3/4 Length Anyone?

RSparky

I'm thinking hard about getting a new jacket for cold weather riding. my perforated leather just isn't cutting it.

I like the butt coverage of 3/4 and the ones with double zippers would alleviate bunching in my lap.

The one I've been eyeing is the alpinestars koln. Anyone have experience with this jacket or others like it? Thoughts? prices? I do like saving money but I do want a good jacket.

I have a M2R 3/4 length freeway jacket with a removable thermo liner its good down to about 35 deg. It's also water proof. I picked it up at the pony 4 years ago for $30 in the clearance area, one of the best purchases I've ever made. As far as gloves I have a pair of winter work gloves I picked up at TSC for about $20

sent via GS3

Edited by 2talltim

I like the 3/4 length jackets for the pockets and coverage (Im tall so regular jackets barely cover my belt) however I dont think they are significantly warmer.

Heated gear is where its at. Gloves first then jacket or vest. Much less bulk than insulation and all day comfort in cold temps. 

Craig

I plunked on a rev'it horizon. It has the insulation, expandability for layering or heated vest, butt warming length, comfy collar, and only one liner to fiddle with. I read the ventilation is better than most with waterproofing laminated in, and I look forward to the 3 mesh. Next check, I'll be buying the pants to go with.

The main advantage to a 3/4ths jacket is that it helps to reduce the warm air sucked out the back.  A one-piece obviously helps to eliminate that, but I've also had luck with one-piece base layer like this.  You'll also want to plug up the neck area with a neck guard of some sort.

Neck guard looks nice. I wore a balaclava in years past. It worked pretty well behind a double bubble screen. I just don't want my gear to take a while to put on and off, so the one piece is out of the question. I usually get to work with 5 minutes to spare. Depending on this jacket, heated liner may be the best option. I remember my knees actually getting the coldest when I wore my textile. (before I wrecked it) that would of course be solved with the matching pants. Hmmm...