I'm Done Donating To The Red Cross

chevysoldier

Well I used to work in the ICU for children and ran a heart lung machine called ECMO. The pump alone can hold 2-4 units of packed red blood cells, Platelets and Albumin. Some babies can go through a lot of blood quickly. I'm always very thankful to the people that donate and we always made sure we didn't waste the blood we got. Also it doesn't last that long and always needs to be available.

Just think, children that are receiving chemo may need blood transfusions or platelets every week or more and these are the healthy ones. The sick ones like the ones I used to see might receive blood two or three times a day.

So for all those who donate I thank you and my last motorcycle accident I almost needed blood. My Hct was very low but I was asymptomatic. Lets just hope we have enough people that do donate and don't get pissy when they call.

As far as the donation of blood and the red cross charging please.... Ever wonder how much it costs to draw it, separate the blood components, test it, store it, ship it, and to be insured. Those people in their white lab coats aren't cheap.

My thoughts exactly. They don't transfer straight blood to people. That stuff has to be cleaned out and separated. I can't donate blood other wise I would. I am surprised how many people on here are oposed to it considering they might need it if they ever get in a motorcycle accident.

on my android, i dont even need an app. i can block numbers through they system settings.

or, you can just set the ringtone for their number as silent or no ring tone. there ya go, problem solved. easy peasy.

that assumes they call from the same number all the time, but if they use a different one, then you're gonna have trouble blocking anyway.

My thoughts exactly. They don't transfer straight blood to people. That stuff has to be cleaned out and separated. I can't donate blood other wise I would. I am surprised how many people on here are oposed to it considering they might need it if they ever get in a motorcycle accident.

Thanks for sparing us from your super aids

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

For those who don't donate, that's your prerogative, but take this short time to listen to my story.

My twin brother passed away in a motorcycle accident because he lost too much blood and they didn't have enough to support him.

It takes 2 hours out of your day to donate. Even if people just donated once a year, it would save so many lives, so other families didn't have to go through a loss because they didn't have enough blood to help their family member.

I can't tell you how many nights I sat up depressed because in college when I needed extra cash I donated plasma. I would have gladly donated 1000% of the money back to have gone back in time and donated blood instead, in hopes that it would have kept my brother alive.

It's easy to sit behind a computer and bash the red cross and how you wouldn't donate, but I assure you, you'd sit back and wish you had if you have went through anything like I did.

I ask you all who refuse to donate, to at least suck it up and try once a year. You never know how much it could come back to you in a dire situation. 

OP, I understand your situation, and I can  understand your frustration and I thank you for all the donations you and your wife made. I plead to you to find a new donor place to continue to donate.

I can assure you, most would think differently if they had to go through the nightmare I went through.

Which would make sense if the red cross payed your charity forward and gave the shit out, but they profit millions of dollars from it. I'm all for altruism, but not when the middleman is taking a cut.

The Red Cross is a non-profit organization. They make zero profit off your blood.

And yes I'm aware they pay their top executives an exorbitant amount of money, but I have no issues with people who run charitable organizations to be compensated well for their generosity.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I used to donate to them as well but no more. After I found out they are not really a non-profit organization. I stopped answering their calls problem solved. Plus if you do your research and find out where the donations are going then it makes sense. Nothing against donating blood but I want to donate to place that actually cares about savings lives and not making a profit off of it.

I used to donate to them as well but no more. After I found out they are not really a non-profit organization. I stopped answering their calls problem solved. Plus if you do your research and find out where the donations are going then it makes sense. Nothing against donating blood but I want to donate to place that actually cares about savings lives and not making a profit off of it.

Sources for your info?  I'd be interested in knowing.

I volunteer with HFH. This red cross profit issue came up. The issue last year was more an office issue. I don't know the details but its not the organization its the people that can make it good or bad. They try to correct the bad. But like everything else you only here the negative never the good.

I too work a very odd schedule at Honda, so I respect the situation with annoying calls that use to wake me up until I employed a different solution. All businesses (doctor's offices, retail stores, Red Cross, even work itself!) get my home number that has ringer off 99% of the time. Only friends & family have my cell and there I have the 2nd defense: "Do not disturb" setting on iPhone.

Uninterrupted sleep is crucial...

why not get normal hour jobs?

my first job was 2nd shift.  from like 3 to 11.   I really liked it at first but grew tired of it in less than a year.  never will I do 2nd or 3rd.  I'd rather remain unemployed than take one

Edited by serpentracer
  • Downvote 1

^ sometimes its not a choice. If i wanted my job I had to work crazy shifts until on opened on days. Sometimes there is a really good incentive like 15% + $2 an hour. Some couples work different shifts so they can take care of their kids with out a sitter.

Edited by snot

I have no issues with people who run charitable organizations to be compensated well for their generosity.

Dafuq? You need to reexamine your definition of charity. It means to give something away for free to someone who needs it. True charity is never compensated, as a truly charitable person would refuse compensation. There is another word for compensated charity tho, its called COMMERCE.

• Upvote 1

Red cross executive pay totals $277 million dollars.

http://www.businessinsider.com/executive-compensation-at-the-red-cross-2012-11

Red cross jacks up blood prices to help pay off $300m debt.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117431&page=1

How does a business with an annual operating budget of$1.7B do this? Maybe the execs are a tad overpaid if they cant balance a checkbook? But its ok, pass the buck down to the people dying in hospitals.

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher

I too work a very odd schedule at Honda, so I respect the situation with annoying calls that use to wake me up until I employed a different solution. All businesses (doctor's offices, retail stores, Red Cross, even work itself!) get my home number that has ringer off 99% of the time. Only friends & family have my cell and there I have the 2nd defense: "Do not disturb" setting on iPhone.

Uninterrupted sleep is crucial...

No home phone. I've not had 8 hours uninterrupted sleep regularly for quite some time. I'm either dealing with working early or late, having court during the middle of when I'm normally sleep, having to send my daughter to our from school, etc. It gets old fast. And if my wife is working or kid is at school, my phone stays on. My wife is a cop so I don't want to miss an important call...

why not get normal hour jobs?

my first job was 2nd shift. from like 3 to 11. I really liked it at first but grew tired of it in less than a year. never will I do 2nd or 3rd. I'd rather remain unemployed than take one

First, no ability to get a different shift where I'm at. Plus I have great benefits. I also get to work with my wife 3 days a week. I also don't have to pay for child care because one or both of us are off while my daughter isn't in school. I live 7 minutes from work. It's a good situation for many reasons.

So, here's something I don't know: Are there other places to donate blood?  I have legitimately not donated because my 2 experiences with red cross were literally 4 months of nerve damage and the other was watching blood do a small spraying movement out of my roommates arm...... yah, so I feel sick thinking about this. 

What I'm getting at, are there more compitent people to effectively remove my blood?