Car Tars (tires)..too many options

2talltim

"prefer" would be the key word

I would choose RWD over AWD in the snow... And no I've never driven any of the various AWD options that I can recall ( Based on what i've read, honda's AWD version is much less agressive than say subaru)

I refuse to buy a subaru AWD because their AWD cars are ugly, boring sedans and wagons.. I don't have the money for a COOL AWD car like an Audi R8...

then there is this

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/news/industry/the-myth-of-the-all-powerful-all-wheel-drive-15202862

My friend andrew has a 09 WRX, he has 2 sets of wheels. during the summer months he runs custom wheels with dunlop star specs, and during the winter he runs stock wheels with blizzaks. There is nothing like having traction.

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about concerning Subarus.

Edited by Pokey

Because I think your car is as exciting to look at as a 94 chevy lumina?

Calling them boring is anything but true, and the designs and changes of the recent models are quite nice. Considering the vehicles you drive/ride and own, beauty is obviously in the eyes of the beholder.

Calling them boring is anything but true, and the designs and changes of the recent models are quite nice. Considering the vehicles you drive/ride and own, beauty is obviously in the eyes of the beholder.

No argument there... beauty is subjective...

and what I call "boring" you might call "the epitome if exciting"... Whatever gets your juices flowing.

But if I were going to buy a sedan or a wagon, it would be way more exciting and powerful than a subaru... something like a CTS-V

And as long as I don't buy it "new" I should be able to afford one when my time comes to need a "family" car.

Edited by magley64

Mags, it's not preference. AWD is superior for traction. Dry, wet, snow. It doesn't matter.

So you concur that tires are #1, AWD is #2...

And yes, preference matters.... you might spank me all over the track with an AWD, and make it around way faster, but I'm going to have more fun, more often, with a RWD... Kicking out the rear end, drifting it through corners, oversteer after oversteer giggling my little ass off the whole way.

If you don't prefer AWD (read: not 4X4) to RWD, then you haven't driven a proper AWD car in the snow. That, or you're full of shit.

I've had two AWD DSM's and they were the shit in the snow.   They would go anywhere I took them offroad, too, accessing cell towers when I was in PA.  

And of course, flooring it in the snow was just shits and giggles shenanigans that nothing short of jumping out of airplanes or surfing in pre-hurricane surf can top. 

I find it absolutely enjoyable...

Beats the hell out of driving a car that drags it's rear wheels in the snow.

This is too good to pass up...

Now that we've got that insight, maybe we can teach you after all that dragging your knuckles behind you isn't as enjoyable as you're tryin to make it out as

Yeah, I don't think you understood what I meant by "push the front". I wasn't referring to the location of drive wheels. You can push the front in both RWD and FWD.

I guess not. you're talking about understeer?

Understeer sucks, and that's what FWD does that I hate...Never had that happen in any of my RWD vehicles.

Edited by magley64

Magdor clearly doesn't know how to DRIVE a vehicle.

Go take a track day at Mid-Ohio and learn how much you don't fucking know about driving and then.....maybe....you'll begin to understand how you don't know anything about anything except typing bullshit on the internet. 

• Upvote 1

Magdor clearly doesn't know how to DRIVE a vehicle.

Go take a track day at Mid-Ohio and learn how much you don't fucking know about driving and then.....maybe....you'll begin to understand how you don't know anything about anything except typing bullshit on the internet. 

You want to go for a drive?

Lol 100 bucks says my focus with no traction control and all season tires will out run any rwd car with snow tires.

Duane. FWD is better because UNDERsteer is easier to control than OVERsteer and as a matter of fact almost every RWD car made today is designed to have UNDERsteer. Maybe using nascar terms might help you.

UNDERsteer = tight

OVERsteer= loose

Tire warranties are useless, anyway.

nothing but a sales gimmick. It'll cover defects for the m leave state, but good luck getting half that before you get radial pulls. Well, except for my firestone Indy 500 a/s. I put 100,000 miles on them bitches. Even bald I still had snow traction. Too bad they stopped making them, I guess they weren't making enough profit.

