A Post From The Obamacare Website?

Casper

Note: Take this with a grain of salt. It's a Facebook forward, so Lord knows if it has an inch of truth or not. 

A post from the Obamacare website page.

"I actually made it through this morning at 8:00 A.M. I have a preexisting condition (Type 1 Diabetes) and my income base was 45K-55K annually I chose tier 2 "Silver Plan" and my monthly premiums came out to $597.00 with $13,988 yearly deductible!!! There is NO POSSIBLE way that I can afford this so I "opt-out" and chose to continue along with no insurance. I received an email tonight at 5:00 P.M. informing me that my fine would be $4,037 and could be attached to my yearly income tax return. Then you make it to the "REPERCUSSIONS PORTION" for "non-payment" of yearly fine. First, your drivers license will be suspended until paid, and if you go 24 consecutive months with "Non-Payment" and you happen to be a home owner, you will have a federal tax lien placed on your home. You can agree to give your bank information so that they can easy "Automatically withdraw" your "penalties" weekly, bi-weekly or monthly! This by no means is "Free" or even "Affordable

Would love to know if there's any truth in this. Anyone from here check out the exchange yet?

Seriously doubting this, when does the IRS contact ANYONE via email?

edit: First 3 sources...infowars, freepatriot, libertynews...

if this turns out to be true, I'll wear a steelers shirt for a week.

Edited by magley64
  • Downvote 1

probably fake, but it is true that the federal government will take whatever you have if you owe them anything at all.

oh, and Forbes is showing that health care goes up for almost everyone.

The average was something like 24%. Oddly, California isn't one of the worst.

A couple of states went nuts and it's closer to 300%. (Nebraska and North Carolina)

Not surprised, health insurance already went up about 60% for everyone in the last 3 or 4 years.

Along with some other nasty changes to go with it.

one more thing, so far it's showing extremely low numbers of people signing up.

Even if it's really high numbers of people hitting the website.

Also hearing one California new source claiming exactly zero people signed up in California.

California did their own, and it's been available for quite a while. Mid Summer or something.

Edited by ReconRat

for fun, I just ran through one of the calculators.

If you were living on social security only, a good one, about 18000 a year income.

your health insurance is 775 a year, after federal rebates

if you smoke tobacco, it's 380% higher cost

no mention of any other pre-existing conditions

edit: I did notice that the cost might be higher if anyone in your household uses tobacco

Edited by ReconRat

This whole thing is a bigtime controversy on lots of forums across the web.  One person who has been vocally pro Obamacare checked his exchange in California and was shocked to find that choosing as close to the same coverage as he now has was going to cost him twice as much.  My wife works at Nationwide and they are going to stay with their employer shared plan but said the govt was charging them something like $65 per employee, per year.  Now this 'surcharge' is actually a cost that the employees should be paying, but for the time being they are going to assume the cost themselves.  When the company has to renegotiate with the insurance company at the end of next year though, we are figuring the company will make a change.....if they are faced with more increases in cost.  So, ultimately even if you have insurance and don't participate in the exchange crap you are going to be paying into the system.  Many have said it's going to be cheaper to just pay the fines and remain the way they are, uninsured.

Nearly everyone that has talked about checking their exchange pricing says its going up substantially.  I read somewhere that those who will benefit with cheaper prices are a select group....sounds like young families with 3 or 4 kids, something like that.

Playing around on the calculators on http://kff.org/ it seems that people that make too much for their states Medicare (which isnt much) and people that make low combined income. These prices are "estimated" for 2 adults 35yrs of age with 2 children.

Combined Income $25k = $500 per yr./ $8900 credit

$35k = $1400 / $8000

$45k = $2600 / $6700

$55k = $4100 / $5300

$65k = $5700 / $3700

$75k = $7100 / $2300

Also this is for people that do not use tobacco. Calculator says that there can be up to a 50% increase in premium is you smoke. I suggest quitting. Also it is assuming no pre-existing condition. 

Also if signing up for the exchange is a realistic option for you or anyone you know please go get a qoute on your own from an insurance provider. I have had my own private plan for a few years now and havent looked back. My company offerred family plan was getting way to expensive. As of now its cost an employee with a family $130+ per week. United Heath has alot of plans available and the prices qouted are within a few dollars of the actual costs when all is said and done. You dont have to sign up, wait for a phone call, email or anything. You can adjust alot of the details online. Of course when you actually sign up there are some more question you have to answer like, Are you fat?, Extra tall/short?, Ride a motorcycle and so on which will reflect the actual price.  I think most will be suprised on the savings that can be had taking charge of you own health care.  United Health is who i go through and have been happy with them. There have only been minor increases in my premium over the last few years. Nothing like the horror stories that it hear with group plans. Here's a link. https://www.uhone.com/default.aspx

And no i dont work for them. Kinda sounded that way after re-reading that last paragraph.

