Track Day

attentiongetter92

I have been thinking about doing a track day for a while now, and am curious to know about them a little bit.  I am not overly confident in my riding but it is my understanding that these will help with it.  How hard do you get pushed? I really don't want to take a chance on laying my bike down, but I want to enjoy the day.

I have been thinking about doing a track day for a while now, and am curious to know about them a little bit.  I am not overly confident in my riding but it is my understanding that these will help with it.  How hard do you get pushed? I really don't want to take a chance on laying my bike down, but I want to enjoy the day.

You shouldn't ever get pushed into a pace on the track, you show up and ride your pace they will find a group to put you in that rides close to the same. I have seen riders with 100 miles under their belt show up so as long as you can ride it you are good.

You shouldn't ever get pushed into a pace on the track, you show up and ride your pace they will find a group to put you in that rides close to the same. I have seen riders with 100 miles under their belt show up so as long as you can ride it you are good.

sweet thanks.  I may try and get into one of the track days in september at mid ohio

I did an STT day (my third track day ever) where Craig was one of the coaches. After the 1st session parade laps, the novice leader asked everyone "who wants to go faster?" (We had barely hit highway speeds on the straights)

Everyone gave an enthusiastic "yes," but one woman was petrified. She had about 100 miles on her brand new GSXR 600, and didn't want to go any faster.

So they found an "extra" coach, and she rode 55 on the straights all day.

You'll be fine.

Edited by redkow97

I did an STT day (my third track day ever) where Craig was one of the coaches. After the 1st session parade laps, the novice leader asked everyone "who wants to go faster?" (We had barely hit highway speeds on the straights)

Everyone gave an enthusiastic "yes," but she was petrified. She had about 100 miles on her brand new GSXR 600, and didn't want to go any faster.

So they found an "extra" coach, and she rode 55 on the straights all day.

You'll be fine.

tbh, 55 doesnt seem fun to me.  But I understand what you are saying.  I just dont want to let the speed racer part of my persona get the best of me and I wind up in the kitty litter

Oh it's fun.  

Don't ride like a total yahoo, listen to what your coach says, apply what your coach says, don't ride out of your comfort level, you'll be fine.  

You guys have me convinced! I am going to try and get into one of the novice days in September, who knows, maybe the woman will get it for me for my bday coming up...

tbh, 55 doesnt seem fun to me. But I understand what you are saying. I just dont want to let the speed racer part of my persona get the best of me and I wind up in the kitty litter

If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.

For the record, I saw that woman run wide and dump her brand new bike in the grass.

Ride your ride. Crashing is very rarely fun.

The only other thing I would advise is to get your bike prepped and checked over EARLY. I saw one rider trying to remove his center stand between sessions. No fun. Either remove that kid if thing ahead of time, or just accept that you can't lean that far over. (What killed me about that guy was we were both on EX500's, I was significantly quicker, and I had never dragged my center stand. He also ignored my warning that the bolt to remove the center stand wouldn't clear the headers... So that guy missed a session performing unnecessary ''maintenance.")

If you're available the 31st, I think CRP would allow a "big" bike on the track. You could get some basics down without the high speeds. $15 plus $8 at the gate...

If you're not having fun, you're doing something wrong.

For the record, I saw that woman run wide and dump her brand new bike in the grass.

Ride your ride. Crashing is very rarely fun.

The only other thing I would advise is to get your bike prepped and checked over EARLY. I saw one rider trying to remove his center stand between sessions. No fun. Either remove that kid if thing ahead of time, or just accept that you can't lean that far over. (What killed me about that guy was we were both on EX500's, I was significantly quicker, and I had never dragged my center stand. He also ignored my warning that the bolt to remove the center stand wouldn't clear the headers... So that guy missed a session performing unnecessary ''maintenance.")

If you're available the 31st, I think CRP would allow a "big" bike on the track. You could get some basics down without the high speeds. $15 plus $8 at the gate...

