Southern Ohio Hotel/restaurant Suggestions

Mary#17

Hoping to do some riding in southern Ohio this weekend. We had originally planned on staying at the Blennerhassett hotel in Parkersburg but they have some special event and are booked. So I looked into our other favorite the OU inn at Athens and they are booked as well.

So I'm looking for a cool/unique and/or clean hotel that either has it's own nice restaurant or a nice restaurant within walking distance. Preferably steak. :)

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

Mary

If you're in Marietta go 60N to rt on 530, 821S, Left Denzel RD rt on 556,rt 260,Left on 26,rt 800,Left 255,Left 7,Left 536,rt 78,Left 7,left 556,145 south back to 821S back to Marietta. Those are some of my favorites. If you hit 255 be careful I put mine down last weekend the first turn after the stop sign.

If you're in Marietta go 60N to rt on 530, 821S, Left Denzel RD rt on 556,rt 260,Left on 26,rt 800,Left 255,Left 7,Left 536,rt 78,Left 7,left 556,145 south back to 821S back to Marietta. Those are some of my favorites. If you hit 255 be careful I put mine down last weekend the first turn after the stop sign.

Sorry about your fall. My husband did the same thing on some silt after a rain.  Taking it easy and then bam. Not fun.

I've actually ridden most of those roads but it's been a couple of years. We kind of quit going that way because of the poor road conditions and construction.  I loved 255.  Have some of those roads been repaved? I know they were doing some work to 255 but I don't know what they did.

Mary

Sorry about your fall. My husband did the same thing on some silt after a rain.  Taking it easy and then bam. Not fun.

I've actually ridden most of those roads but it's been a couple of years. We kind of quit going that way because of the poor road conditions and construction.  I loved 255.  Have some of those roads been repaved? I know they were doing some work to 255 but I don't know what they did.

Mary

I rode 255 on Sunday.  The road surface was in decent shape, but there was quite a bit of gravel.  About half the right handers had gravel from trucks dragging it onto the surface :(  Still worth riding, but at a slower than usual pace.

Mary

I agree with tpoppa. 536 was the worst that I listed other than that they're in pretty good shape.

Since we learned our lesson at the Lafayette's bar, we now eat at the brewhouse just up the street. Same side of the street, but north about a block and a half.

Marietta Brewing Co - http://www.mbcpub.com/

Damned good food - not reheated Sysco shit like everywhere else in town. Beers are average brewpub stuff - nothing great but nothing bad either.

I'm putting this out there under the unique catagory...the Wells Inn in Sistersville WV. Nothing real fancy,but clean and pretty cool old motel(built in 1896).About two hundred yards from the Sistersville ferry and the bottom of 800 at Fly.

If you're looking for unique...how many times have you took a ferry to and from your motel to the good roads?

I'd call it a three star motel.

Call ahead...the oil and gas boom is hitting over here and lodging is getting tight.

Of course,there are some good roads on the WV side too.If you want something interesting you could take my route to work at the Mobley MarkWest site...from New Martinsville @2>7>20s>North Fork Rd(@Pine Grove) to Mobley.North Fork is newly paved.

Enjoy your time in S.E.O.

Don't forget Burr Oak SRP off of 78 near Glouster, northeast of Nelsonville. They just refurbished the lodge including the bar.

Our group is staying in two of the cabins the weekend after Labor Day.

Been there done that.....and the dogs aren't bad at all!

If you are down Chilli way, try the 'Smoke House' on Canal Street.  Unless you come in for lunch (they open at like noon or so) look to have nearly an hour wait for a table.  But its well worth the wait.

We ended up staying at The Hackett and the place was great!!!! Ate steaks at the galley restaurant below and they were delicious! We had breakfast at the Lafayette and I agree with earache - I'm so glad we didn't stay there! More later......

Mary

• 2 weeks later...

Maysville KY has the French Quarter Inn, and Chandlers has incredible steaks! The French Quarter Inn is very unique and overlooks the Ohio River. Not much in town worth doing other than those two places, and O'Rourkes Pub on the corner. All within a couple of blocks of eachother. Lots of events in Maysville throughout the good weather months too.

http://www.frenchquarterinn.com/

Edited by Ron505