Why Does Osu Need An Armored Vehicle!?

Casper

Still makes absolutely zero sense. How many OSU cops have been killed by IEDs or land mines? Even during the riots, how many officers were killed or even wounded? How is this justified? Are people just so brainwashed at this point that everyone sees it as acceptable to have an armored military vehicle owned by a university police department?

• Upvote 1

Still makes absolutely zero sense. How many OSU cops have been killed by IEDs or land mines? Even during the riots, how many officers were killed or even wounded? How is this justified? Are people just so brainwashed at this point that everyone sees it as acceptable to have an armored military vehicle owned by a university police department?

Intimidation, plain and simple.

To play devil's advocate...

Does "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" only apply to firearms?  How many officers should be killed before you would find this to be a rational purchase?  How many explosive attacks should there be before it's necessary?

Plus I think it would be totally badass to watch that thing drag some cars out of illegal spots on game day.  The crown-vics, Impalas, Chargers, Explorers, and even the expeditions (if they still have those) aren't going to get that done!

Edited by redkow97
  • Upvote 1

Does "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it" only apply to firearms?  How many officers should be killed before you would find this to be a rational purchase?  How many explosive attacks should there be before it's necessary?

Plus I think it would be totally badass to watch that thing drag some cars out of illegal spots on game day.  The crown-vics, Impalas, Chargers, Explorers, and even the expeditions (if they still have those) aren't going to get that done!

Using that logic, wouldn't it have made more sense to issue potassium iodide to the student body and police forces? You know, just incase of a nuclear attack or fallout from a complete meltdown at Fukushima? Rather have it and not need it, right? And, it'd protect a lot more people than the number that can fit in that armored vehicle. 

• Upvote 1

I'd would think money would be the deciding factor.  Sure it was cheap enough to obtain, but maintenance on it would seem to be astronomical as would keeping fuel in it if and when it was used.  The actual 'need' is so ridiculous I just cannot see any real justification.

Edited by ohiomike
  • Upvote 1

One thing I will say is OSU is definitely NOT close to the best area's in Columbus.  Actually some of the worst are just east of campus and can easily be walked to.  I believe North has some pretty awesome area's too so in my opinion, it's like Redkow said; better to have and not need(especially when it was free), than need and not have.

Plus everyone knows that OSU is in the top 10 or less of suspected terrorist targets, so better to be prepared in the end. 

Using that logic, wouldn't it have made more sense to issue potassium iodide to the student body and police forces? You know, just incase of a nuclear attack or fallout from a complete meltdown at Fukushima? Rather have it and not need it, right? And, it'd protect a lot more people than the number that can fit in that armored vehicle. 

Funny you should use that example. I have potassium iodide tablets in my desk drawer at this very moment, courtesy of the Ohio Department of Health. 

Did they get an offer for a campus wide supply of potassium iodide for free?

My dad has a pipe wrench in his garage that is as tall as I am. usually it sits on the wall, but there have been occasions when it's come off the wall and been used for various things (most of which have nothing to do with assembling and disassembling pipes.)

If they use the truck for things that they would have had to buy a different truck for, it makes fiscal sense.

Edited by magley64

One thing I will say is OSU is definitely NOT close to the best area's in Columbus.  Actually some of the worst are just east of campus and can easily be walked to.  I believe North has some pretty awesome area's too so in my opinion, it's like Redkow said; better to have and not need(especially when it was free), than need and not have.

Plus everyone knows that OSU is in the top 10 or less of suspected terrorist targets, so better to be prepared in the end.

you talk about osu not being in the best area of columbus. I lived there at 11th and summit amd didnt feel the need to wear a flak jacket even though im kinda just a good ol redneck from nowhere. Also I dont see too many gang bangers using improvised explosive devices or carrying around rpg7s in columbus
  • Upvote 3

lol madcat makes it sound like OSU is adjacent to Fallujah or something...  

I think overall, it's just overgrown children wanting a toy.  OSU has no need for this thing at all, and no clue how they will use it. They just got it because they thought it was cool, and it didn't cost anything up front... Just wait till it needs service though. I'm sure its super cheap to work on.

Soon enough they will  make up some excuses about why they need this thing to deal with situations they previously dealt with just fine without one. They'll say something dumb like they need it to move trees or some crap... Oh wait...

Funny you should use that example. I have potassium iodide tablets in my desk drawer at this very moment, courtesy of the Ohio Department of Health.

Really? How did that come about? 

Did they get an offer for a campus wide supply of potassium iodide for free?

My dad has a pipe wrench in his garage that is as tall as I am. usually it sits on the wall, but there have been occasions when it's come off the wall and been used for various things (most of which have nothing to do with assembling and disassembling pipes.)

