Hard-wiring GPS. Good idea?

redkow97

I'm picking up a crappy street bike on Saturday.  I believe it has gauges, but even if it does, I am planning to remove the fairings and wind-screen, and go with a naked look.

That said, I want to retain a tach if possible, but I'm considering replacing the speedometer with a cheap GPS unit.  TomTom units sell for $30 on eBay, which is considerably less expensive (and more accurate) than other solutions like the Trail Tech Vapor gauges (which is my fall-back plan). I would power the GPS by either hard-wiring the power cable, or by simply running a battery tender cigarette adapter.  The thought would be use the standard mounting brackets that are used in cars, so that I could bring the display with me, and have it not be stolen.

Keeping rain off the GPS unit is a mild concern, but with the low cost of replacement, I would risk it on the first unit, and then try to find a better solution if one is necessary...

Am I not thinking of something that makes this a horrible idea?

Just an fyi, and I think it was stupid and just a cop with a hard on for motorcycle's....

I was ticketed once because I didn't have the stock gauges on my bike and was using my GPS as my speedometer. It was an addition to a speeding ticket I got.

It was an equipment violation that the bike didn't have the oem gauge assembly.

Edited by dustinsn3485

I plan to mount a GPS regardless, because I suck at directions, but I don't see any reason to have 2 speed readings...

As far as the legalities go, it wouldn't surprise me if an officer didn't find GPS to be an acceptable speedometer. I'd fight that, if I had to.

I'm planning to fabricate a small fairing that will reduce glare, hide some wiring behind the gauges, and hopefully also keep the GPS from getting hit with water (so long as the bike is moving)

Something like the 2nd gen SV650 "N" has or had

122_1011_04_o%2Bsuzuki_sv650%2Bright_sid

The major difference is that my idea is to make something less upright.  I am toying with the idea of using an old (crashed) helmet visor, trimmed down and flexed more.  If I can match the radius of the circular headlight I want to use, and then just scuff and paint the visor, I have a functional (and free) 'fairing.'

Edited by redkow97

dude a trailtech vapor is like $99

youd have tach, speed, and coolant temp, plus ambeint air temp.  IMO worth the money over a GPS and a stand alone tach.

I'm not opposed to the idea (or cost) of the vapor gauges, but as noted, I will be installing the GPS anyway, and space is somewhat at a premium.  I have also heard that the Vapor tach function is slow to react.  That's not a huge deal, but it's a consideration.  I also don't like the idea of running a wire down the fork leg to operate the speedometer, but I could get over that as well, I guess.

I haven't bought anything at this point, nor have I seen the factory gauges on the Kat, so that will be job 1.   The 'modifications' probably shouldn't start until I get it running well anyway.

I bought a cigarette lighter extension cable and cut off the cable end. I hard wired the extension Cable to the battery. I then hooked up the factory gps cable into the extension. I used a little silicone caulking to seal it from moisture. Then I ziptied and used a little duct tape to make sure the connection doesn't rattle loose. I tucked it under the fairing, and I have had no issues in nearly 2 years. I put a ziploc bag over the gps when it rains.

^ I may shorten up the cables that way to eliminate slack, but I think I will leave the cigarette adapter end so I can charge my phone on long rides. 

That was actually another idea I toyed with (using the GPS navigation and a speedometer app on my phone instead of a 'real' speedometer).  The reality is that I don't want to constantly be using data to power a speedo though.   I would never have considered this a few years ago, but eBay TomToms are just so ridiculously affordable... I could literally carry a spare unit for next to nothing...