Just ordered a set of the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All Season from discount tire direct, they will be sent to the house and I have a friend with a tire shop that will put them on for $40. Discount tire direct beat the tirerack price out the door, plus I get a $80 rebate through goodyear and a $30 rebate though my credit card plus 6 months same as cash. $542.28 out the door minus $80 rebate minus $30 rebate plus $40 install = $472.28,  not bad for a full set of premium 80,000 mile all season tires. Should last her a couple years since she drives 140 miles round trip to work.

Coincidentally, I went through this debate with my '09 Legacy and my wife's '07 Impala about this time last year and spent a LOT of time checking out tire reviews.  My bias was more toward an all-season with good snow performance as we both work at a hospital and have to head out regardless of conditions.

We ended up putting the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Seasons on my wife's 2007 Impala.  Have had pretty good reviews and we've been very happy with them.  Good traction, confident steering.  I was torn between those and the Nokian WRG2.  They were pretty close in price normally, but Discount Tire ran a deal I couldn't pass up on the Goodyears and the decision was made.  My dad runs the WRG2 on his car and likes them a lot.  If prices are similar, I would go with the WRG2, however.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Assurance+TripleTred+All-Season&partnum=26HR6ATTAS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Impala%20LS%20Sedan&autoModClar=With%20Metal%20Valve%20Stems

The '09 Legacy I went with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS.  They may not be available in the right size for your Impala as I couldn't find them for the 2007, but if they are they're fantastic tires equivalent in performance to the Nokians but less expensive with a better warranty.

this will make another 07 impala with these tires, thanks for the input

this will make another 07 impala with these tires, thanks for the input

Glad it was helpful.  Now I just hope you like them.  We were coming from the OEM Goodyear Integrity, which were gawd awful even in dry conditions.

Edited by smashweights

Glad it was helpful.  Now I just hope you like them.  We were coming from the OEM Goodyear Integrity, which were gawd awful even in dry conditions.

We had some crap china made tires on it when we bought it used and they sucked(no grip, below average mileage) but wore them out quick because of the factory toe out problem these cars come with that we fixed. Then we were broke ass people when my wife was in school so we went with a pair of walmart  goodyear viva 2's which equally sucked(damn things had a vibration from day one). Then we were getting ready to go to florida last fall and noticed the 2 remaining china tires on the rear were cracking in the side wall so as a last min thing had firestone put on 2 of the cheapest things they had which were champion HR's, they had excellent grip but we only got 20k miles out of them. So right now we have the 2 champion HR's on the front and the 2 viva2's on the back. So we have never really had a "good" set of tires on this car since we have owned it.

Edited by 2talltim

Lol 100 bucks says my focus with no traction control and all season tires will out run any rwd car with snow tires.

Duane. FWD is better because UNDERsteer is easier to control than OVERsteer and as a matter of fact almost every RWD car made today is designed to have UNDERsteer. Maybe using nascar terms might help you.

UNDERsteer = tight

OVERsteer= loose

No, oversteer is when your tail end goes straight when your front wheels are turned...

Understeer is when your front end goes straight when the wheels are turned...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmfyzc5EI0DnS2p_vWPmWTmpwofdCZBUpCox0DhLcH5hLOJ7xQXsSyFro8

And I'll take your challenge, but you'll have to wait until I get a suitable rwd... the only thing I got right now is my veedub, and I'm not driving it in the winter.

Edited by magley64

No, oversteer is when your tail end goes straight when your front wheels are turned...

Understeer is when your front end goes straight when the wheels are turned...

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRmfyzc5EI0DnS2p_vWPmWTmpwofdCZBUpCox0DhLcH5hLOJ7xQXsSyFro8

And I'll take your challenge, but you'll have to wait until I get a suitable rwd... the only thing I got right now is my veedub, and I'm not driving it in the winter.

christ you are dense.

Sent from my flip razor using Tapatalk - now Free