3/8-3/10 Jenningw GP rolecall rideshare info

RHill

Attending????????  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are you attending the 3/8-3/10 Jennings Track Day? If, which days?

• Nope, I'm a sad panda.
    • Yes, I'll be there all 3 days
    • Yes, Saturday(8th) and Sunday(9th)
    • Yes, Sunday (9th) and Monday(10th)
  2. 2. Do you have a ride planned? If no and there are limiting factors, choose the prefered dates.

• Yes, leaving friday returning monday
    • Yes, leaving friday returning monday night
    • Yes, leaving friday returning tuesday
    • Yes, leaving Saturday retunring monday night
    • Yes, leaving Saturday retunring tuesday
    • No,leaving friday returning monday
    • No, leaving friday returning monday night
    • No , leaving friday returning tuesday
    • No, leaving Saturday retunring monday night
    • No, leaving Saturday retunring tuesday

Thanks for the info Matt.  Had no idea they required riders to start in novice...hopefully that doesn't cause an issue.  You planning on jumping straight into expert in March?

How was the wear on your front tire?  Safe to assume you would be able to get by 3 days on a single front?  I'm planning on mounting up a set of take off slicks and taking a new DOT rear in addition to my crappy rains just in case.  Guess I could just take down another front as well.

Yeah, you should be fine for three days if you have a fairly new front I think.  Fronts last a lot longer than people think.  Although the track did put noticeably more wear on it then say Nelson or Pitt.  I probably would have been fine doing another day on the Pirelli front (which seems to last forever).

Yeah, if you admit to it being your first time there, you're going into novice.  Whether you choose to admit it is up to you.  It really wasn't as bad as I thought, got to check the track out and ride with an instructor for a while.

How crowded was Novice vs. Intermediate?  Seems like a decent idea to do some sighting laps and get some tips.

I only have a track day and a half on my current set of q3s. I know you guys are at a quicker pace than I am so il risk my front making it.

I have a half a track day on my Q2's.  Sounds like I should be OK?

They only make you ride first session of the day In novice if you never been there,then you go to your group after that.

It's not bad ,you have time to check the track ,and look for correct line.next session you already know where to go.

• Upvote 1

Yes, they only make you do the first session or two in novice.  I actually think I got more clean laps in novice than intermediate.  Intermediate was crowded enough, and most guys were just quick enough, to make fighting through the traffic a little more difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

A little over a month left, anyone who saw my cbr last year wont recognize it now.

Mods I did over the winter "so far" are... armour bodies plastics "painted by DC paintworx", 15/45 sprocket setup with a 520 EK chain, Woodcraft clip ons, Vortex rear sets, CRG RC2 levers, woodcraft shorty frame sliders and new sub frame "whoops". Still need to put in the front springs I got too, buy a new set of leathers and atleast a spare rear tire to take.

Between that and my buddies CBR we should have a decent amount of spare parts to take down south.

Just spent 3 days at Jennings. It was my first time there, learned a lot, enjoyed it a lot.

Saturday had a light rain in the AM. I took my 2009 Aprilia RS125 out in the first session Expert and no one was on track, which let me run that session to learn the layout. Rode it one more session, with a couple other bikes on track. After that, we had lunch, track dried out and sun came out to mid 60's F. Rode the 1199 all afternoon. Ran 1:27's fighting a bad pogo on rear end. Started clicking in more rebound and it helped but didn't solve. At the end of the day I swapped off the Dunlops to Pirelli's. Ran a couple sessions on Sunday morning, then got some assistance from Thermosman (AKA Mike). He pointed that my ass was oversprung and needed .80 instead of .95. He also softened it up as best he could and off I went. Times went down to 1:25's.

Monday, woke up and felt good. Ran 1:23's in my second outing. After that, the rear slick was fading fast regarding edge grip and I had a few big slides (TC2). Parked the bike and started packing up some of my crap.