Edited by 20thGix

I miss my old HSA, but had to burn it while I was out of work...

My penalty for being uninsured this year will probably be around $100, but oh well.

things might change next year, and where I work now they have open enrollment every year.

Edited by magley64

I miss my old HSA, but had to burn it while I was out of work...

My penalty for being uninsured this year will probably be around $100, but oh well.

things might change next year, and where I work now they have open enrollment every year.

Could you not sign-up as a new emloyee? Also a HSA is where its at if your realativley healthy even with a family.

Edited by 20thGix

We have checked and compared before and nothing we could get that included what our coverage includes came close to how much we pay.  I did read a blurb from a yahoo.com source giving co pays, state by state, and here in the Cbus Ohio area, iirc, the avg co pay was about $47, and after OC takes over it will go up to around $200.

There is some good in the reform bill, but there is more bad in it and because of it.  My friend says it needs 'tweaking', but I call it a near total 're write'.

Could you not sign-up as a new emloyee? Also a HSA is where its at if your realativley healthy even with a family.

Yes, I could have.

I'm just barely digging my way out of debt from when I was unemployed the first half of this year. I can't afford the insurance right now. Between paying back my Dad, paying off credit cards, and making my bills, and house payment on time, there is nothing left.

Backpack is making her bills, and buying groceries.

Once we get a couple bills cleared we'll have some breathing room, but for now we're pretty much broke.

We have checked and compared before and nothing we could get that included what our coverage includes came close to how much we pay.  I did read a blurb from a yahoo.com source giving co pays, state by state, and here in the Cbus Ohio area, iirc, the avg co pay was about $47, and after OC takes over it will go up to around $200.

There is some good in the reform bill, but there is more bad in it and because of it.  My friend says it needs 'tweaking', but I call it a near total 're write'.

Copay for what?  A doctor's visit?  A doctor's visitn is usually $80-$160  How can the copay be 200?

Copay for what?  A doctor's visit?  A doctor's visitn is usually $80-$160  How can the copay be 200?

im with Scruit. If i go to the doc. because im sick i pay 100% of the visit which has been around $100. Urgent care likes to get abit more out of you it seems. Normal check-ups and the kids wellness are all covered/paid buy my insurer. Zero out-of-pocket for me.

You can believe snopes about as much as you can believe all the other 'info' that is floating around out there.  Neither is always right.

So it's "snopes" vs "all the other info" and your claim is "neither" is always right?

Wow, way to narrow it down.. maybe check "fact check" or "politifact" if you don't like snopes.

But in this case, snopes went through the math, and yes it's possible for this single person to have a 4,000 dollar penalty, but he'd have to make over 400,000/yr, and if you make 400,000 a year, you can likely afford minimum coverage either through the exchange or through a private insurer.

they also pointed out that there is no provision for you to lose your "state issued" driver's license as a function of owing tax money.

Edited by magley64

You can believe snopes about as much as you can believe all the other 'info' that is floating around out there.  Neither is always right.

At least they quote their sources so you can check for yourself.  Do the math...  How does one get a $4k no-insurance penalty in 2014 while only earning $45-55k?

A reply to some of the misinformation.

So I’d like to deconstruct one myth that surfaced during the Q&A as a way to illustrate how nonsensical some of the anti-Obamacare rhetoric is, along with how simple it can be to check information that sounds suspicious. One participant submitted a comment claiming that “illegals will get free healthcare under Obamacare,” along with the following language that supposedly comes straight from the law itself:

• “Page 50/section 152: The bill will provide insurance to all non-U.S. residents, even if they are here illegally.”
  • “Page 58 and 59: The government will have real-time access to an individual's bank account and will have the authority to make electronic fund transfers from those accounts.”
  • “Page 272. section 1145: Cancer hospital [sic] will ration care according to the patient's age. AGE 76, YOU WILL NOT BE ELIGIBLE FOR ANY CANCER TREATMENTS.”

You’ve got to be pretty gullible to believe that politicians elected by actual Americans would ever pass something this inflammatory. Yet people opposed to Obamacare in principle may simply be willing to suspend disbelief when presented with any evidence of its flaws, true or not. If anybody cared to check whether this information is true, here’s how you might do it.

First, look up the ACA online and see if this language is actually in there. All federal laws are public (except those pertaining to classified information) so anybody can search a law online to check what’s in it. The Affordable Care Act , it turns out, doesn’t even have a Section 152; all sections in the bill are either four or five digits, as in Sec. 2704 or Sec. 10201. There is a Sec. 152 of the Internal Revenue Code, which the ACA refers to several times, but that defines who qualifies as a given taxpayer's "dependent" and has nothing to do with immigration, legal or illegal.

