.308 Rifle Options.

baptizo

I've been thinking about getting another rifle and even though I've been hankering for an M1A for quite awhile the idea of getting an AR based .308 is still of interest.

Case in point, the Sig Sauer R716 Patrol Rifle - anyone have one or know of someone who has one with good feedback?

Sig-Sauer-716-Patrol-Rifle-308-%28R716-1

Sig-Sauer-716-Patrol-Rifle-308-%28R716-1

Edited by baptizo

I can tell you that my son's FNH FNAR 308 is freaking awesome.  Surprised FNH doesn't get more love, they make the best full sized semi auto 45 I have ever fired.

Agree! but they are pretty pricey and I think that is what throws people off.

But the FNAR isn't considered a battle rifle but was designed more as a specialized LE sniper platform, correct?

I too agree with that statement. That thing will REALLY reach out and touch someone after you drop some more dough on a scope.

The FNAR is hands-down the best semi auto rifle Ive ever used. It's going to be the next gun in my safe.

I love the simplicity and history of the M1a, but its basically a 70 year old design at the point.

Related, if anyone in Cbus is interested in a springfield M1A scout, about 10 mags, and about 3000 rounds of 308 at a highly inflated price, send me a PM.

The FNAR is hands-down the best semi auto rifle Ive ever used. It's going to be the next gun in my safe.

I love the simplicity and history of the M1a, but its basically a 70 year old design at the point.

Related, if anyone in Cbus is interested in a springfield M1A scout, about 10 mags, and about 3000 rounds of 308 at a highly inflated price, send me a PM.

Uh, your math is bad.  M-14 designed in 1954 so it's only a 59 year old design. :hello:  

Why not look into the FN-FAL as an option also.  Fantastic .308 caliber battle rifle, lots of history with multiple military's.  Not sure if the optics choices have gotten better over the years but when I had mine there was nothing inside 300yards that I couldn't hit with the standard iron sights.  It could have used a better stock but dammed those friggin politicians and their black rifle BS.

fal.jpg

The M1 Garand can be had in .308 also if you wanted another option.  And before anybody complains that you can't put good optics on a garand.  Yes you can, Eotechs work very nice on the old M1.

IMG_4099.jpg

Boy-o-boy, choices, choices with some really good input - thanks, guys!

I still haven't narrowed it down or committed to anything...mostly been checking out GB for anything of interest.  

The FNAR's are priced reasonably well on GB but there aren't that many FAL's on there - just one of interest within my price range.

One M1A is under $1,400 - a new standard - and the prices go up from there for standards and Socom's.  

The Sig is just under $1800 along with an Armalite, and DPMS at about the same price - the DPMS is decked out with lots of upgrades including a scope but that is not my idea of building something to your needs and expectations.  

There's also a POF 308 but it's over $2k....a bit more than I want to spend but they're well built rifles with a unique AR bolt setup.  

The other one of interest is a modified M1A with a SAGE stock for about the same price as the Sig and Armalite.

The FNAR is about as good as it gets out of the box in that price range, the big downside is mags are 45 each which was the deal breaker for me.

I've been wanting an m1a for a while now.

Welcome to big boy toys.. $45 is nothing for mags when talking about Large rifle calibers. Hell my magazines for my bolt rifles cost way more than that.. If $45 mag is too much, you may want to consider sticking with firearms you can afford to feed.

Boy-o-boy, choices, choices with some really good input - thanks, guys!

I still haven't narrowed it down or committed to anything...mostly been checking out GB for anything of interest.  

The FNAR's are priced reasonably well on GB but there aren't that many FAL's on there - just one of interest within my price range.

One M1A is under $1,400 - a new standard - and the prices go up from there for standards and Socom's.  

The Sig is just under $1800 along with an Armalite, and DPMS at about the same price - the DPMS is decked out with lots of upgrades including a scope but that is not my idea of building something to your needs and expectations.  

There's also a POF 308 but it's over $2k....a bit more than I want to spend but they're well built rifles with a unique AR bolt setup.  

The other one of interest is a modified M1A with a SAGE stock for about the same price as the Sig and Armalite.

The POF is very nice.. But when getting into that price range you can always consider a GAP.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

The POF is very nice.. But when getting into that price range you can always consider a GAP.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2013-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

Damn you Flounder! I have had this on my wish list for a while.

Damn you Flounder! I have had this on my wish list for a while.

Hurry up!!! you have about 24hrs left before they draw the winner at the Gap Grind this weekend.. Heres your chance.. I bought a few tix myself. 

http://prs.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCart.aspx?com=detailview&iid=7&&curid=1#.Ud9EiD5qI_Y.facebook

Edited by flounder

I have about a 1,000 rounds of 7.62x54r for my MN's but I'm staying the hell away from Russian crap....my AK is the biggest POS rifle I've ever bought....never again.

Thus my emphasis on American made battle rifles - right now it's between the tried and true M1A and the new Sig.   

I've been thinking about getting another rifle and even though I've been hankering for an M1A for quite awhile the idea of getting an AR based .308 is still of interest.

Case in point, the Sig Sauer R716 Patrol Rifle - anyone have one or know of someone who has one with good feedback?

What kind of shooting you looking to do with the rifle?

If it is just fun, paper punching, or anything that doesn't require rapid fire, I'd lean towards a 700 chambered in .308 (Or other .30 Cal options. .30-06, 300 WM...)

A Savage 10 chambered in 7.62x39 is a cheaper ammo alternative as well.

Bolt rifles are fun too.

In semi there is lots of options.

M1a is beauty of a classic battle rifle and a staple of any good collection. Unfortunately they arent too accurate out of the box so to be ablemto get them reliable beyond 300-400 yds plan to spend $$$.

There are some really affordable AR rifles out there in .308 that can be had for not too much dough. Have a look at DPMS SASS or an Armalite AR-10.

Welcome to big boy toys.. $45 is nothing for mags when talking about Large rifle calibers. Hell my magazines for my bolt rifles cost way more than that.. If $45 mag is too much, you may want to consider sticking with firearms you can afford to feed.

Just stating it'd be a lot to get about 15 of them since he's looking for a battle rifle. I like to have at least 10-15 mags sitting loaded for my BOB.