If they use the truck for things that they would have had to buy a different truck for, it makes fiscal sense.

First, the vehicle was free, but the paint job, maintenance, storage, fuel, etc are not free. The CDC says one dose of potassium iodide is usually sufficient to protect the thyroid (http://www.bt.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp), unless longer high exposure is possible. So let's say two tablets per person aged 18-40. You can buy a bottle at retail, 120 tablets for $10.59 (http://www.imedmart.com/Source-Naturals/Potassium-Iodide-32-5mg/23525.html?cmx=8X0D21&refx=FR00GX

). That's roughly $0.09 per tablet. One table is one dose, so let's say two tablets per person aged 18-40. That's $0.18 per person. I imagine a bulk, government order would be magnitudes cheaper, but we'll use MSRP/retail pricing. Autumn 2013 enrollment at OSU was 63,964 (http://www.osu.edu/osutoday/stuinfo.php). Let's assume a 25% staff/faculty/police/etc to student ratio, so a total of 79,955 people on campus needing two doses each. I'm not even taking into account the number of those who would be over 40. That comes to $14,391.90 (79,955 people times $0.18 for two doses). The average shelf life of potassium iodide tablets is seven years. So how much is being spent on the paint job, maintenance, storage, fuel, etc of the new armored vehicle? I'd bet it's more than $14,391.90 over the course of seven years. 

Autumn 2013 enrollment at OSU was 63,964 (http://www.osu.edu/osutoday/stuinfo.php). Let's assume a 25% staff/faculty/police/etc to student ratio, so a total of 79,955 people on campus needing two doses each. I'm not even taking into account the number of those who would be over 40. That comes to $14,391.90 (79,955 people times $0.18 for two doses). The average shelf life of potassium iodide tablets is seven years. So how much is being spent on the paint job, maintenance, storage, fuel, etc of the new armored vehicle? I'd bet it's more than $14,391.90 over the course of seven years. 

So in your example, do the seniors who graduate give their pills to the freshmen coming in the next year? if not, you need to multiply your 14,391 by at least 2....

Also the pills mentioned would only be useful for midrange exposure to radioactive materials. The truck is useful for much more. (Crowd control, Firefights, Pulling vegetation/ telephone polls off of roadways during and after storms, transportation of large/Bulky items, transportation of personnel, towing vehicles/machinery, SAR missions on flooded streets, snow removal, etc)

and I don't know if $40 a week, every week is what it costs to operate it as sparingly as they do....

No, I don't think I took it that far, I had friends living on campus for the past 12 years, since I was in HS and all through college.  I've stayed everyone from Iuka, to 17th, to the south end of campus by some church on High St.  Just saying that east of 4th/Summit is not a friendly place.  Surrounding the fairgrounds, Crew stadium, all of that is very high crime areas, just stating facts, nothing else.  Granted its not like it is around Childrens but probably close.

Definitely been in some hairy situations walking back from parties, or to/from games and parking etc.  Not saying I need an armored car to get there and back, but having the option, sure would be nice.

Like I said, better to have and not need then to need and not have.  Of course that's all based on them not dropping tons of cash in upkeep, etc.

Buying a new vehicle like this would be ridiculous for OSU.

Having a armored car as a show of force for crowd control or swat duty is not a bad idea.

Getting one cheap/free is a good deal even if it is over kill. 

Nearly every decent sized police force has a vehicle or 2 that is mostly for show, whether it is an antique parade vehicle or army surplus. 

What do you expect for maintenance costs on a seldom used diesel truck? Probably less than it costs for a cruiser, given the difference in mileage. 

Sure its over kill but its cool and the price was right.

Craig

Ben, that MRAP is called a MAXXPRO. Off the line assembled, no como gear, weapons add on (like a CROW system), these things are $575,000. The one in the pic's does not have the upgraded armor and independent suspension kit, saving $35,000. These trucks are usually $1.1-$1.6 million by the time they are geared up and used by the military. So, if OSU can get it for free, I say take it. Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. As for maintenance, there really isn't much to do for the environment it's in now. Worst part is a flat tire, each wheel is 300lbs. The motor is a Cummings C7 8 liter and everything is pretty easy to work on, once the armor is out of the way. Same with the Allison 3000 - 3500 series trans. It makes about 375hp and 1050ft tq, this thing will rip your house out of the ground and drive away with it.

It's not about if there are IED's here. It's about reusing excess equipment. 

FYI, anyone who is upset about this, it's because you know about it. Think about all the gear they don't tell you they have, that you wouldn't think they need. This truck is the least of your worries.