At least they quote their sources so you can check for yourself.  Do the math...  How does one get a $4k no-insurance penalty in 2014 while only earning $45-55k?

So you think the govt actually cares about your income level when it comes to them penalizing a person?   I have zero faith in the current govt. and would not put anything past them in their attempt to make the 'change' they deem we need regardless of whether 'we' actually want it.  I claim to know zero about the penalty amounts.  I do know I have worked and paid my way for over 40 years and do not like knowing when we retire we will have to rely on some govt employee to determine whether we should be allowed coverage on some sort of necessary medical procedure based on our age and productive years left based on some sort of national average.  I also do not like having to pay for others to have healthcare.  These issues will effect us personally. Living pay day to pay day has become a norm to us, and any increased cost is going to hurt.  As to costs, any co pay increases come out of pocket as do deductibles.  

Back during Obamas first campaign for Prez snopes was found to be less than reliable concerning information concerning Obama.  Since then I will check snopes but always take their writings as more opinion than fact.

1. I claim to know zero about the penalty amounts.

2. I do know I have worked and paid my way for over 40 years and do not like knowing when we retire we will have to rely on some govt employee to determine whether we should be allowed coverage on some sort of necessary medical procedure based on our age and productive years left based on some sort of national average.

3. I also do not like having to pay for others to have healthcare.

4. These issues will effect us personally. Living pay day to pay day has become a norm to us, and any increased cost is going to hurt.  As to costs, any co pay increases come out of pocket as do deductibles.  

5. Back during Obamas first campaign for Prez snopes was found to be less than reliable concerning information concerning Obama.  Since then I will check snopes but always take their writings as more opinion than fact.

1. Knowing zero, but believing anything negative written by someone on the internet...not the smartest way to go about it. Do some ACTUAL research, the law is available in black and white, read it.

2. I think you're confusing Obamacare for a single payer system.

3. Medicare and medicaid were enacted in 1965, the only other people who you are "paying for" are the uninsured who get sick and don't pay their bills.

4. it's the insurance companies raising your rates, not the government

5. Which urban legend would you be referring to? Link?

• Upvote 1

So you think the govt actually cares about your income level when it comes to them penalizing a person?   I have zero faith in the current govt. and would not put anything past them in their attempt to make the 'change' they deem we need regardless of whether 'we' actually want it.  I claim to know zero about the penalty amounts.  I do know I have worked and paid my way for over 40 years and do not like knowing when we retire we will have to rely on some govt employee to determine whether we should be allowed coverage on some sort of necessary medical procedure based on our age and productive years left based on some sort of national average.  I also do not like having to pay for others to have healthcare.  These issues will effect us personally. Living pay day to pay day has become a norm to us, and any increased cost is going to hurt.  As to costs, any co pay increases come out of pocket as do deductibles.  

Back during Obamas first campaign for Prez snopes was found to be less than reliable concerning information concerning Obama.  Since then I will check snopes but always take their writings as more opinion than fact.

Wait..  You are arguing penalty amounts, yet admit to NOT knowing the penalty amounts?  You believe the $4k penalty amount enough to argue against me disputing it?

How about this:

https://www.ehealthinsurance.com/affordable-care-act/faqs/how-much-are-the-tax-penalties-for-not-having-health-insurance-and-when-do-they-apply

This is not from the snopes people, nor is it from the FEMA Death Camp crowd.

Maximum family penalty for 2014 is 285.  That is a fraction of the cost of just *one* ER visit from said family.

• Upvote 1

My initial post in here was #8-, never mentioned anything about penalties....my next post was #12, again, nothing about penalties.....#16 was about the reliability of snopes.......and my final post, #21, only mentioned the penalties in response to your  previous post with me saying I really do not know anything about them but I would not put anything past the govt concerning any penalty costs.

So, you say I am arguing about penalty costs

Wait..  You are arguing penalty amounts....

Try starting an argument with someone else Scruit.

Edited by ohiomike

Copay for what? A doctor's visit? A doctor's visitn is usually $80-$160 How can the copay be 200?

I had a $200 copay at OrthoNeuro and $250 at Mt Carmel East earlier this year...It was while I was in between jobs that had insurance so I tagged onto my mom's UHC plan through her employer and still had those copays

OrthoNeuro said my copay was high to cover different possible treatments and if my bill turned out to be lower than expected, they would refund some of it... Ended up getting 160 back (so 40 total copay, but still had to front the 200)...Mt Carmel called me every day twice a day looking for their 250 though, not a penny less

Edited by Steve Butters