More Freeway Fun

Scruit

Sorry but I'm gonna have to call a douche move on your part. At 2 sec you start your lane change...she has turn signal on...at 3 seconds your in the other lane....at 4 seconds she is coming over. As fast as that happened you were probably still in the other lane when she did a mirror check. You should have read that turn signal better. You should know by now if someone does use a turn signal it does not mean let me over. It means look out I'm coming over. If she would not have been using her signal you may have a legal bitch. Basically you were not in that lane when she did,if she did a mirror check so she thought the coast was clear.

Edited by Al Z. Heimer
  • Upvote 1

Sorry, I disagree... It is the job of the person moving into another lane to check to see if someone else is there. At the time he moved into the lane, and she was not there... She as such should/would be at fault for merging into him. Now, that is not to say that she is in a car and he is on a bike and as such, he should be thinking multiple steps ahead and just stayed where he was. She did have her blinkers on... That does not mean she is by default, owner of that spot. 1st come - 1st served. He shouldn't have merged and since he did... She should have been watching.

Having your blinker on does not ENTITLE you to your desired lane. It is the RESPONSIBILITY of the driver to assure that a lane is clear prior to changing. Slower traffic should assume that as they merge left, the speed of the vehicles in the lane will be higher. To me it looks like she glanced in her mirror and switched, most likely without ever noticing our limey friend existed.

Yea that could have been either or even both of your faults. I'm sure she looked once maybe even twice but at the rate you closed the gap and last min maneuver I can see how you were not seen.

sent via GS3

Look at my speed compared to the vehicles in my lane.  I was going with the flow, not tailgating or passing on the right.  Her lane was slower than the speed limit due to the semi in front of her.  We had just passed a double-lane on ramp where a large number of vehicles are signalling left to get into the lane she is leaving, so until the move happens you can't tell if you've caught them at the beginning of the lane change or at the end.

Sorry but I'm gonna have to call a douche move on your part. At 2 sec you start your lane change...she has turn signal on...at 3 seconds your in the other lane....at 4 seconds she is coming over. As fast as that happened you were probably still in the other lane when she did a mirror check. You should have read that turn signal better. You should know by now if someone does use a turn signal it does not mean let me over. It means look out I'm coming over. If she would not have been using her signal you may have a legal bitch. Basically you were not in that lane when she did,if she did a mirror check so she thought the coast was clear.

I had been signalling for a few seconds before then - I always do two shoulder checks.  My lane change took one second?  How long should it take? 

I am fully in the lane before she starts her lane change.  Is there a time period that I must be in the lane before she can no longer run me out of it with impunity?

In dense traffic like that (where there is a row of slower cars adjacent to the lane that you want to switch into) what would your approach be?

I live in northeast Columbus and have driven/ridden that segment at least once a week for more than 20 years.  You come to expect especially during the rush hours, that drivers will merge right AND left from the 23 interchange to load up to the right for the 71 ramp, stage up for Cleveland Avenue in a middle lane or go completely left to stay on 270 east.  At that point drivers are still working out their lane positions from the 315 ramp just prior to 23.  Both 315 and 23 are active and stressful, so it cranks up drivers and makes them act less predictably.  My daughter hates to drive that stretch and I don't blame her one bit.

My approach is to be predictable and gradual and to anticipate that people will suddenly shift lanes at any point up until Cleveland Ave.  It looks like you did the opposite and were making use of your maneuverability and acceleration to slip past slower movers.  Unfortunately when you zigged right, out of a 270 east "passing" lane towards a row stacking up for 71, it was faster than the car on the right expected, who was avoiding the silver van ahead of her (it was slowing to make a right into the 71 south ramp lane).  If you saw her signal prior to taking the lane, I bet you made the gamble that you'd either get past her before she completed the change, or that she'd see you and postpone her move and you'd be that much closer to the ramp's entry.  You yourself probably didn't see the silver van situation developing, gambled wrong and she continued her lane change, probably never seeing you fill the void until you were past her fender.

So who's right?  Ultimately the heavier vehicle would win(!), but I'd say that although she could have been looking better all the way to the moment of the change, she was in the process of avoiding that silver van ahead of her and was moving to a previously clear lane to the left for safety.  You filled that void, cutting off her "out" at the last minute and compressing an already tricky stretch.

