5k For Mods ..but Where To Start???

Rocco675r

I agree with fairings, suspension upgrades, brakes, rearsets, spare tires, and most importantly trackdays. From all I've been told, these will be the best initial investments to yield better results. Some different sprockets for gearing options. You can nab more torque just gearing the bike. Good luck, you've already got a great specimen to start with

• Upvote 1

So much mis-information in this thread I don't even know where to start but I'll give it a shot...

A full exhaust along with a race air filter like a BMC are as far as I would go with performance mods, they will net you some pretty noticeable gains. I went from 105 to 118 hp with a proper tune, and saw gains of over 20 hp in the midrange. Tuning this bike COULDN'T BE EASIER!!!!!!! There is FREE software called TuneECU that will write directly to the ECU. No need to spend money on a piggy back system like a TuneBoy, PowerCommander, Bazzaz, etc. Also, a well known 675 tuner who will tune with TuneECU is right here in Bucyrus, OH. (Near Mid-O) Check out HordPower.com, he did a custom dyno tune on my bike and it cost me a measly $100. It's worth the drive no matter what part of OH you're from. So, with a full exhaust, race filter and a tune, you're in for about $2K with $3K left to spend.

Next thing I would address is braking. The bike already has pretty decent Brembo calipers and master cylinder on it and already has braided lines. The only upgrade I would consider is the rotors. The 675R is known to have a small amount of shudder under HEAVY braking. Solution...full floating rotors. $500 for a set. Or...try these. https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.php?route=product/product&path=52_56&product_id=225 Lots of people on the Triumph forums have used them with great success, they convert your semi-floating rotors into full floating rotors. You'll need 20 to do both rotors, $132 instead of $500. If you use the buttons, you're at a grand total of $2132 spent.

Next, buy some track bodywork for it. I would recommend Optimal Racing fairings. $455 shipped, I've had them on one of my older 675's and Jbot has them on his. They're pretty decent fit and finish. Paint them yourself for $50 or spend $400-ish for a basic paintjob. I would just paint them myself...keep in mind that there's a good chance this bike will go down on the track at some point. Also, you'll need an 06-08 style windscreen to go with these fairings. All of the race fairings (with the exception of SharkSkinz) use the 06-08 style screen. Grand total is at $2687-3037 depending what you choose for paint.

The last thing I would spend money on is a decent steering damper. I would suggest a Scott's or a PitBull. Stay away from GPR, I've had problems with my V4 leaking oil even after being sent back to be rebuilt. One of those is going to set you back about $450. Grand total so far, $3087-3487 and you are on a pretty damn capable track/race bike. If this is going to be a track only bike, you could recover a pretty good chunk of that by selling off your stock fairings, headlights, turn signals, etc.

Your stock rearsets aren't going to drag. The 675 sits a tad higher than other 600's and the rearsets are already in a pretty aggressive position. If you're dragging them, you're doing it wrong and you're about to crash. The stock clip-ons are perfectly fine too. The only advantage to aftermarket clip-ons is they're easier to change out if you crash and break one. Stock clip-ons are super cheap though. Same with rearsets. If that $5K is really burning a hole in your pocket they would probably be the next thing I'd add, followed by some case covers like the ones GBR offers. Last, do a 520 chain conversion and go down to a 15T front sprocket while you're at it.

If you have any questions about the bike I'd be glad to help. Suspension setup, etc. I've been tracking/racing a 675 for a few years now, and I think I've owned in the neighborhood of 10-12 different 675's. Heck, half of the 675's on this board were mine at one point, lol.

And last...like everyone else mentioned spend the most money on track time. It will make you faster than all these other mods combined.

Edited by TRMN8TR
  • Upvote 1

So much mis-information in this thread I don't even know where to start but I'll give it a shot...

