Sad News. Condolences To Friends & Family.

TopLeft

My old neighborhood back in high school. Straight road. Must have been a collision at the intersection.

edit: yup, check the photo. SUV turned left in front of the bike.

Edited by ReconRat

I cant stand seeing crap like this, it kills me inside to know that no matter how many precautions a rider takes and how safe anybody rides - sometimes it's the other driver and u cant control what other idiots may do. My heart goes out to this persons family.

Everyone should know that 2/3 of all deaths are caused by car turning left. Or damn close to that percentage. Be especially vigilant at intersections.

The last stats I read from national highway & safety, it is thee number killer of motorcyclists, cars turning left in front of bikers.

the degrees that visibility, speed etc take a toll on that actual stat vary, but #1 killer are cars turning left. 

NO charges have been filed yet? they released the name today. they need to seize her cell phone for starters..."she was visibly shaken" she should be, she just killed someone due to her negligence (unless they find the biker was going 30 over the limit)

but I bet she just was on the phone, and pulled out in front of her. bikes still have lights, all you have to do is......LOOK

Catresa R. Lytle, 43, of Blacklick, was killed when she collided with a 2008 Chevrolet SUV driven by Nicole Staley, 31, that was making a left turn from southbound McNaughten Road onto Baskerville Drive, according to a Columbus police news release.

Lytle was traveling north on McNaughten when she struck the passenger side of the SUV, throwing her from the Yamaha motorcycle.

ah, I see......"when Ltyle struck", clearly her fautl...more idiot reporting.  "motorcycle impacted passenger side" better reporting...

Is why I ride straight at a car waiting to turn in front of me.

Either I see they see me, or they move.

They move, I'm going behind them, quickly

Yeah, I slow for traffic that is turning.

One of the road tricks is watch the front wheels of cars.

If that wheel turns toward you, it's intent to turn or change lanes.

Move, get out of the way.

Note that quick manuvering in traffic requires knowing where all traffic is around you.

You might want to move fast without looking first.

An old stat said that a motorcycle has a good 4 seconds of awareness before impact.

In 4 seconds a motorcycle can slow and/or maneuver around the collision.

Stats also say most riders do absolutely nothing before impact.

They freeze or never notice the threat.

• Upvote 2

I watch the front tires of cars sitting on side roads.  I also try to always have a path scoped out to get out of the way.  If there is movement I react.  But like someone previously said, sometimes shit happens and you cannot get out of the way. 

RIP rider.....

@ recon. True.

I wonder how many get that, whats it called, where you ride into what you're staring at, instead of staring at your escape path?

target fixation

Many do that. I've target fixed before. My best responses were where I saw the problem, and didn't look at it again. Concentrating on a prefered path fo escape. If you target fix, you better have some darn good brakes and not have been going very fast.

I admit that riding in city traffic, I will try to see all opportunities of safe passage. As traffic gets crowded or squirrelly, I'l slow to keep those escape pathes available. Yeah, I've turned or pulled off the road before. Even jumped curbs up onto sidewalks and stopped. (Jumping curbs takes practice.) Trouble is trouble. Again I say, smooth is the way to go. Most of the time, anyway.

Seriously, I think most sport bikes will go sideways as quickly as forward. I think a bike can go forty feet to the left in forty feet of forward travel. Hopefully that area is clear, since speed didn't reduce, and inertia winds up when doing that, and has to release, usually by coming back to the original line of travel. Or going sideways a few times. You see inertia in car races, where a car suddenly changes lanes to escape. The car will wobble a bit, and then start to spin. The inertia didn't release.

You see inertia in car races, where a car suddenly changes lanes to escape. The car will wobble a bit, and then start to spin. The inertia didn't release.

You can prevent that by hitting the gas as you straighten out and put weight on the back tires - that's where it's needed.  Sudden lane change plus hitting the brakes as you straighten out is a recipe for disaster in a car.

Less of a problem on a bike, but the faster the bike goes the harder it is to swerve.

And don't forget - twice as fast is four times as painful.

Young woman driver + child in car + SUV = recipe for disaster.  They're either distracted, think they own the road, or don't care.  Of all the near misses I've had this year, 90% fit the aforementioned profile.

RIP to a rider that was probably doing nothing more than enjoying their ride...   :nono:

Motorcycles are dangerous. It's part of the appeal to me.

Just like teabagging a wombat.    If you're lucky you'll be fine.  Otherwise you'll be following it around with a pooper scooper for the next 24-36 hours hoping it craps out something you can re-attach.

• Upvote 1

RIP rider. My friend lives 100m from that intersection so glad it wasn't him.

I also ride thinking that everyone is out to kill me at every point they can. Also, if the person that cut me off/merged into me/attempted to run me over is sharing a stoplight with me shortly after the incident I take the time to scream at them. I figure if I can add a little trauma in the form of a Campaign Hat beratement to their day maybe they will remember to look next time.

Until those murdering our brothers and sisters are charged with murder, not manslaughter, sent to jail and forced to pay back the family 5 years of wages, this is going to continue.

It isn't murder. Murder (Or Voluntary Manslaughter) requires intent of some form or another. Involuntary Manslaughter is more than a slap on the wrist, but still a lighter charge.

Civil courts can handle the back pay and other damages fine if people are willing to file and fight for it.

Changing the laws won't fix anything. People ignore them anyways. Unless you can eliminate all people that don't put driving as their priority when on the road, the problem will always be there. That will likely never happen. Sadly most people only truely learn after a traumatic experience cements it in their brain.

Ride very defensively with a huge safety bubble and plan for people to try and run you over at every intersection. Defensive riding and looking forward are the best defense.

Another thing to consider is that most of the time stopping in a straight line will not avoid the collision, whereas a swerve will avoid or mitigate it.

Edited by BDBGoalie

It isn't murder. Murder (Or Voluntary Manslaughter) requires intent of some form or another. Involuntary Manslaughter is more than a slap on the wrist, but still a lighter charge.

Civil courts can handle the back pay and other damages fine if people are willing to file and fight for it.

Changing the laws won't fix anything. People ignore them anyways. Unless you can eliminate all people that don't put driving as their priority when on the road, the problem will always be there. That will likely never happen. Sadly most people only truely learn after a traumatic experience cements it in their brain.

Ride very defensively with a huge safety bubble and plan for people to try and run you over at every intersection. Defensive riding and looking forward are the best defense.

Another thing to consider is that most of the time stopping in a straight line will not avoid the collision, whereas a swerve will avoid or mitigate it.

twas sarcasm. I either ride in front or behind a group of cars. I turn my high beam on at intersections. I constantly have a new escape plan and always think if I do this, what could happen. Riding on the street is dangerous and the only safe way to ride is on the track. But I would not give up riding on the streets for anything. Accidents do happen even when paying full attentiom.

http://www.10tvtogo.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=40&nid=1091938576&cid=21017&scid=-1&ith=2&title=Local+News&headtitle=Local+News

Police said it was unclear if alcohol played a role in the crash or if the driver of the SUV would face charges.

unclear?? how the hell is that 'unclear'?

its not murder, but its sure as hell manslaughter.