When Is It Time?

jhawk

So I've been lusting over a new bike for next spring, 675 or 899 are at the top of the list to check out, but am a bit hesitant. Im still on my first bike, honda hawk 650, and really enjoy it. I just want something more. Key word is want. I've never been on any other bikes so don't know how others feel. I do know that I want a sportier bike eventually. What would be the benefits of a newer bike and how do ya know when the right time to upgrade is? After the ride this weekend I realize that I can still learn more on my hawk, so how would a new bike help/hinder my development as a rider? I also don't want to be the slow guy on a fast bike so have no problem becoming fast on the hawk and then moving up. Got any advice?

I upgraded only because the soze of my previous bike didnt fot my body and also my old one was falling apart. Duster upgraded from an sv 650 to a gsxr 750 he might have insight on moving to a supersport being hes been on his new one longer than i have. How's that 750 treating you duster and what's different from your sv

Edited by ZxHooligan

Ya, after sat that was gonna be the plan. Can't help but want tho! Was hoping someone would tell me that a newer bike would help develop skills, but knew that was wishfull thinking... There's a few things I want to do the hawk, but wasn't gonna if I was to upgrade in spring. There will always be new bikes to lust over!

Buy what you want, don't listen to any of these dildos since not a single one of them can outride whatever piece of shit they had before their current bike (myself included). That said why i bought an fz1 is beyond me. Thing is fucking disgusting to even catch a glimpse of.

How much you want for the hawk?

A newer, faster bike will not make anyone "better," but a more purpose-built bike may be easier to ride for said purpose.

I did 5 track days on my EX500. Switching to an F2 was truly eye-opening. Things that felt totally awkward on the EX were natural on the F2. That was largely due to the position of the clip-ons, rear sets, and seat.

I don't know how a hawk is set up (haven't been on one since 2004, and never rode it then - just sat on it), but you COULD modify it to have a more aggressive stance ...or you could buy a modern 600 and get that more aggressive stance stock, plus 40 or 50 more horsepower.

Ahhh the agendas start coming out! lol The Hawk will be staying in the family for either the misses or my daughter already has her eyes on it, sorry fellas! Last name is Hawk so the bike will be part of the family forever. I do have a 66 Honda Dream in the garage tho if any are interested! 

After the ride this weekend I realize that I can still learn more on my hawk, so how would a new bike help/hinder my development as a rider? I also don't want to be the slow guy on a fast bike so have no problem becoming fast on the hawk and then moving up. Got any advice?

My $.02

I think you can learn more on a slow bike that handles well.  Power can make anything faster, but it covers up what could be missing in technique, skill, etc.

I've had lots of bikes :)  The ones that I learned the most on were a Bandit 400 (45hp), Buell XB9S (75 Hp), and my just sold Gladius 650 (70 hp).  While riding with the 'fast guys'...I learned to be smoother & carry more corner entry speed...I certainly wasn't going to catch anyone on the throttle :)

I just sold the Gladius because I was riding it at the limits of the motor and the (heavily modded) suspension.

Learn to ride the wheels off the Hawk and you will be a better rider when you upgrade.  Oh...and when you ride with 'fast guys' be sure to pick their brain at gas stops.    

Step up to a 1k standard/naked... Best switch I ever made... Fz1, sv1000, ninja 1000, cb1000r, speed triple, z1k, etc

... These type of bikes have plenty of power and torque, while being less of a handful compared to their supersport counterparts.... Comfort, ease of riding, etc... Awesome bikes

Vfr suggestion is good as well depending what you're looking ... If you plan to do some short touring, the vfr is an awesome compromise between sport and touring...however if you won't be touring, there's definitely better bikes for tearing up twisty roads and if you plan to tour a lot there's bikes better for that too

My best advice is check out an i4 1000cc standard... Fz1 if you want a bikini fairing, cb1000r/z1000 if it's not necessary

Fz8 seem nice too, but don't know anyone who has one so no first hand reviews

My advice:

Keep riding the hawk until you have a solid reason to upgrade or change...

It sounds like you really like the bike you have, so enjoy it until such time that something changes.

When your bike no longer suits your riding needs for whatever reason, then look at something else...

Of course, you can just completely ignore this, too.

Buy what you want, and enjoy that instead.

All personal preference, and where you want to spend your money.

Personally, I can't see myself changing bikes for any reason for at least another decade.

Mine does everything I've ever asked of it with grace and comfort.

Eventually I'll probably get a wing for long 2-up touring, and that bike will suit my needs for that era in my life.

Edited by magley64

Step up to a 1k standard/naked... Best switch I ever made... Fz1, sv1000, ninja 1000, cb1000r, speed triple, z1k, etc

... These type of bikes have plenty of power and torque, while being less of a handful compared to their supersport counterparts.... Comfort, ease of riding, etc... Awesome bikes

Vfr suggestion is good as well depending what you're looking ... If you plan to do some short touring, the vfr is an awesome compromise between sport and touring...however if you won't be touring, there's definitely better bikes for tearing up twisty roads and if you plan to tour a lot there's bikes better for that too

My best advice is check out an i4 1000cc standard... Fz1 if you want a bikini fairing, cb1000r/z1000 if it's not necessary

Fz8 seem nice too, but don't know anyone who has one so no first hand reviews

All are excellent suggestions however as a current Hawk owner I think he prefers a bike with some character and soul and that is the VFR :D

dont get me wrong, VFRs are great bikes...i loved mine, especially compared to the vmax...but i dont see myself ever going back to one....i feel like that bike was pretty good at doing everything, but didnt really excel at anything in particular....i dont do enough distance riding to need the vfr, so i wanted something more fun to ride around town and commute on, and i think any of the bikes i listed above would do that chore much better....eventually ill stick a st1300 or fjr in the garage too, next to my cb, but if your plans are for just a single bike - the vfr is a great middleground.

Bandit 1200. Not the fastest bike I've owned, not the prettiest either but it does everything well, the suspension is easily and inexpensively upgraded, its reasonably comfortable, and has plenty of power. The motor is based on the first gen gsxr1100, originally designed in the 80's. Air/oil cooled, reliable as a brick and extemely durable. They come with ~100 hp /65 ft lb torque but with a pipe, jets, k&n filter and 5° ignition advancer put about 120/75 to the back wheel. I rarely tach mine above 6k rpm, the good power starts around 4k and just keeps pulling, but its smooth delivery. They share a lot of parts with a ton of other Suzuki bikes so spares are readily available on eBay and they're reasonably easy to work on.

I actually really like the Honda Night hawks. roommate in college had one and it was a blast to ride. and wasnt slow. I think its a great first bike for anyone. though the step up from a hawk to a SS is alot. the Hawk also doesnt handle bad but it drags hard parts sooner than it should. 

The Head says keep the bike. As the more experienced members have said, you'll learn more on the hawk. Undeniable!

The Heart says life is short, carpe diem. Get a bike that moves your soul.

I moved up to an R1 much earlier than I should have. Had a couple of get-offs that I know my beginner bike could have helped me avoid. Luck and blessings kept me alive and intact. But it could have easily ended badly. With that said... the first time I laid eyes on the 50th anniversary R1, I drooled, lusted,wanted,obsessed.

Best and worst decision I made. I'd do it again.