A full exhaust along with a race air filter like a BMC are as far as I would go with performance mods, they will net you some pretty noticeable gains. I went from 105 to 118 hp with a proper tune, and saw gains of over 20 hp in the midrange. Tuning this bike COULDN'T BE EASIER!!!!!!! There is FREE software called TuneECU that will write directly to the ECU. No need to spend money on a piggy back system like a TuneBoy, PowerCommander, Bazzaz, etc. Also, a well known 675 tuner who will tune with TuneECU is right here in Bucyrus, OH. (Near Mid-O) Check out HordPower.com, he did a custom dyno tune on my bike and it cost me a measly $100. It's worth the drive no matter what part of OH you're from. So, with a full exhaust, race filter and a tune, you're in for about $2K with $3K left to spend.

Next thing I would address is braking. The bike already has pretty decent Brembo calipers and master cylinder on it and already has braided lines. The only upgrade I would consider is the rotors. The 675R is known to have a small amount of shudder under HEAVY braking. Solution...full floating rotors. $500 for a set. Or...try these. https://tpoparts.com/cat093/index.php?route=product/product&path=52_56&product_id=225 Lots of people on the Triumph forums have used them with great success, they convert your semi-floating rotors into full floating rotors. You'll need 20 to do both rotors, $132 instead of $500. If you use the buttons, you're at a grand total of $2132 spent.

Next, buy some track bodywork for it. I would recommend Optimal Racing fairings. $455 shipped, I've had them on one of my older 675's and Jbot has them on his. They're pretty decent fit and finish. Paint them yourself for $50 or spend $400-ish for a basic paintjob. I would just paint them myself...keep in mind that there's a good chance this bike will go down on the track at some point. Also, you'll need an 06-08 style windscreen to go with these fairings. All of the race fairings (with the exception of SharkSkinz) use the 06-08 style screen. Grand total is at $2687-3037 depending what you choose for paint.

The last thing I would spend money on is a decent steering damper. I would suggest a Scott's or a PitBull. Stay away from GPR, I've had problems with my V4 leaking oil even after being sent back to be rebuilt. One of those is going to set you back about $450. Grand total so far, $3087-3487 and you are on a pretty damn capable track/race bike. If this is going to be a track only bike, you could recover a pretty good chunk of that by selling off your stock fairings, headlights, turn signals, etc.

Your stock rearsets aren't going to drag. The 675 sits a tad higher than other 600's and the rearsets are already in a pretty aggressive position. If you're dragging them, you're doing it wrong and you're about to crash. The stock clip-ons are perfectly fine too. The only advantage to aftermarket clip-ons is they're easier to change out if you crash and break one. Stock clip-ons are super cheap though. Same with rearsets. If that $5K is really burning a hole in your pocket they would probably be the next thing I'd add, followed by some case covers like the ones GBR offers. Last, do a 520 chain conversion and go down to a 15T front sprocket while you're at it.

If you have any questions about the bike I'd be glad to help. Suspension setup, etc. I've been tracking/racing a 675 for a few years now, and I think I've owned in the neighborhood of 10-12 different 675's. Heck, half of the 675's on this board were mine at one point, lol.

And last...like everyone else mentioned spend the most money on track time. It will make you faster than all these other mods combined

Thanks to everyone for all the info.... I can actually say my head is overwhelmed now with more ideas than I know what to do with. As for the above, this is more than I expected and appreciated the detailed breakdown. Some great stuff thats for sure! You can expect more questions in the future.

Future plans: After reading all Ive decided to end the summer breaking in this bike then starting the track renovations in the winter....going to grab another bike for the streets next spring ;) There is much I still need to learn (which I'm not denying) but now for once I'm able to pursue such a sport and have the means to do so. Ill keep all posted through out this transformation. Thanks again

Blah Blah Blah

Yadda Yadda Yadda

Yawn Yawn

And last...like everyone else mentioned spend the most money on track time. It will make you faster than all these other mods combined.

Who asked you, you ride a scooter :)

I ride a scooter with shorts and sandals. That had to count for something.

I suppose that's better protection than no shoes and your tighty whiteys? But you have trunk on your scooter so it's acceptable.

Edited by TRMN8TR