Minimum Wage to 11.50 in a few places... including DC

magley64

and now for a completely alternate view...

The first thing that happens, is the employers hire a percentage fewer people to adjust the new costs. The remaining minimum wage employees do their work and the work of the ones not hired. The effect is immediate.

Then when prices might go up, the end effect is not a collective gain to the wage earners that were looking for it. It becomes profit for some one else. (Along with an increase in unemployment.)

yup, screwed again... them, us, everyone (Except the ones that will take the opportunity to profit.)

eventually it might settle down, and be somewhat "normal". But don't count on it.

and now for a completely alternate view...

The first thing that happens, is the employers hire a percentage fewer people to adjust the new costs. The remaining minimum wage employees do their work and the work of the ones not hired. The effect is immediate.

Then when prices might go up, the end effect is not a collective gain to the wage earners that were looking for it. It becomes profit for some one else. (Along with an increase in unemployment.)

yup, screwed again... them, us, everyone (Except the ones that will take the opportunity to profit.)

eventually it might settle down, and be somewhat "normal". But don't count on it.

Another part of you scenario is increasingly bad customer service.

Sure, if you can get the current produce manager to quit... at the grocery store I started in he had been the produce manager for 8 years, and wasn't retiring for another 30 or 40. The store manager had been there 18 years, and wasn't retiring for another 25 or 30.

When I was working at Giant Eagle, our "night manager" (meaning he supervised the guys who stocked shelves and unloaded trucks) was promoted to manager of another store.

I was promoted from bagger/cart wrangler to cashier.  They asked me to cover shifts in produce, floral, and the bakery, and I would ring-up items when those departments were not staffed (closed at 9 back then, but the store was open until 11)

Additionally, two of our department managers were college students who had no intention of staying there when they completed their degrees.  My point is that there was definitely room to move up within that store, or move to a sister-store, or go to a competitor.  This notion that you have to "wait for someone to retire or quit" is just more assuming that a job should come to you, rather than you finding a better job.

I've never gotten a promotion I didn't ask for.  How many minimum wage-workers are able to ask for a promotion (or a raise) and keep a straight face?

Maybe they can even afford some night school with their new raise?

hahahaha - no one can afford college anymore.  Maybe community college. The government loans allow people to finance a degree, but I'm a freakin' attorney and I can't really afford college!

Making more money actually means you qualify for less loan money.

My first real job paid less then $2 and hour but gas was only 28 cent a gallon back then When I started at Eaton I was making $5 and hour running a braider when I quit over 30 years later I had some college degs and was making over $30 and hour but I think those types of jobs are gone most have moved to Mexico or China raising the minimum wage will only drive the price of everything higher and in the end not help anyone.

Haha, my first job started at $1.15 minumum wage. Went up to $1.20 minumum wage that Summer and was big increase.

And there were tons of jobs at minimum wage. Easy to find one.

So 11.50 is 10 times the minimum wage of 1968. Impressive not.

edit: everything is relative, tuition at OSU was 125 bucks a quarter plus fees and books.

Edited by ReconRat