Pop mechanics know-it-all car quiz

Gump

Which air pressure question?  Where do you find the correct air pressure for your vehicle?  

How would a tire manufacturer know what works best for the vehicle?  The pressure located on the sidewall is a max inflation, and there's an inflation value for max weight rating.

Some vehicles have options for tire sizes, suspension ratings, etc.  The vehicle manufacturer prints one owner's manual, and does not rely on the owner being able to determine the proper inflation pressure  for different options available on the vehicle.

I missed some of the questions like the ground clearance one, and that sort of thing.  That is not information that I really care to know.  If I need to know it, I have Google.

• Upvote 1

Which air pressure question? Where do you find the correct air pressure for your vehicle?

How would a tire manufacturer know what works best for the vehicle? The pressure located on the sidewall is a max inflation, and there's an inflation value for max weight rating.

Some vehicles have options for tire sizes, suspension ratings, etc. The vehicle manufacturer prints one owner's manual, and does not rely on the owner being able to determine the proper inflation pressure for different options available on the vehicle.

I missed some of the questions like the ground clearance one, and that sort of thing. That is not information that I really care to know. If I need to know it, I have Google.

What if you put a 20 year old brand new tire on a 2013? Max was 35 back in the day?

I missed a few of the "rank these cars".. from the trunk space, ground clearance and the torque question.

The one question about starting a cold car, I usually let the car run for about a minute before driving away. Usually enough time to put on the seatbelt, and find a radio station.

Has there ever been a thread that didn't eventually culminate in pointless bickering?

No there hasnt. Somehow this will turn into headlight modulators,  how to properly turn a motorcycle or if racing mini's will transfer to big bikes. Possible splash of god and politics.

Any whooo......i got 8/15. I could give a shit which car has more speeds, cargo or ground clearance. The tire pressure one also got me.

• Upvote 1

The one question about starting a cold car, I usually let the car run for about a minute before driving away. Usually enough time to put on the seatbelt, and find a radio station.

There is a guy i work with that i would swear hasnt got his hand off the key before he pulls out of his parking spot. On top of that drives like a bat out of hell. He probaly has 3 mid 90's Accord's. After one gets totaled from hitting deer or running into a ditch he buys another to drive and keeps the old ones for parts. Alot of the guys that live an hour or so from work in BFE have the biggest beaters. Cant blame them i guess. Seems as if they are always tagging deer or one guy clipped a horse on the way in.

There is a guy i work with that i would swear hasnt got his hand off the key before he pulls out of his parking spot. On top of that drives like a bat out of hell. He probaly has 3 mid 90's Accord's. After one gets totaled from hitting deer or running into a ditch he buys another to drive and keeps the old ones for parts. Alot of the guys that live an hour or so from work in BFE have the biggest beaters. Cant blame them i guess. Seems as if they are always tagging deer or one guy clipped a horse on the way in.

I'm just trying to picture this... the only way i can see it is if it's a manual, and he backed in, parked in gear rather than with parking brake...

I'm just trying to picture this... the only way i can see it is if it's a manual, and he backed in, parked in gear rather than with parking brake...

And you would be correct on all three.

Edited by 20thGix

What if you put a 20 year old brand new tire on a 2013? Max was 35 back in the day?

why would you do that in the first place? what if i put tank treads on it instead? what if i put bicycle road tires on it that can go to 150psi? what if aliens reported it where i wanted it to go?

what if i made up weird "what if" scenarios that would never happen so i can rationalize why i got a question wrong? :p

Edited by John
  • Upvote 1

and disconnected the clutch safety switch, and starts it in gear so it starts moving instantly lol

and disconnected the clutch safety switch, and starts it in gear so it starts moving instantly lol

Well, you could, but I'm thinking that if you crank the engine, you could dump the clutch before letting go of the key without being really awkward about how long you're grasping the key... parked on a downhill you'd start moving before the engine was running.

Edited by magley64

why would you do that in the first place? what if i put tank treads on it instead? what if i put bicycle road tires on it that can go to 150psi? what if aliens reported it where i wanted it to go?

what if i made up weird "what if" scenarios that would never happen so i can rationalize why i got a question wrong? :p

Bite me. Could happen. I have tires in my barn, if they fit, I'd use them. I never use the vehicles suggestion. The question is for normal people who live in a city with no resources and follow the sheep herders directions. ;)

Yep, some of those questions were bunk, nothing to do with maintenance. And the tire pressure question....I got it right but I always look on the tire for the pressure not the door frame.    Different tires, even when the correct size, can call for more pressure, and I want to match the requirement for the tires.

It was a fun test but really means nothing.

Too much pressure can negatively effect ride and handling.  Too low of pressure can do the same, AND cause dangerous overheating of the tire.  

If you're choosing the tire properly, not only going by size, but also load and speed ratings, the ideal pressure should be what is on the placard inside the door.  If the pressure inside the door is higher than the tire's max rating, go by the tire, and replace the tire with the proper tire for the vehicle.

Are you going to put a cruiser tire on a supersport bike and do a trackday?  I certainly hope not!

There's no recommended pressure on the tire ... All you can do is check the max and then guesstimate how much lower is safe to run... Nothing wrong with this system, it's how I do it too, but it's still not correct

I've had "professionals" inflate my tires to max (45psi!!!) and when I balked at that they told me "Nissan didn't make the tires, sir".

"And Firestone didn't make the car!!  Go by the door sticker!!"

I've had "professionals" inflate my tires to max (45psi!!!) and when I balked at that they told me "Nissan didn't make the tires, sir".

"And Firestone didn't make the car!!  Go by the door sticker!!"

So what if your cars a 1978. GO by the door sticker?