CRP?

NoBama 2012

The circleville kart track.

I'll be there 8/31 with a few other people. It would probably be all 1st and 2nd gear on a "big" bike, if they will even allow them.

I need to call about that... But if the track doesn't care, it is a stupid cheap way to get some basic body position and race line learning down in a controlled environment.

My bike tips out below 50, but the supermoto and F1 class bikes may push 70 on the back straight. I have never looked at how much runoff is available, because I rarely slide more than 15 feet or so.

It would NOT be the same experience as a full-sized track day, but I think you'd have fun getting your feet wet for cheap.

The circleville kart track.

I'll be there 8/31 with a few other people. It would probably be all 1st and 2nd gear on a "big" bike, if they will even allow them.

I need to call about that... But if the track doesn't care, it is a stupid cheap way to get some basic body position and race line learning down in a controlled environment.

My bike tips out below 50, but the supermoto and F1 class bikes may push 70 on the back straight. I have never looked at how much runoff is available, because I rarely slide more than 15 feet or so.

It would NOT be the same experience as a full-sized track day, but I think you'd have fun getting your feet wet for cheap.

Not a good idea.  You cannot ride a big bike around that track and learn anything that would help him on a big track.  Really not suggested, but what do I know?  The mini guys will contest the idea and provide shit examples of some guys that do and "succeed".  Big bikes would be a Supermoto and that would be a great learning skill to have at CRP, but not a full size sportbike.

My suggestion is to get with STT or Mid-Ohio school and enter the Novice group.  BE REALISTIC!  The fact is simple - street does NOT apply to your ability to ride track.  Thus, if new at street or maybe an average street rider, I suggest a middle pack or lower speed novice group.  If you are an accomplished and well adjusted street rider, I would sign up for a faster Novice group.  

Basics apply, but again - what you know on the street rarely applies other than fundamental bike controls on the track.  LISTEN to the coaches and try and ask as many questions as you can.  If you don't ask, you won't learn about YOU and YOUR riding.  They teach VERY basic skills.  The rest is up to you and can be accelerated by one on one with a coach.  But, you may need to approach them and have them assist.

Taking it slow doesn't make you a puss nor will get you criticized.  And, if you have buddies or someone that does make fun of you?  Have them look a few of us up and I am sure we can make it so that you can laugh at them.  ;)

Point is that this sport is about you as a rider.  Not the group you ride with, not what you THINK you are capable of and certainly not a place where egos help in any way.  We ALL started somewhere and worked to where we are now.  Some advance faster than others, some excel to God-like status, some never make the cut and others somewhere in between those examples.  But we all started as Novices or at the bottom of the barrel and had to climb up.  

What I have learned over the almost 20 years of doing this is that no matter how good you think you are, there's always someone faster.  And, to add to that, no matter how much you think you know, the fastest guys in the world are ALWAYS and CONSTANTLY learning.  If you think you have a bag of knowledge, you may be surprised at how empty that bag really is...

Just relax, have fun, don't push beyond your limits and above all, DO NOT EVER TRY AND PUSH TO KEEP UP.  Drop off, slow down and run at a pace that is designed for YOU.  You'll be amazed at how fast you'll go if you slow down...

• Upvote 1

How did I know you would respond?

I haven't ridden a "big" bike on a kart track, but I can't imagine it sucking so badly that I would be thinking "dammit, I want my $23 back!"

I just don't see what it could hurt. Even if the only thing learned is pit exit and entry procedures, I think that would be worth while to learn at low speeds rather than mid-Ohio speeds.

Edited by redkow97

I have been thinking about doing a track day for a while now, and am curious to know about them a little bit. I am not overly confident in my riding but it is my understanding that these will help with it. How hard do you get pushed? I really don't want to take a chance on laying my bike down, but I want to enjoy the day.

