Ohio Stand Your Ground law -House Bill 203

mango_sv

The class is pointless as is, less time sitting in there is not going to change anything. Most people will go out and practice on their own and put more bullets down range than most cop do. My CHL instructor (a cop) told us that they are only required to do 50 rounds a year and that's all most do, hell I do more than that going out once. I would love to see this pass as we may now get PA and a few other states that we can carry in.

Maybe. Problem, IMO, and I really shouldn't say citiots, it's not the what to do in the situation, it's the you've never handled guns before part and if all they do is this training, then I'd rather it wasn't 4 hours.

I am getting a FL license to cover me in CO and NH my main 2 travel areas, and keeping OH valid anyways.  In the end, I don't get why PA isn't on board yet.  And if this is what it takes to get that, then I am for it.  I also like the idea that I can stand my ground, I never at any point feel it is my duty to retreat or seek refuge if my life, my wife, kid, family, or friend's life is endangered.

Honestly, I do wish the world was more like the old west, well in lots of ways actually, but when you can sue McD's for hot coffee you know the US is F'd.

• Upvote 1

In the end, I don't get why PA isn't on board yet.

The current law in Ohio requires that the State we enter into a reciprocity agreement with has similar requirements as we do.  We require training, PA does not...so that is the issue. I talked on the phone to the assistant AG that is in charge of making these agreements, he is very pro 2nd/CHL/reprocity. His hands are tied by the law, he and the PA people tried really hard to make it work. If this article's interpretation of the law is correct:

"and a reciprocal program to recognize other states' permits if those states honor permits issued by Ohio"

That will help, PA can recognize ours on their own...that forces Ohio to recognize theirs. Now, how do we get that message to the other states? Going to take us contacting the CHL forums in other states and getting them to talk to their state people.

• Upvote 1

I will only care when our fourth and fifth amendments stop being blatantly trampled on by being required to inform if I am carrying. Well duh if I want to kill a cop I'm going to tell him I'm carrying. Oh wait I'm going to go through the trouble of getting a chl to kill a cop during a traffic stop ugh.

• Upvote 1

The current law in Ohio requires that the State we enter into a reciprocity agreement with has similar requirements as we do.  We require training, PA does not...so that is the issue. I talked on the phone to the assistant AG that is in charge of making these agreements, he is very pro 2nd/CHL/reprocity. His hands are tied by the law, he and the PA people tried really hard to make it work. If this article's interpretation of the law is correct:

"and a reciprocal program to recognize other states' permits if those states honor permits issued by Ohio"

That will help, PA can recognize ours on their own...that forces Ohio to recognize theirs. Now, how do we get that message to the other states? Going to take us contacting the CHL forums in other states and getting them to talk to their state people.

That makes sense, but no sense.  So OH requires training and PA doesn,t so that means that they won't accept OH CHLs?  LOL .

Good info tho, hope that changes.

I am getting a FL license to cover me in CO and NH my main 2 travel areas, and keeping OH valid anyways.  In the end, I don't get why PA isn't on board yet.  And if this is what it takes to get that, then I am for it.  I also like the idea that I can stand my ground, I never at any point feel it is my duty to retreat or seek refuge if my life, my wife, kid, family, or friend's life is endangered.

Honestly, I do wish the world was more like the old west, well in lots of ways actually, but when you can sue McD's for hot coffee you know the US is F'd.

How do you go about getting a Florida CHL?

How do you go about getting a Florida CHL?

Go to their website and request the paperwork. They mail it to you, you fill it out and send it back with the money. They also send you a fingerprint card that you have to have filled out by the local leo's. Pretty much any local leo office will do it for you. Some require an appointment.....

Actually, you still have a class to take, 2 hours long.  If you're interested get on Craigslist and search concealed carry, or CCW, etc.  There is one by Dayton that is on a FB page I am a member of, and on there.  I called them already and hope to take the early Dec. class.  I think the class is 65 dollars, then you pay like $130 to FL and mail in the class cert, and their paperwork, then they mail it back to you.

The Craigslist ad also shows all the benefits over the OH license and it makes sense big time if you travel to any of the states I mentioned, and I believe GA too, which is a sh*thole state, but I do occasionally travel through to FL.

My biggest problem is with the GF CCW. She lives in Indiana and has an Indiana permit, but she can't carry in Ohio. She took the CCW class with me (which was mostly a joke). She shoots with me and we make it to the range as much as possible. Especially since it's 1 mile from my house.

• 3 weeks later...

This bill is causing me Facebook ulcers...

A mutual friend of mine posted a link to an article about this, and my (I thought very diplomatic) response was something to the effect of "all this means is that victims are no longer obligated to retreat before responding to an attacker with lethal force."

Of course someone's ultra-liberal friend had to oppose my characterization that that is "all" the bill means...  He's claiming that black people are going to be dead in the streets, and this law will make it impossible to convict shooters in gang violence scenarios, blah blah blah.

My take is; even if I'm willing to assume that the statistics he's spewing are accurate, that is pointing out a racial bias in the judicial system, and not a flaw with this specific piece of legislation.

I'm willing to acknowledge that the statistics show black males are 280 times more likely to be convicted of shooting white people (or whatever the stat is) - that doesn't mean that I don't think all victims (no matter what race they are) should be allowed to respond to an attack with equal force before retreating.  Blaming the victims for being attacked is just stupid.

I should have asked this guy if he thinks rape victims should have to attempt to retreat before they fight back too...

Of course someone's ultra-liberal friend had to oppose my characterization that that is "all" the bill means...  He's claiming that black people are going to be dead in the streets, and this law will make it impossible to convict shooters in gang violence scenarios, blah blah blah.

Yes because so many gang members are legally carrying a weapon. The cornerstone of any of the self defense laws and the new SYG law is you yourself must be there legally and behaving lawfully.

I'm not even trying to get into the legal requirements for SYG.  For me, it comes down to whether or not you believe a victim should be allowed to defend himself with equal force, or attempt to retreat first.

Frankly, even WITH a duty to retreat, I would argue that there is no practical way to retreat from an assailant wielding a firearm.  It is not possible, let alone practical for me to be expected to out-run a bullet.

I would be interested in seeing statistics or even hearing anecdotal evidence of someone who defended themselves without "retreating" and was subsequently convicted. My bet is that legitimate self defense isn't going to be an issue. That being said, get DTR off the books. Just one more thing for your lawyer to defend.

This bill is causing me Facebook ulcers...

A mutual friend of mine posted a link to an article about this, and my (I thought very diplomatic) response was something to the effect of "all this means is that victims are no longer obligated to retreat before responding to an attacker with lethal force."

My take is; even if I'm willing to assume that the statistics he's spewing are accurate, that is pointing out a racial bias in the judicial system, and not a flaw with this specific piece of legislation.

I'm willing to acknowledge that the statistics show black males are 280 times more likely to be convicted of shooting white people (or whatever the stat is) - that doesn't mean that I don't think all victims (no matter what race they are) should be allowed to respond to an attack with equal force before retreating.  Blaming the victims for being attacked is just stupid.

I should have asked this guy if he thinks rape victims should have to attempt to retreat before they fight back too...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime_in_the_United_States