'91 Toyota 4x4 - Needs A New Home

JohnG

Decided this morning to find out what kind of interest there is for this.  I need something else in the jeep/truck/4x4 area...

This would make a good farm truck for someone, that's what I used it for mostly (and hunting/hauling stuff).

It's a 1991 Toyota 4x4 extended cab.  v6 automatic.  Motor's not bad and has around 175K miles on it.  Doesn't knock or smoke.  Trans is ok and the 4x4 works.  The body is rough, but doesn't have as much rot as you'd think, mainly the passenger door bottom and tailgate.  Has an aluminum cap on the back and a two inch receiver. Never been wrecked.  Interior is in good shape too.  Stock rims and road tires, but you still would have a hard time getting it stuck.  I got hung up in a field once, and the big JD 4x4 tractor that came to get me almost got stuck with me...

Currently has an idle issue when cold and the trans won't shift into overdrive until it gets good and warmed up.  Also needs front rotors.  

$1500 or reasonable offer from someone on here.  Could be tempted with a trade of comparable value but there's not much I need.  I'll post pics when I get home from work.

I'd have a yard full of them if the wife would let me.

This is exactly what I was looking for as a first car for my kid. Well, if it was a 5 speed.

When I bought this 7 years ago I was looking for another 4 cyl 5 speed...  I hate the automatic and the 6 cyl gets crappy mpg.  I've barely put 30K miles on it.

The 22RE is a great motor as long as you change the timing chain, water and oil pump every 100k. It's drawbacks though are no power and it only gets about 18-20 with 31" tires, which are a must.

My '92 had 31's and I could regularly coax 24 mpg out of it, but that's only with the 5 speed...

The 3.0 is a good motor also as long as the head gasket recall has been performed.

This one had that done before I got it...  Only engine issue it has right now is the choppy idle and bogginess till it warms up.

Sorry, no longer for sale...  Can't sell a broke truck.  Gonna see what my mechanic friend can do with it and nurse it thru the winter.  Selling somebody a big headache is not my style.  :cry:

Something in the fuel flow...  Runs good cold for about two minutes then acts like its on two cylinders.  Bogs badly unless you nail the gas, then it takes off.  After about 10 minutes it settles right down and runs good, but there's still a rough spot in the idle.  From what I've been able to see on line, there's 3 or 4 possibilities.

I'm having my good friend and hunting buddy (who is also a certified mechanic) check it out and also put new front rotors on it.  Looks like I'll be hanging on to it for the winter so I get my latest money in repairs out of it...  :-/

• Upvote 1