No such thing as Getting Pushed at a track day. Plus you shouldn't be looking back anyways :)

Sign up for any Novice/Beginner group and just have fun. The coaches will coach you as much or as little as you like. Be proactive about coaching. Speak up if you want someone to follow or show you lines.

As others have said, do all your prep well in advance. Wrenching on your bike at the track can suck.

How did I know you would respond?

I haven't ridden a "big" bike on a kart track, but I can't imagine it sucking so badly that I would be thinking "dammit, I want my $23 back!"

I just don't see what it could hurt. Even if the only thing learned is pit exit and entry procedures, I think that would be worth while to learn at low speeds rather than mid-Ohio speeds.

I responded because you're logic is insane. I get the idea you have a hard on for mini racing and are making every effort to promote them. Got it.

But if you think that riding CRP on a full size sportbike is going to help at a big track, stick with mini racing and let the big kids deal with the real bikes. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm sure you'll say that he needs to buy an xr100 and come down because it translates perfectly.

And you guys wonder why the mini guys have a bad rap...

OP - don't try and ride your sportbike at CRP. Waste of time and really, most likely will result in a crash or a lot of running off track. Get to mid-Ohio STT NESBA or Moto series. Do a novice group on a track designed and suitable for life size vehicles.

fun things about kart tracks and supermoto:

* its cheap

* you can bump elbows with your buddies on track

* you can drop the bike, run after it, get back on, and keep riding the rest of the day

fun things about big tracks

* speed

* getting low

* chicks dig it

we graduated from supermoto to big track. both great. to the OP - you'll be absolutely fine - just do it. think of it as really fast street riding, just no speeding tickets!

Are you referring to mini bikes running street tires or actual supermoto?  Actual supermoto isn't cheap. The cost to set up an MX bike to be a supermoto is expensive.  But, I will say that supermoto is something that translates to big bikes better than a small bike like a NSR is going to.

If he has a big bike, ride a big track.  Let's not get side tracked here...

I have done both big tracks and cart tracks. many many times.

I have to agree with Liz on this one.

Apparently because I don't ride the small bikes enough I cannot discuss it...  The funny thing is that I probably have more time on a small bike than red does.  I certainly have more real supermoto experience...  But, it just seems I bash my skull into a brick wall when we get into this little bike shit...

I responded because you're logic is insane. I get the idea you have a hard on for mini racing and are making every effort to promote them. Got it.

But if you think that riding CRP on a full size sportbike is going to help at a big track, stick with mini racing and let the big kids deal with the real bikes. It just doesn't make sense.

I'm sure you'll say that he needs to buy an xr100 and come down because it translates perfectly.

And you guys wonder why the mini guys have a bad rap...

My logic was "come spend $25 instead of $165" to get his feet wet.

YOU are the one who came into this thread with an apparent "big bikes and big tracks are the be all and end all of riding" attitude, implying that I'm not a "big kid" and don't ride a "real bike."

You're telling me that the mini guys have a bad rap, but you're the one being the obnoxiously huge asshole to me.  Right. Got it.

Not a good idea.  You cannot ride a big bike around that track and learn anything that would help him on a big track.  Really not suggested, but what do I know?  The mini guys will contest the idea and provide shit examples of some guys that do and "succeed".  Big bikes would be a Supermoto and that would be a great learning skill to have at CRP, but not a full size sportbike.

My suggestion is to get with STT or Mid-Ohio school and enter the Novice group.  BE REALISTIC!  The fact is simple - street does NOT apply to your ability to ride track.  Thus, if new at street or maybe an average street rider, I suggest a middle pack or lower speed novice group.  If you are an accomplished and well adjusted street rider, I would sign up for a faster Novice group.  

Basics apply, but again - what you know on the street rarely applies other than fundamental bike controls on the track.  LISTEN to the coaches and try and ask as many questions as you can.  If you don't ask, you won't learn about YOU and YOUR riding.  They teach VERY basic skills.  The rest is up to you and can be accelerated by one on one with a coach.  But, you may need to approach them and have them assist.

