Car Tars (tires)..too many options

2talltim

We had some crap china made tires on it when we bought it used and they sucked(no grip, below average mileage) but wore them out quick because of the factory toe out problem these cars come with that we fixed. Then we were broke ass people when my wife was in school so we went with a pair of walmart  goodyear viva 2's which equally sucked(damn things had a vibration from day one). Then we were getting ready to go to florida last fall and noticed the 2 remaining china tires on the rear were cracking in the side wall so as a last min thing had firestone put on 2 of the cheapest things they had which were champion HR's, they had excellent grip but we only got 20k miles out of them. So right now we have the 2 champion HR's on the front and the 2 viva2's on the back. So we have never really had a "good" set of tires on this car since we have owned it.

Yikes, well sounds like the bar is set pretty low.  You'll probably just like having 4 of the same tires with the same treadwear on the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Got them installed this morning along with a new TPMS in one of the wheels (got tired of the idiot light being on). So far they feel good, even got to try them in the rain a bit. Super quiet too

Interesting you say that cause many people complain about them being too noisy.  I did not think this was the case with ours.  But one thing I noticed was that there are two versions of the TripleTreds with different tread patterns and I wonder if the older version was a lot louder and reviews didn't distinguish between versions.

Old:

332d1191154212-goodyear-assurance-triple

New:

gy_assu_3tas_ci2_l.jpg

Edited by smashweights

Interesting you say that cause many people complain about them being too noisy. I did not think this was the case with ours. But one thing I noticed was that there are two versions of the TripleTreds with different tread patterns and I wonder if the older version was a lot louder and reviews didn't distinguish between versions.

Old:

Posted Image

New:

Posted Image

Ours are the new pattern for sure

• 3 months later...

Thought of you today since I remembered you have the same Impala as us.  The wife told me the rear defroster wasn't functioning anymore and I took a quick google search and found out the harness literally burns out unusually frequently (http://www.impalaforums.com/diy-how-tos-and-write-ups/251292-rear-defroster-burnt-wire-fix-write-up.html).  Seems a bit frightening that this problem is common and not a recall since this harness sits right next to the carpet.  So if your rear defroster goes out, this is probably why.  May even want to consider cutting out the defrost wire and splicing back together outside the harness to prevent this.

602338_10100766418373626_968797067_n.jpg

1551493_10100766418443486_1504763624_n.j

Edited by smashweights

Thought of you today since I remembered you have the same Impala as us.  The wife told me the rear defroster wasn't functioning anymore and I took a quick google search and found out the harness literally burns out unusually frequently (http://www.impalaforums.com/diy-how-tos-and-write-ups/251292-rear-defroster-burnt-wire-fix-write-up.html).  Seems a bit frightening that this problem is common and not a recall since this harness sits right next to the carpet.  So if your rear defroster goes out, this is probably why.  May even want to consider cutting out the defrost wire and splicing back together outside the harness to prevent this.

602338_10100766418373626_968797067_n.jpg

1551493_10100766418443486_1504763624_n.j

I've actually already had this problem and that's what I did just cut the wires and ran a splice outside the harness. Wasn't really that big of a deal other than I did it on a 5deg day outside. Other problems that are common that you may come across are if you car wont  shift out of park there is a wire in console that is known to break or come loose on the shift interlock. And if you ever hear a thumping coming from you dash or if you cold/hot  on you heater quits working there are little actuator motors that go bad, iv replaced 2 already. One more thing is you ever keep getting the message that your gas cap is loose there is a solenoid canister back by the gas fill neck that gets gummed up with dirt and crud(easiest just to replace the whole thing). These thing are all fairly in expensive to replace your self(if you buy online, I use amazon mostly) but things like the accuators on the heater are a pain to get to but not impossible. We now have almost 120, 000 miles on ours and other than these few things it has been trouble free(never been in the shop ), the wife puts about 130-140 miles a day on it.

Edited by 2talltim