I rode the RS125 in one expert session on Monday and almost highsided coming out of 10. The rear stepped at least a foot out as I was right on the ass of a few of my buddies on larger bikes. Then I rode it in an Intermediate session so I could go hound all the big bikes and pass them through the tight corners. Loads of fun, until the guy pitting across from me, highsided a CBR600RR about 10 feet in front of me coming out of 10. Luckily his bike went to the left and he went to the right and I split between them with a few feet to spare. Best time on the 125 was 1:35's. Remember this is the street 125 (not a race 125) and with Michelin street tires.

GF went out for one final session and ended up crashing hard in turn 3 and was laid out on the track. Evening spent in the ER with result being broken wrist and concussion with some memory loss. No idea what happened. Left side of her boots, leathers and left side + rear of helmet damaged. Bike was beat up bad on the right side. A lot of grinding on the right handlebar and bar end. Switch gear totally busted on the right clip on. Tank cover, all bodywork on right side, peg, and brake lever.

I'm still trying to puzzle out what happened. Luckily I was almost all packed up so I was able to get her to the ER in South Georgia pretty quickly. Once there, nothing was quick.

She's not a fast rider and this was here first track experience, albeit the third day in a row. The 125 won't exceed 98 mph and she was typically going less than 70.

Highly recommend the track. Free camping and showers. Everything is close, pit bike totally unnecessary. They didn't charge us to use the electrical hookups which are located at each pit stall, no need for long extension cords. Concrete patches to set up on were nice.

On another note, concession stand/food trailer is pretty tasty and reasonably priced. The couple that run it are very friendly.

I drove down in my newly acquired 2002 Sprinter Tall Roof and always got more than 22 mpg's going high 70's.

Chris

Nice write up and nice times especially for your first trip there! Sorry to hear about the GF. Hope she recovers quickly and hope this doesn't scare her away from the sport.

It's getting closer to the deadlines, and I'm pretty certain I want to go and I shouldn't have a problem taking off of work. If I go I'll have up to 3 spots available in my trailer. The first 2 spots are reserved for jbot and Hollywood if they plan on going. The last spot is still open. I'd prefer to minimize my time off of work, so I'm thinking the Sat/Sun schedule is best for me. I'd take Friday and Monday off. Be packed up and ready to go so we could leave after everyone is done with work on Thursday. Drive as far as we can and make the rest of the trip Friday. Trackday Sat and Sun, then leave and drive as far as we can Sunday and finish the trip Monday.

I'm putting in my vote just so I can see what everyone else is up to, but if that schedule doesn't work for anyone else I could change it.

It sounds like there are alot of guys willing to drive down and haul bikes, can probably get some together that way. I am towing 4 bikes already but if needed I can throw one or two in the bed of the truck.

Thanks for the write up turnone. Glad your GF didnt get hurt any worse, is she considering going back to the track?

Chris, sorry to hear about the GF; hope she heals up quick.  It has to be difficult not being able to recollect what happened, the cause, or ways to avoid it in the future; hopefully she can recover quick and be comfortable enough to get back on the track again.  

Thanks for the report;  I'm hoping to run times around that range as long as the cobwebs don't hold me back too much.  I'm jealous of the sprinter as well.

Would like to make it down there but don't want to make the trek by myself. Buddy I usually go with is backing out. Anyone needing a ride still? I have an enclosed 6x12 that can fit another bike and gear. Let me know.

What days were you wanting to go?  Like Jester said above, we have a couple potential spots for the ride down.

I'm pretty sure she wants to ride more than I want her too at the moment. Not knowing what happened is the hardest part, obviously hard to learn from.

I should also mention that those sleeping in cars or vans should bring something to block the lighting. I used cardboard and taped to the van windows. It worked well. Also a small piece as a floor mat to keep out the sand and dead grass would be smart.

My wife is coming along and wanted to take pictures "her camera setup costs more than 2 of my bikes" so her and I will be in a hotel but everyone else is more than welcome to sleep in the trailer to block the light.

Is there candy in the trailer too?

Also, that sounds like an excuse to get more bikes....

Edited by RHill