Taking it slow doesn't make you a puss nor will get you criticized.  And, if you have buddies or someone that does make fun of you?  Have them look a few of us up and I am sure we can make it so that you can laugh at them.   ;)

Point is that this sport is about you as a rider.  Not the group you ride with, not what you THINK you are capable of and certainly not a place where egos help in any way.  We ALL started somewhere and worked to where we are now.  Some advance faster than others, some excel to God-like status, some never make the cut and others somewhere in between those examples.  But we all started as Novices or at the bottom of the barrel and had to climb up.  

What I have learned over the almost 20 years of doing this is that no matter how good you think you are, there's always someone faster.  And, to add to that, no matter how much you think you know, the fastest guys in the world are ALWAYS and CONSTANTLY learning.  If you think you have a bag of knowledge, you may be surprised at how empty that bag really is...

Just relax, have fun, don't push beyond your limits and above all, DO NOT EVER TRY AND PUSH TO KEEP UP.  Drop off, slow down and run at a pace that is designed for YOU.  You'll be amazed at how fast you'll go if you slow down...

quoted so it can't be retracted later.

Edited by redkow97

Apparently because I don't ride the small bikes enough I cannot discuss it...  The funny thing is that I probably have more time on a small bike than red does.  I certainly have more real supermoto experience...  But, it just seems I bash my skull into a brick wall when we get into this little bike shit...

about now, i WISH you would bash your head into a brick wall.  You're having a debate with yourself! 

My logic was "come spend $25 instead of $165" to get his feet wet.

YOU are the one who came into this thread with an apparent "big bikes and big tracks are the be all and end all of riding" attitude, implying that I'm not a "big kid" and don't ride a "real bike."

You're telling me that the mini guys have a bad rap, but you're the one being the obnoxiously huge asshole to me.  Right. Got it.

OK, let's spin this another way.  You always come on and tell everyone how great it is to save money.  I get that.  But are you telling me that it makes perfect sense for a guy with a full size sportbike to go to CRP with how tight a karting track is to ride at any type of speed to get "used to riding at a track" before going into the Novice program at any one of the clubs I mentioned?  Answering that will dictate my being an asshole.

I didn't start the deal, bro.  You mentioned it and I said it was a stupid idea.  I kept it a bit more tame, but since you calling me an asshole, I am going to say it was fucking stupid which it really is.  

As for the quote above so that it cannot be retracted - dude...  I don't retract shit.  In fact, I will say that it was a fucking stupid idea to your face.  Because it is.

I love the fact that you're drinking the Kool-Aide.  Awesome.  You might wanna re-read the post you quoted and find any point where I was aiming directly for you.  You might also want to find a spot where I was name calling as you just did.  You're a class act, dude.  The fact is really simple.  It is a guy asking about track days.  Not whether it makes sense to take a bike and ride it at a super slow speed similar to an MSF course layout and be adaptable to a track like Nelson or Mid-Ohio.  I think you honestly cannot see the craziness in what you are saying.

Reading comprehension, Brian.  I never said that small tracks or small bikes would translate to a larger track or make him "better" in any way on a full-sized track. 

I said "i don't see what it could hurt," and suggested that he could work on basic pit in/out procedures (like getting a hand up before exiting), basic body position, and learn the basics of a race line. 

I've spent years on this site reading about how you know everything and are always right; watching you blow up on people and and about once a year you apologize for being an asshole and promise you'll be different - and then a few months later, you come back acting the same, belittling anyone whose opinion doesn't mirror yours exactly enough.

Congratulations - I've been a member here for over 5 years, and you're the first and only person to ever make my "ignore" list.  You're just not worth the aggravation. 

Enjoy being fast and knowing everything.  I'd rather be slow and stupid than be like you.

about now, i WISH you would bash your head into a brick wall.  You're having a debate with yourself! 

