Getting Work Done On My Car

Scruit

Interesting couple of days.

Took my car to the Subaru dealer (Byers/Billingsley) for them to check out a leaking valve cover gasket.  The H-4 engine has to be partially removed to replace the gasket so I wanted to see how much it's cost versus how much time it's take me.

They quoted me $265 for the one side which is fair enough.  THEN they told me they had accidentally quoted me the 2-hour Mazda rate for the work instead of the 3 hour Subaru rate. (~350)  They stood by the quote, though, which is great.

Took it to them this morning to get the work done, and at the end of the day I got a call with good news and bad news.  Good news is they saw the other valve cover gasket leaking and they replaced that for free (should have charged me ~350 per side = ~700).  Bad news is when they started the engine up after the work was completed they said oil started pouring out of both valve covers.  They need the car for another day to repeat all the work. I got a free loaner (2013 Legacy, nice car)

So, we'll see how things go tomorrow.  When I arrived to check out the car I saw there was a couple quarts of oil on the floor under the car, so they weren't kidding when they said oil was pouring out. 

So they kept it two days, but to get $700 worth of work done for $265 plus a free loaner...  Couldn't beat that deal with a stick...

goog thing it's not a mazda.

mazda's have been built pretty poor lately from what I see.  a buddy of mine had a 07 3 and it was in the shop several times for warranty work. even needed a  new rack and pinion.  and it was going out again when he sold it.

Edited by serpentracer

Props to the dealer for coming clean, making things right, and taking care of you. But the story just urks me to try and understand how a certified tech could farg up both valve cover gaskets? Did he simply fail to torque the covers back down before starting the car?

Edited by Hellmutt

Ive had good experiences with their service and parts departments as well.

Sales on the other hand, well, they seemed to be under the delusion the wrx's on their lot were some kind of supercar. No test drives on these tarted up econoboxes without a written commitment to buy, really?

Props to the dealer for coming clean, making things right, and taking care of you. But the story just urks me to try and understand how a certified tech could farg up both valve cover gaskets? Did he simply fail to torque the covers back down before starting the car?

They think the new gaskets are bad.  They are trying new gaskets (they were working late when I got there)

If it's not the gaskets then it's something else that they did as I brought the car in with this:

100_0405.jpg

Just a seep/drip onto the exhaust.  Maybe 2 or 3 drips after my 25min commute.  Whereas they ran it and spewed 2 quarts of oil onto the floor.  I hope I get a full cleaning of the engine too, that stuff's gonna stink to high heaven.

Edited by Scruit

Ive had good experiences with their service and parts departments as well.

Sales on the other hand, well, they seemed to be under the delusion the wrx's on their lot were some kind of supercar. No test drives on these tarted up econoboxes without a written commitment to buy, really?

I understand them wanting to keep people from running up the miles with zero intent to buy - but it's not like they can force you to buy it.  I wonder how else they could keep the riff-raff away.

I DID notice the WRX STi they have on-site has a $4k "Availability Surcharge".  Whut??  That makes it a $42k car.

They think the new gaskets are bad.  They are trying new gaskets (they were working late when I got there) Just a seep/drip onto the exhaust.  Maybe 2 or 3 drips after my 25min commute.  Whereas they ran it and spewed 2 quarts of oil onto the floor.  I hope I get a full cleaning of the engine too, that stuff's gonna stink to high heaven.

They'll most likely steamwash the engine after they're done, but staying late to finish the repair is killer customer service. Awesome they're going that far to keep you happy, especially with rework/overtime crushing the profits ( if any at this point )

I'd be sure to keep them at the top of your list when you need work done again

I expect they're losing a bunch of money on this work at this point.  Still, if they get it all sorted out then I'll be happy.  An extra day without my car would suck if I'd rented a Cobalt or Malibu but a 2013 Legacy is a nice loaner.

I looked at the Sti's and the north of 40K price tag make me look at and purchase a used, cerified 2011 Legacy ( my first Subaru.

Good on dealer that they provided a loaner car and kept up communication with you.

I am also not sure how a gasket change could lead to a major leak. Maybe they over torqued the bolts and cracked the valve covers? if that is even possible on the covers.

On a side note, I am due for a spark plug change on my 2.5 non-turbo engine, looks like a tight fit for the engine inside the engine bay.

I looked at the Sti's and the north of 40K price tag make me look at and purchase a used, cerified 2011 Legacy ( my first Subaru.

Good on dealer that they provided a loaner car and kept up communication with you.

I am also not sure how a gasket change could lead to a major leak. Maybe they over torqued the bolts and cracked the valve covers? if that is even possible on the covers.

On a side note, I am due for a spark plug change on my 2.5 non-turbo engine, looks like a tight fit for the engine inside the engine bay.

I did my own spark plugs.  Just need to be creative when it comes to getting the coil packs off.  Some needs to be spun upside down etc.  Especially driver-side front.

Update:  They got my car finished up this morning.  It was only one valve cove that was leaking after the work was done, and that was because the gasket slipped out of place and got pinched.  They got it all sorted out, cleaned up the oil (well, 95%, still get a whiff every now and then but it'll burn off)

They also apparently waived the $100 diagnosis fee from monday (I asked them to verify the PCV system and turbo were good) because that line item is gone from my invoice here.

So they did BOTH valve cover gaskets and rental for $286 out-the-door.  I should have paid around $800 for that.

I actually feel guilty getting a deal this good.  Well, not too guilty... But I know they lost their shirt on this invoice.  I'm a regular there and they'll make it back up in future business.

I also asked about the "commitment to purchase" when test driving the STi.  Basically, they want you to prove that you are serious and not just joyriding.  You are not promising to buy (as the test drive may not go well for you) but they are aggressively weeding out the tire-kickers.   I didn't see the form or read the specific wording, but I was given examples of people who have been denied/allowed, and it's simply a case of only allowing serious buyers who have the financial means and the actual motivation to close a sale if they like the car.  

One guy brought his 17yo kid to look at cars for the kid and they requested a test drive of the STi but the father let it slip that there's no way he'd buy it.  Test drive denied. 

I expect they're losing a bunch of money on this work at this point.  Still, if they get it all sorted out then I'll be happy.  An extra day without my car would suck if I'd rented a Cobalt or Malibu but a 2013 Legacy is a nice loaner.

Update:  They got my car finished up this morning.  It was only one valve cove that was leaking after the work was done, and that was because the gasket slipped out of place and got pinched.  They got it all sorted out, cleaned up the oil (well, 95%, still get a whiff every now and then but it'll burn off)

They also apparently waived the $100 diagnosis fee from monday (I asked them to verify the PCV system and turbo were good) because that line item is gone from my invoice here.

So they did BOTH valve cover gaskets and rental for $286 out-the-door.  I should have paid around $800 for that.

I actually feel guilty getting a deal this good.  Well, not too guilty... But I know they lost their shirt on this invoice.  I'm a regular there and they'll make it back up in future business.

I'm pretty sure that "THEY" aren't losing much money.  The technician that screwed it up is the one that's losing the most.  Well, that is unless they pay by the hour, instead of flat rate, which I highly doubt.  

That's not the issue, the issue is that they took good care of you in this situation, and you don't always get that