When will the law change to let us shoot bad drivers' cars with paintballs full of paintstripper?

Regardless of who is at fault here, you got to try and be better about protecting yourself. The law doesn't matter if you aren't around to defend yourself. In that dense traffic if you go down, your risk of being hit and ran over by another car is very high.

Instead of staring down the person moving into your lane, you should have been focusing on where you should go to clear yourself and avoid the accident. You target fixated on the car moving over which kept you in the exact spot you almost didn't want to be.

Ride as though no one sees you and always keep escape options open. Ride safe!

I don't understand you people that commute on motorcycles then continually bitch about how shitty other drivers are. It's Ohio, most people can't drive worth a damn no matter what kind of vehicle they are in. Deal with it and move on just doing the best you can to protect yourself.

I could have told you before the video clip started she was goin to want over. Why put yourself in that situation in the first place?

Sorry, Scruit...  She would have won the pushing match and you most likely would end up bumper pizza from someone behind you.

That's part of my commute route home from Riverside Hospital, but only before 3 p.m. or after 6:30 p.m.  And when I do come thru there, as soon as I get on 270 from 315 I am in full huckabuck mode to the far left lane and I stay there past 71.

By the shadows, I'd say you were coming thru there shortly after lunch, so traffic isn't as bad as it gets.  But still, stay in the left two lanes coming thru there...

A lot of people here assuming that I saw her signal.  I didn't see if before changing lanes - I was splitting my attention between checking to make sure nobody was coming up behind me in the lane i wanted, and directly ahead to make sure I wasn't going to rear-end anyone.  It's easy to see all the extra detail when looking at a 1080p video over and over - bear in mind I only had a second to see her signal.

I don't think there is a "good" way to make this lane change.  You either switch quickly between cars and establish yourself in the lane like I did...   Or you switch slowly and find yourself changing lane *next to* multiple cars which is a disaster waiting to happen.  Or you slow down your entire lane of traffic to match pace with the people who are two lanes over than you so you can merge into the lane in a "space" (ie not next to someone in the next lane over)

The answer is for everyone to stay in their lane until it's safe to move - and to keep looking once you begin changing lanes.

From a "biker always loses" perspective - and remembering that i didn't see her signal as my sightline to her turn signal was blocked by the white SUV until after I started my lane change - what is the safest way to make this lane change?  

I'm just unsure how one does not assume she is goin to move in to that lane judging what is ahead of her. But then again I guess it is hard for me to understand a lot of people's driving IQ when I'm just that far ahead of everyone else

:D

I'm just unsure how one does not assume she is goin to move in to that lane judging what is ahead of her. But then again I guess it is hard for me to understand a lot of people's driving IQ when I'm just that far ahead of everyone else

:D

About 33% of the folk in that lane are going to move left, 33% are going to move right, and the remaining 34% are going to stay put.

Of those signalling, 50% are signalling because they are about to move.  49% are signalling because they are completing, or have just completed, their lane change.  1% just left the signal on.

I never move right through there, unless exiting. I move left and stay out of the way.

More intense when trying to merge left into that cluster with a bike. Like from 71S to 270E.

Problem is I need to exit on 71.  I need to cross the churning traffic - even though it feels like a game of frogger sometimes.  I stay left past 23, then make my way right for 71.

I don't want to be in the back of the slow traffic because I don't want to get rear-ended at freeway speeds.  I think from now I'll wait until much closer to 71 to make my way across.  By that time most of the chinese fire drill crap is done with and people aren't so quick to switch lanes.

Am I the only one would would never even think about using my horn in that situation?

If I missed the signal and saw a car start to veer into my lane I've always moved over to the left of the lane and made a split second choice between rolling on the gas or brakes.  If there is enough time, a quick glance and lane change to avoid having to change speeds.

Staying in the center of the lane and laying on the horn is just begging for the driver to crank their head back to see the noise, and drag the wheel with it.  Horns are for cages when your only option is alerting the other driver because you have no other choice....on a bike you have the visibility, maneuverability and the power to weight ratio to get out of that situation WAY faster than that other driver can react to the sound of your horn.

• Upvote 1