Awesome.  Now you're wishing injury on me...  Sweet...  Keep it coming.

Tell ya what...  You come to Nelson and I'll pay the entry fee.  You run the fastest lap you can and I'll run mine.  Then, we go to CRP and I'll pay there also.  I'll bring a stock CRF100 and run the fastest lap and you do the same.  We get some practice time and maybe a time limit.  Meaning, you won't get a full day to keep fiddling with shit and learning stuff.  Or, if you'd rather do a full day, that's fine also.

The guy with the lowest total lap time wins and has to post that they suck sweaty balls and that the winner is the best rider in the world.  I get to say that little bikes don't do shit for getting faster on a big bike and big track and if you win, you get to say that I am wrong and that big bike racers suck at riding minis.  Or whatever floats your wiener.

What say you to that offer?

Otherwise, keep racing the mini.  Keep thinking that a full sized sportbike will be a great idea to learn race lines and body position at a karting track.  Please do not sign up as an instructor anywhere.  Please!

Reading comprehension, Brian.  I never said that small tracks or small bikes would translate to a larger track or make him "better" in any way on a full-sized track. 

I said "i don't see what it could hurt," and suggested that he could work on basic pit in/out procedures (like getting a hand up before exiting), basic body position, and learn the basics of a race line. 

I've spent years on this site reading about how you know everything and are always right; watching you blow up on people and and about once a year you apologize for being an asshole and promise you'll be different - and then a few months later, you come back acting the same, belittling anyone whose opinion doesn't mirror yours exactly enough.

Congratulations - I've been a member here for over 5 years, and you're the first and only person to ever make my "ignore" list.  You're just not worth the aggravation. 

Enjoy being fast and knowing everything.  I'd rather be slow and stupid than be like you.

First of all, I only have apologized when I felt the person was going to try and mess with my stuff or harm my family or scare them.  The only times.  I apologized to someone on WERA because I wasn't wanting them to take it so seriously that they tried to harm a way of life.  People get WAY too serious.  So, big deal.

But, I do blow up on people and what is really funny is when people like yourself that try and back pedal and try to argue a point and then realize that the truth was being spoken by me or someone else.  You did say what you just quoted.  But, you think that someone can practice body position and race line.  You cannot practice when the bike cannot be maneuvered successfully on such a tight track.  Dragging knee on a 600 at CRP?  Good one.  Pit in and Pit out is simple.  Listen to a coach and when you go out on the first lap and they roll out of pit and roll off the track to show the rider what they are talking about, the lesson is learned and you should be able to get the drift.  He can practice that on the freeway...  I only "blow up on people" when they tend to spout off information to people like the OP that are green horns and trying to absorb proper information.  I don't want a guy to spend the money driving down to CRP and spending ANY money or even getting in for free and wasting time and money.  What he is going to get from CRP and a full size sportbike is exactly what he can get from riding clover leafs or running in a parking lot.  Those are free.  So, even cheaper which is right up your alley.

What really boils my ass is the idea that you think road racing and track days are super expensive and apparently you can get the same exact feel and results with mini racing.  Maybe to some people.  Maybe.  But to what is apparently a higher number of participants when looking at the amount that come to both types of events, big bikes are still pretty popular.  Quit with the "I'm poor and cannot afford track days so I ride minis and so should everyone else."  Your arguments are always based on cost.  That's silly.  It's like saying you should buy a push mower to cut your 5 acre yard because it is cheaper and you get the same end result.  Yes, the yard gets cut but it is nowhere the same thing as if you had a larger riding mower.

Finally, I don't run around saying that I am fast and I never say anything to that side of things.  You throw shit out, call out names, wish people ill will and all the time, all I am saying is that your idea doesn't make sense.  Your panties get in a wad and then you pout and place me on ignore.  Perfect.  I'm obviously not dealing with an adult.  Or if an adult, one with super thin skin.  Shame.