Thanks for all the tips guys.  Dizzle Dan met Hutch and I to ride this morning and brought his chain tool along as a present for me....to borrow.  Thanks again Dan.  Much appreciated.

I had a guy that rides track days at Mid-Ohio every week tell me to go the clip-on route and says he puts a little silicone on it for added security.  So that's an option I guess.  But it is nice to have the right tool for the job!