Help Me Buy And Install A Laptop Hard Drive

Bad324

This. If you have another pc with a spare SATA port, you can connect it to that and see if it is detected. If not, then it is DOA. If it is detected, then there is an issue with the motherboard/SATA cable/SATA port on the laptop you're fixing.

Also, that drive should be compatible with that laptop. SATA drives are designed to be backwards compatible.

Cleave brings up a very important point. What was the original problem that made you replace the HD?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cleave brings up a very important point. What was the original problem that made you replace the HD?

In the first couple posts I think I put a picture of the error I was getting. When we tried to reinstall windows, it would get through that setup then blue screen. Same as the new HD

sigh, it is not the drive.  It is the sata controller on the laptop.  It is not natively supported by windows. Go to the MFG website.  find the boot driver and have it ready.  During the install you will have to hit the key to load a custom storage drive, point it to the driver and should be fine.  Me personally I would use clonezilla and clone my already working OS to a larger drive. 

Well everyone I thank you for your help but looks like a new computer is on the horizon for me!

With mine going down and my boss having the same one he is taking the opportunity to try and get 2 or 3 new one together at a discount. I might try to revisit fixing this old one at some point still though

that computer is way too new to be running xp anyway.  vista probably came on that new. it's no wonder you're having a hard time installing windows.  1/2 of the drivers are missing more than likely thanks to the way dell likes to do their shit.  which is why any real computer person never buys dells.

Edited by serpentracer

that computer is way too new to be running xp anyway. vista probably came on that new. it's no wonder you're having a hard time installing windows. 1/2 of the drivers are missing more than likely thanks to the way dell likes to do their shit. which is why any real computer person never buys dells.

When we ordered them new in jan '09 we had the option of Vista or XP loaded straight from Dell. My mom has a laptop with Vista and I wanted absolutely nothing to do with Vista so opted for XP

If I had a choice I would not have gotten another dell but we get discounts and don't have to pay for 90 days which at the current time is a much needed perk

I got a LOL out of the Dell comment....my work laptop is a POS Dell (chosen by IT) and it is on the third HDD in just over a year with the same issues as the last two so it's only a matter of time before it goes dead.  

I remember when dell used to make their power supplies in the desktops different than every other manufacture in the world.  what cluster fuck they created.  if you had one you were the exception for things but they didn't tell you this until you blew shit up with it because all the wire colors were different than every other power supply made.

Edited by serpentracer

This will be my 3rd Dell laptop since 2003. I don't hate them but I certainly don't love them. If I had to use my own personal money though no way i'd go Dell still. But so long as I have a working computer I don't have to pay for I'm not gonna complain too much lol